• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Praeger

Apr 7, 2014
    Howard County
    I spread the cleaned casings on a large beach towel. Use magnet to pick up stray pins, fold over extra towel and pad dry. From there just put into an open plastic container and what moisture is left will evaporate overnight.

Navyblue

May 30, 2013
    Calvert
    I cant recommend using steel pins and a tumbler enough. I bought the two drum rock tumbler from Harbor Freight after a discount for about $50 then I bought a 2.5 lb bag of pins from Amazon for about $25. A little water, half teaspoon of lemishine a dash of dishsoap and they look like brand new brass. Outside, inside and the primer pockets and holes are slick as a whistle. Here are pics of some .38 special brass I cleaned up this past weekend.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D0HP05U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    http://www.harborfreight.com/dual-drum-rotary-rock-tumbler-67632.html

Last edited:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Another thing against SS pins. It seems that the layer of carbon in the neck helps maintain proper neck tension. Without this carbon layer the bullet micro welds to the case neck leading to excessive force to break the bullet free for rounds after time.

So for consistency, you need that carbon layer.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    Another thing against SS pins. It seems that the layer of carbon in the neck helps maintain proper neck tension. Without this carbon layer the bullet micro welds to the case neck leading to excessive force to break the bullet free for rounds after time.

Cough cough, bull. Many reloads on the same brass. No issues. If this were a real issue, stainless would not be as popular as it is on so many forums.

Enjoy your stainless.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Cough cough, bull. Many reloads on the same brass. No issues. If this were a real issue, stainless would not be as popular as it is on so many forums.

Enjoy your stainless.

Lots of things are popular on many forums, that are not necessarily the best thing. :)

Roadhawg

Bee Farmer
    Jul 18, 2014
    Free America

This info seems suspect, milspec rifle brass starts with fresh clean brass, the neck has sealer applied to waterproof and then there is the factory crimp.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Hmmm... there goes the cookie sheet idea.

You can buy 2-3 packs of heavy foil cookies sheets in WM for about $5. Should last forever, not much $ if you bend them beyond use. Or as mentioned line the wives with foil or buy a cheap one of your own. I bought one years ago to clean guns on. Just throw some news paper on it and good to go. Roll up the mess and throw it away. The sides hold parts that roll around.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    I have some brass that is dk brown from being in the field can these be shined again? If not or either way can brass be turned black similar to the Noveske ( I think) 300 blk rounds they came out with? Will ammonia fumes make them black? Shiney brass is great but I just need to find them in sparse grass and after a month they camo themselves, like chameleons. !
    I am leaning towards SS though.

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes

Really? Do new ammo manufacturers put a carbon layer in their brass at the factory? :lol2:
    Not really sure where that came from. "Micro welding" sure sounds like a sales pitch. I would spend more time verifying your source.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    This info seems suspect, milspec rifle brass starts with fresh clean brass, the neck has sealer applied to waterproof and then there is the factory crimp.

And is military ammo known for being the most accurate ammo available????

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I have some brass that is dk brown from being in the field can these be shined again? If not or either way can brass be turned black similar to the Noveske ( I think) 300 blk rounds they came out with? Will ammonia fumes make them black? Shiney brass is great but I just need to find them in sparse grass and after a month they camo themselves, like chameleons. !
    I am leaning towards SS though.

If they can be made shiny again SS will do it. You'll be surprised.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    There are those that go both ways. Bench rest shooters run a brush through the case neck, but leave a nice coating of carbon. Works for them.

But other match shooters load and shoot the rounds in a fairly short order. But there has been some data with a change in bullet pull force, that could lead to velocity variations.

Do what makes you happy, just throwing out some other data.

I never found that obsessively cleaned brass shot any better than that cleaned just enough to avoid damage to the dies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom