SR2188 - US Senate Reciprocity Bill (HR 822 Pairing)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Lugar was a NO vote on Thune and now is a GOA sponsor? Assuming he'd also support the Manchin bill-looks like getting 60 votes got a little easier. Just a matter of GETTING a vote.

shawn

Oct 23, 2007
    Lugar was a NO vote on Thune and now is a GOA sponsor? Assuming he'd also support the Manchin bill-looks like getting 60 votes got a little easier. Just a matter of GETTING a vote.

Can you elaborate on this post?

Senator Lugar was one of two republicans who voted NO on the last National Reciprocity bill. (Bill S. 1390 in 2009. Thune Amendment was No. 1618)

Are you saying it would be easier to get 60 votes on the Democrat Sponsored bill than the Thune bill. Do you think Lugar would be more inclined to vote for the democrat sponsored one?

I looked on govtrack and it says this about Lugar

Sen. Richard Lugar [R-IN] (withdrawn Mar 21, 2012)

So it looks like he pulled his co-sponsorship of the Thune sponsored S. 2213 bill

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    I'm thinking if those GOA sponsors had to choose between the Manchin/HR 822 bill and no bill at all, they choose the Manchin bill.
    Not sure why Lugar withdrew-maybe he's going to support the other bill.

shawn

Oct 23, 2007
    I'm thinking if those GOA sponsors had to choose between the Manchin/HR 822 bill and no bill at all, they choose the Manchin bill.
    Not sure why Lugar withdrew-maybe he's going to support the other bill.

I hope he supports one bill because last time he voted NO and it was only 2 votes shy of passing.

Swoop

Say hello to my little...
    Mar 25, 2012
    MD
    I am not going to get my hopes up. But, oh how nice it would be drive the lefties nuts when it comes to both 2nd and 10th amendments, for which they have a particular distaste for those two amendments.

shawn

Oct 23, 2007
    And Manchin replaced Robert Byrd, who was a DID NOT VOTE the last time. There's your 2 votes.

Maybe I am a pessimist but I heard that last time Harry reid knew it didn't have enough votes to pass so he allowed some "blue dog" democrats to vote YES on it to look good for their voters and reelection campaigns.

So my fear is that we can't count on those same democrat votes this time around.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Maybe I am a pessimist but I heard that last time Harry reid knew it didn't have enough votes to pass so he allowed some "blue dog" democrats to vote YES on it to look good for their voters and reelection campaigns.

So my fear is that we can't count on those same democrat votes this time around.

Certainly possible-however there are a few senators in tight elections this year that voted no last time which may be flippable as well. I basically believe if this gets to a vote, it'll pass, probably as a rider.

shawn

Oct 23, 2007
    Certainly possible-however there are a few senators in tight elections this year that voted no last time which may be flippable as well. I basically believe if this gets to a vote, it'll pass, probably as a rider.

Lets hope it even get to a vote.

I hope it doesn't die in committee and hope it even makes it to a committee.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Lets hope it even get to a vote.

I hope it doesn't die in committee and hope it even makes it to a committee.

It's in the judiciary committee, which is not a good place to be. I'm pretty sure it won't get out of there, it'll only get out as a rider.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    http://www.poststarnews.com/news/x1...OALITION-FIGHTING-RACE-TO-THE-BOTTOM-GUN-LAWS

Not sure why this is coming out today, with the bill basically having to start from scratch once the new congress comes in. All in all it looks like the number of votes in the Senate hasn't changed, and we may possibly have gained 1 from last time.

Basically trying to drum up gun-control stories in friendly media outlets. Funny that this is coming from a smaller paper and not the NYT.

Reciprocity is a dead letter for the next two years. Obama would veto it absent a veto-proof majority. He has nothing to lose anymore. And frankly, it's probably dead through 2016, as the Republicans are apt to lose more seats in 2014 the ways it's going now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    alfontso

Latest threads

Top Bottom