"Square" credit card reader -- action item.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gabe72

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2012
    sharpsburg
    I don't use them in my towing business because of this, nor do I accept paypal or use paypal because of there anti-gun policy but yet I am amazed at the number of people I come across buying and selling in the firearm community that embrace paypal, including some on here that sell, it doesn't make sense to support the people that want to take away from your right.

Logan

Feb 8, 2012
    As far as they know you could be charging for yard work, who says you have to input gun related items if you accept purchases from someone?

:innocent0

HTArms

May 9, 2013
    Waynesboro, PA
    We noticed this when they sent the new TOS by email. We are now looking at other providers for the shop, but for the time being all of our transactions through them still come up "Gatehouse Candles" instead of "Hill Top Arms".

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    You guys might want to read the terms of use for this thing and make sure there is not a minimum use policy or if there is some kind of return policy.

There is no minimum use policy. We actually sent one back, then ordered another about 2 months later. No usage charge other than the percentage charged for each transaction.

It's really a great tool for the small business. We have 2 because you tie the sales to that account. One account is only used during holidays where we have a small seasonal retail business. The other is used when I do side jobs. So basically, One account has about 5000 transactions a year and the other one has about 30-50. Both are treated the same by Square.

I will have to look into this.

Jim Smith

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    Just cancelled our corporate account and told them what I thought of their policy.

Email string below:

Original message sent to Square via their website

Is it true that you will not allow companies doing business related to firearms to use Square's services?

Their reply:

-------- Original Message --------
    Subject: Re: terms of service
    From: Square Support Team <help@help-messaging.squareup.com>
    Date: Wed, May 15, 2013 12:02 pm
    To: training@proactiveshooters.com

Hello James,

Thanks for writing in. It is against our Seller Agreement to use Square for anything related to sales of (i) firearms, firearm parts or hardware, and ammunition; or (ii) weapons and other devices designed to cause physical injury.

Moving forward, please refrain from using Square to process these transactions or we will be forced to deactivate your account.

To learn more about Square’s Seller Agreement, please visit: https://squareup.com/legal/seller-agreement

Thank you for your cooperation.

Riley
    Square Support ​
    squareup.com/help
    LLC

My reply to them:

Riley,

Just to make you aware, a firearm is designed to fire a bullet. It is not designed to "cause physical injury". Do you prohibit customers from using Square to sell hammers, cars, knives, hockey sticks, or bottles? People use those to cause physical injury, despite what they are designed for.

My company provides firearms training to citizens of good repute, the military and law enforcement so that they can protect themselves from criminals, terrorists, and those who would "cause physical injury" I do not sell guns or ammunition, and I do not appreciate the tone of your reply or your company's stance of a Constitutionally protected right. Do you prohibit Square users from selling books, making church donations, or renting meeting space for peaceful assembly?

Shame on you, and shame on your company. Your company's stance is ill thought of in this day and age, and hurts many legitimate business owners, federal firearm dealers, shooting ranges, and the like. Its not surprising anymore that a company kowtows to the anti-gun establishment. You company should be ashamed of themselves. PLEASE go ahead and deactivate my account. I won't be needing your little credit card reader (which didn't work half the time anyway).

Disappointedly yours,

James Reynolds
    President & Chief Firearms Instructor

Proactive Shooters, LLC
    Firearms Safety Training & Instruction
    6010 West Broad Street
    Suite 205
    Henrico, Va. 23230
    804-282-0214

bcr229

FFL/SOT
    Jul 15, 2011
    Inwood, WV
    I use Go Payment by Intuit very similar to a square reader. As far as I know they don't have an anti gun policy.
    Intuit started cutting off FFL's back in January.
    http://www.newschannel5.com/story/20701142/gun-dealers-have-problems-with-credit-card-processors
    http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/01/robert-farago/chase-banks-intuit-merchant-services-bans-nordic-components-credit-card-processing/

These guys are cheaper than Square and PayPal and are ok with handling merchant accounts for FFL's. For those of you still with PayPal, they will work with individuals as well as businesses.
    Direct Pay Me Solutions

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    Just cancelled our corporate account and told them what I thought of their policy.

Email string below:

Original message sent to Square via their website

Is it true that you will not allow companies doing business related to firearms to use Square's services?

Their reply:

-------- Original Message --------
    Subject: Re: terms of service
    From: Square Support Team <help@help-messaging.squareup.com>
    Date: Wed, May 15, 2013 12:02 pm
    To: training@proactiveshooters.com

Hello James,

Thanks for writing in. It is against our Seller Agreement to use Square for anything related to sales of (i) firearms, firearm parts or hardware, and ammunition; or (ii) weapons and other devices designed to cause physical injury.

Moving forward, please refrain from using Square to process these transactions or we will be forced to deactivate your account.

To learn more about Square’s Seller Agreement, please visit: https://squareup.com/legal/seller-agreement

Thank you for your cooperation.

Riley
    Square Support ​
    squareup.com/help
    LLC

My reply to them:

Riley,

Just to make you aware, a firearm is designed to fire a bullet. It is not designed to "cause physical injury". Do you prohibit customers from using Square to sell hammers, cars, knives, hockey sticks, or bottles? People use those to cause physical injury, despite what they are designed for.

My company provides firearms training to citizens of good repute, the military and law enforcement so that they can protect themselves from criminals, terrorists, and those who would "cause physical injury" I do not sell guns or ammunition, and I do not appreciate the tone of your reply or your company's stance of a Constitutionally protected right. Do you prohibit Square users from selling books, making church donations, or renting meeting space for peaceful assembly?

Shame on you, and shame on your company. Your company's stance is ill thought of in this day and age, and hurts many legitimate business owners, federal firearm dealers, shooting ranges, and the like. Its not surprising anymore that a company kowtows to the anti-gun establishment. You company should be ashamed of themselves. PLEASE go ahead and deactivate my account. I won't be needing your little credit card reader (which didn't work half the time anyway).

Disappointedly yours,

James Reynolds
    President & Chief Firearms Instructor

Proactive Shooters, LLC
    Firearms Safety Training & Instruction
    6010 West Broad Street
    Suite 205
    Henrico, Va. 23230
    804-282-0214

Way to go Jim!'

I have been fighting getting one for years and was just getting ready to order one. I guess I will be looking for a processor that is less hostile toward the shooting community.

HTArms

May 9, 2013
    Waynesboro, PA
    Well, yesterday was the last day that Square could be used for Firearms or Ammo transactions. We had to find a new 2nd Amendment friendly credit card company for our shop, which was a royal pain since it required us to get a credit card reader/terminal and run a phone line to our checkout kiosk.

We are hoping to find another company that offers a convenient mobile reader for my phone/iPad so we take it to shows.

I truly hope the loss of revenue hurts Square more than they expected!

JasonB

Ultimate Member
    Sep 4, 2012
    Belcamp
    The other thing we can do is stop patronizing businesses that use square to process payments and let them know why. We don't want any of our money going to their credit card processor. We can force non-firearm businesses to cancel as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom