• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sje0123

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2007
    Abingdon, MD
    I have a Springfield XD9 Bi-Tone I've had for around 5 yrs or so. I keep it well maintained, oiled, etc. I make sure there are no oils from my hands on it before storing it and all.

Lately, I have been noticing the slide is starting to get rust spots. Nothing absolutely horrible but enough to bother me aesthetically. I took a copper bristle brush to it and it cleaned it up a little but but didn't get it all. I can snap a few pictures tomorrow.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to rid it completely of rust and what I am doing wrong that it is rusting? I have a lot of the silica gel packs right next to it in my safe to keep it dry so I doubt moisture is an issue.

Will Springfield warranty an issue like this? I'm guessing no as this is probably my fault in some way. Let me know what I'm doing wrong.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    You should lightly oil a gun before you store it.
    Oxygen causes rust... H2O speeds it up...

The oil over the metal prevents the O2 from reaching the metal and oxidizing it.

FYI... you probably had a brass brush.

sje0123

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2007
    Abingdon, MD
    yeah brass whatever same color lol

I do oil the slide. I run an oiled patch over the slide every time I put it away. I clean the gun every time I shoot it too.

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    I've read this other places. I have a few xd's, one of them being a bi-tone and oil the snot out of it for that reason. I've never had a problem personally, but if I do I've been warned.

disco dan

Car Nut
    Feb 23, 2010
    use motor oil on a patch my XD-40 did the same thing a few years ago. i did this once and it never did it again

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    SA's customer service is outstanding, give them a call. A buddy of mine had rust issues with his XD, but he did buy it when they first came out and SA took care of him. Worth a call at least.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    SA's customer service is outstanding, give them a call. A buddy of mine had rust issues with his XD, but he did buy it when they first came out and SA took care of him. Worth a call at least.

:thumbsup: This mans answer is correct. If its started to rust it wont stop, you will only slow it down. It likely needs a refinish.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    About oils, not all are created equal. A better choice for long-term storage (not daily carry) is grease such as RIG or Weapon Shield. I use both and have had zero issues, save for minor rust that collects under the grips of my Colt 1911. I carry it pretty much daily and once a week remove the grips to wipe off the surface rust forming there.

I put grease under the grips, but with daily carry a slight bit forms, and if I stay ahead of it i won't have issues. Eventually I may cera-cote it or use some sort of spray-on finish that is a better barrier for rust.

Splitter

R.I.P.
    Jun 25, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    About oils, not all are created equal. A better choice for long-term storage (not daily carry) is grease such as RIG or Weapon Shield. I use both and have had zero issues, save for minor rust that collects under the grips of my Colt 1911. I carry it pretty much daily and once a week remove the grips to wipe off the surface rust forming there.

I put grease under the grips, but with daily carry a slight bit forms, and if I stay ahead of it i won't have issues. Eventually I may cera-cote it or use some sort of spray-on finish that is a better barrier for rust.

Ok, so what is the best way to take care of rust under grips? Not heavy rust by any means, just some minor spots.

Splitter

Billcw

Ultimate Member
    Oct 26, 2008
    Hanover,md
    just remember it may be stainless but stainless can rust .. especially those that require heat treating .. :)

hailtoby

Running with the Devil.
    Sep 5, 2009
    Charles County
    Are you getting rust in the serrations on the slide? I have a bi-tone XD40 from 2004. I have corrosion forming in that same spot, but only on the rear serrations, the fronts are fine.

I have always meticulously cleaned and wiped down after handling it. I have heard that they have since changed a manufacturing process due to rusty stainless slides but I have yet to contact SA about it.

After brushing and oiling it, its hardly noticeable but it irks the hell out of me.

If you find anything out about getting the slide refinished, please let us know.

KMA

Jan 17, 2010
    harford county
    kano kroil oil and 0000 steel wool will fix it all of their answers are good ones but kroil is the best available oil to get under the rust and stop it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom