• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldman12

Ultimate Member
    Sep 19, 2010
    "Merrica" Eastern Camp
    Hey guys, Im thinking about buying a pistol. not really interested in a 9mm,want something alitte better for security,tactical, SHTF scenario.

I have always looked at the XD model, just not sure about polymer, like the Sig p220, just didn't want to spend that kinda money. The 1911 ,eh looks nice but alittle big and bulky ,kinda like my Gp100, trying to get the ok for dad day present.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    It's a nice pistol and was my first handgun. It's true, it's hard to beat someone to death with a polymer frame gun, but that's why I keep mine loaded with ammo. :D

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    It's a nice pistol and was my first handgun. It's true, it's hard to beat someone to death with a polymer frame gun, but that's why I keep mine loaded with ammo. :D

My first handgun was the XDm .45. I couldn't be happier.

Kids these days. When I got my first handgun the only polymer framed handgun was the HK VP70z.

At one point SA wouldn't sell all of the parts needed to maintain the XD series, because they said their lifetime warranty made it unnecessary. However for SHTF, you would want either a second XD or a complete set of spares.

I forget which tactical training expert doesn't like the XD series because you can't work the slide unless the grip safety is depressed. If you are injured and can't hold the gun properly.....

As for size vs a 1911, compare them side by side. Yes, a XD or S&W M&P will have a 1911 beat with mag capacity.

oldman12

Ultimate Member
    Sep 19, 2010
    "Merrica" Eastern Camp
    I hadn't thought about Glocks,mainly cause years ago when Baltimore went with that contract ,I remember officers stateing stress cracks on the frame,and to me non steele frame just doesn't sound right for duarability.I am old school, this would be my first slide action,I have always had revolvers.

Polymer frames have been around now for years so Im thinking its time. Also wanted to check out the tactical pistol coarse at Freestate.

AtomicAge

Jul 20, 2010
    Charm City, MD
    I hadn't thought about Glocks,mainly cause years ago when Baltimore went with that contract ,I remember officers stateing stress cracks on the frame,and to me non steele frame just doesn't sound right for duarability.

I remember hearing that.. and I think that's always in the back of mind, and why I have no love for Glocks. I was definitely concerned with durability when looking at polymer frames. But, like I said, I couldn't be happier with my choice.

CroftonBilly

Huge Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2011
    Crofton
    I just bought my XDM 45 bitone from Mark at 2A two weeks ago and he gave me a great price. I couldn't be happier with it. It compliments my stainless 1911 very well.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    I should also add that while I enjoy shooting my XD45, the Glock 30 comes out of the safe more often for trips to Freestate. The only reason I don't own a Glock 21 is because of the XD45 which I'm unwilling to sell. I try to keep some sort of "reasonable restrictions" on my collection and two full size polymer pistols would be redundant.

Lex Armarum

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    I HAD a Springfield XD 45 and traded it in for a CZ97B. Never looked back. CZ is the waaaaaayyyyyyyy to go.

All steel frame; a grip that just seems to fit naturally in your hand; it's a hammer gun so you can carry at half-cock; smooth action; smooth trigger; a little difficult to take apart but manageable.

Nonetheless, I won't say anything bad about the XD. I liked the gun but I like the CZ better.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I have the 75b and I'm going to agree I'd own that over the XD anyday. Taking mine apart is simple my only grip would be the location of the slide release lever and I have big hands.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    I HAD a Springfield XD 45 and traded it in for a CZ97B. Never looked back. CZ is the waaaaaayyyyyyyy to go.

All steel frame; a grip that just seems to fit naturally in your hand; it's a hammer gun so you can carry at half-cock; smooth action; smooth trigger; a little difficult to take apart but manageable.

Nonetheless, I won't say anything bad about the XD. I liked the gun but I like the CZ better.

Why would you want to carry at half cock? With most guns, half cock is there as a "oh no" in case the hammer slips while manually cocking the gun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom