• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • campns

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    Anyone shot one of these? is any eaiser the handle than a standard M1A? it seemed lighter but holding and drooling is way diffrent than shooting.

Any feedback?

thinking this is going to be my big buy before Oct 1. But i want to know what others have thoughts about it before i lay down some cash. :party29:

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    I've shot the scout. Which has an 18' barrel. It handles a lo better than a loaded which I have also fired. The SOCOM has a 16.5 inch barrel? So it should handle even better.

Hope this helps.

Gummy

May 16, 2009
    Eden
    I like my SOCOM but it is loud and the low light flash is blinding. I've got mine in a Troy MCS stock. Still trying to find a reasonable 1-4x scope.

JCB003

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2007
    In my limited handling of the shorter M1A rifles I preferred the SOCOM 16 over the SOCOM II. That rail on the II is massive and the 16 seemed better balanced to me, however without a loaded magazine it's hard to judge.

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    Admittedly I'm a huge M14 honk. What I don't get are the Socom versions. A .308 never has and never will be a CQB type of rifle. Get an AR for that. Let the M14 do what it does best, hit hard with a 22" barrel and reach out beyond typical 5.56 ranges.

Apr 8, 2012
    Earth
    I've shot one. I can't say I liked it much. It was still very heavy and cumbersome to hold. But then again, I'm used to AR's and the feel of the M1a was just weird to me.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    I like all M1As. The SOCOM is loud as all hell and a blast to shoot. Were not taking these into combat people....they shoot paper and steel.

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    I like all M1As. The SOCOM is loud as all hell and a blast to shoot. Were not taking these into combat people....they shoot paper and steel.

The m1a/m14 is so sweet I think the ghost of John Browning was in the room when they were conceived. I have a socom II it is a fast handling big banger. It in fact is my go to rifle for shtf.

When the Travon after dark festives were a possability it rode behind the seat of the truck. I punch paper and steel but if I have to punch the steel on a car door or trunk I want to do it in style.

Now the socom, with out the rail is a little handier and lighter also the lack of rail makes a better front grip.

Its a m1a you can not go wrong .

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    i wanted a socom as well untill i realized A: id never find one before october that i could afford. B: did i mention expensive? and C:most people have a problem realizing what they will be paying ammo wise for 223, let alone 308 lol

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Admittedly I'm a huge M14 honk. What I don't get are the Socom versions. A .308 never has and never will be a CQB type of rifle. Get an AR for that. Let the M14 do what it does best, hit hard with a 22" barrel and reach out beyond typical 5.56 ranges.
    The question in my mind is not "AR-15 vs M1A". It's whether you really need an M1A with a 22" barrel for this application. You don't lose a lot of velocity going to the 18" barrel, and you do get a rifle that is significantly easier to handle and carry. I will admit that I think 16.5" is probably where it gets a little too short, though...

C:most people have a problem realizing what they will be paying ammo wise for 223, let alone 308 lol
    You can get steel-cased-zinc-plated .308 for 50c a round these days. Yeah, when 5.56x45 calms down, it'll be more expensive... but the price differential isn't super huge if you shoot steel-cased. I also find myself shooting the major calibers a lot less per session than the intermediate ones... my shoulder can't really handle mag dumps of .308 or 7.62x54r for very long!

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life

I agree with everything you've said, except that the 18" Scout/Squad (used to be called "Bush Rifle"!) is REALLY sweet!!!!!!!

Scout/Squad M1A "is" perfection!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:
    (Just can't find 'em now!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom