• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Southern Cross

Oct 2, 2007
    Chase, MD
    Anyone know where I can score one of those Springfield D-Day Commemorative M1 Garands they released a few years ago? I would very much like to purchase one. The only ones I can find are on Gun Broker or Guns America for $3000...and thats just too much when I can get the nearly identical Iwo Jima version for $1500. I'm looking to find one south of $2000 (I just missed one on GA by a month). It doesn't have to be NIB but it does have to include everything it came with when new...especially the wooden crate. I've always wanted a Garand in my collection and this is the one I'd like to get. I'm also looking for any good opinions on the rifle...that is reasons I shouldn't buy the D-Day version over another. This is going to be a non-shooter...or very rarely shot rifle that I would like to hand down to my son one day many many moons from now. So if you think you know of a better version that fits that bill let me know. I'm going to search for a few weeks...maybe months...if I can't find one I'm going to go ahead and buy one of the Iwo Jima editions that are mechanically identical...just different lithograph on the case and engraving on the M1. There's just something about the D-Day version that is calling to me.

Just in case you do not know to what I'm referring to here is a shot of one that was for sale awhile back. I just grabbed the photo from his post...I couldn't find a better one...

100_2283.jpg

Thanks for the assist.

Southern Cross

Oct 2, 2007
    Chase, MD
    I believe Bel Air Gun and Pawn had one. Give them a call.

Thanks I will give them a call and let you know how it goes.

I know my post count is low for how long I've been a member. I don't remember joining that long ago but I must have joined and then forgot! I only started posting a few weeks ago. I added this site to my daily views now so I should be good to go now.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    To each his own, but why?

You can get a Correct Grade from the CMP for only $950, and not only is it shootable, but truly collectable. (Late '50s vintage.)

Or you can get a Service Grade for $595 that's just about as good, maybe better than the Correct. I have both: the Service has some mixed parts: HRA trigger group in a 1943 SA receiver, etc. Also a replacement stock that's better than the one on that refinished "commemorative" mixmaster.

To each his own, but that "commemorative" is worth less than my $595 Service Grade.

Just saying.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville

You can get a Correct Grade from the CMP for only $950, and not only is it shootable, but truly collectable. (Late '50s vintage.)

Or you can get a Service Grade for $595 that's just about as good, maybe better than the Correct. I have both: the Service has some mixed parts: HRA trigger group in a 1943 SA receiver, etc. Also a replacement stock that's better than the one on that refinished "commemorative" mixmaster.

To each his own, but that "commemorative" is worth less than my $595 Service Grade.

Just saying.

What he said.

Luke 12:49

A Good Ole Boy
    Feb 18, 2009
    Culvert County

Just saying.

I completely agree that there are better "deals" than the M1's from CMP but I took his question as to be regarding the similar type of M! as in the photo above...now I'm not sure the one's from CMP come in a sweet box like that but I do know most of them are numbers matching M1's which is what I presumed he was looking for.

However, I also secondhand what you're saying, there are M1's all around for less the $700.00!

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    No I agreed with you, Luke, when you said
    You should also check out CMP

As for value, it's a tricky thing, and there are different ways of measuring it. Perhaps the OP would be happier with that "commemorative." than with a Correct Grade costing 1/2 as much.

Perhaps he'll put it on display, and get a lot of happiness looking at it. Perhaps he'll take it out to the range and let it go BANGBANGBANGBANGBANGBANGBANGBANGPING!!! the way it's meant to.

If he tries to sell it, he either has to find someone who both 1) Wants a multi-thousand dollar imitation "commemorative",
    and
    2) can afford it.

That is a VERY small pool of potential buyers, and that pool is going to get smaller and smaller, as fewer people have extra money for luxeries.

Of course, if he hopes to retain it's value in that tiny, specialized niche market for "commemoratives", he can NEVER fire it, or scratch it, or ding it. Basically, it must be kept under glass, and never handled.

It has zero value for collectors. A serious collector would blanche in horror, and HOPE it IS a re-weld!

The only other resale market is as a shooter, and then it's competing with all the CMP shooters that are out there. But a lot of potential buyers are going to be seriously turned off by the "commemorative" modifications. I think most potential buyers would see the engravings and carvings as detracting from it's value. I could replace the butchered up stock and the vandalized op-rod, but it looks like someone engraved the receiver, and that can't be fixed.

That's assuming it's even shootable. It probably started out as a Rack Grade, or maybe even as a re-weld before the "commemorative" scam-artists got ahold of it. At least I know my $595 Service Grade has a good barrel and throat, is mechanically sound, as has an honest Greek re-park job.

That thing doesn't even have fake lock bar sights, for crying out loud!
    http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=506934

At least my Service Grade used to have lock-bars, before it's post war re-build.
    Since mine was made in 1943, it could have even gone ashore on D-Day!

-----------------------
    Look, I want to apologize to the OP. I really, really don't mean to put him down, or come across like some negative @$$hole jerk. To each his own, and if that thing is worth $2000 to him, then it is indeed worth every penny of that $2000, to him. But very few others would pay 1/3 that.

A POSITIVE suggestion: get a nice Service Grade for $595. Include a note with your order asking for a WWII serial number, which is what I did. They'll try to honor that request if it's not too much trouble (no guarentee). Then buy or build a nice display case. Get a bayonet, a 48 star flag, maybe a "Stars and Stripes" reprint with a headline like "Yanks pour across Rhine at Remagen!" You could have a lot of fun putting together a really nice display like that. That would be a real commemorative, in my unsolicited opinion.

And you could take your M1 out and let it go BANGBANGBANGBANGBANGBANGBANGBANGPING!!!

-----------------------------------

Southern Cross

Oct 2, 2007
    Chase, MD
    I checked Belair and they only had the Camp Perry version for $1500...which I was going to check out until....see below...

I wanted the Springfield Commemorative version strictly for its D-Day association, lithograph, engravings, etc. I didn't plan on shooting it or selling it at a later date...just passing it on down the family line. I read all of the same stuff said above when these came out. Everyone said it had zero collectors value and would not go up in price. Thats why I was confused when I couldn't find one under $3000 just a few years after they came out. Any...my mind was still set on the D-Day Edition even with everything said (don't worry I didn't think anyone was bashing...its all true) until I read Threeband's idea.

I truly think I would get more enjoyment out of making my own display, case etc and buying a CMP Garand. Being able to shoot it and the fact that is truly closer to a D-Day "collectible" than the Springfield versions are a big plus. So that's what I'm going to do. I have a few questions though...

First...where can I get one...I checked the CMP site out and didn't see any rifles for sale. I may have had the wrong sight though...I never checked them out before...or looked for an M1 for that matter.

Second...is there a place I check out the differences between the grades?

Last but not least...Would the $595 (Are they still this cheap) Service Grade be up to cosmetic snuff for a display?

Thanks for the help guys. It is much appreciated.

A Good Ole Boy
    Feb 18, 2009
    Culvert County
    Southern Cross, I just spoke with oldsarge and we've sorted it out to help you out a bit...here's what you've got to do...first and foremost you've got to have an active, or retired valid Military ID, and you've got to register with CMP. If you have not yet done so, go right ahead, otherwise you're golden!

I'm not sure what site you've looked at but; http://www.odcmp.com/ is the correct site, and at the bottom is where you want to go, you should see a picture of an M1 Garand, and right above it is a picture of a warehouse building with the words "CMP Stores" written in yellow. Click on that and it will take you here; http://www.odcmp.com/Store.htm

Once there you should see a whole slew of tabs at the top of the page, about dead-center is a tab titled; "M1 Rifles" click that and it will take you here; http://www.thecmp.org/m1garand.htm

From here you should be able to pick out any of the M1's you like as well as other rifles on the left hand side of the screen under "Rifles". But they have different M1's listed on the page, some as low as $595.00 and some as high as $3000.00. oldsarge also told me that if you're able to make it up to Ohio (since it's closer to MD as opposed to Alabama) you can call them, and let them know you're coming by to pick out an M1 and you can hand-pick the M1 you would like to add to your collection.

I take a 5% commission on helping you find a suitable M1 for you and your son...no just kidding but if you've got any more questions let me, or oldsarge, know...we'll be glad to help out!

Good luck!

beaglefan

Nov 29, 2008
    Essex md.
    Hey people collect guns for all kind of reasons.If you want one,get it.I would rather have one with a ww2 dated receiver.Seen those D-day guns at gun shows and they are pretty.Would be a cool thing to have handed down to you someday though.They really should have put the earlier lockbar on them.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Oh, man I am so glad I was able to make a positive contribution, rather than be a jerk!

Getting a rifle from the CMP is a LOT easier than most people realize. Check out this information:

http://www.thecmp.org/eligibility.htm

It's not as confusing as it looks.

Basically, they want to know that you're an adult citizen. They want you to belong to some sort of gun related organization , and they want some suggestion that you've actually fired a gun before. You DON'T have to shoot in a competition anymore. You don't have to be former military.

> For the "Membership in CMP Affiliated Organization" you can join the Garand Collectors Association :
    http://www.thegca.org/

Tip:

on the membership form, http://www.thegca.org/images/GCAMemApp.pdf.pdf check off the box that says "I WOULD like my GCA membership confirmation released to the Civilian Marksmanship Program.Initial here please: __________."

Then on the CMP order form, when they ask for proof of membership, just write "GCA: check database" and the CMP can confirm it themselves.

For the "Firearms Related Activity:", if nothing else, you can do what I did. Print out this form: http://www.odcmp.com/forms/marksmanship.pdf and get someone to sign off on it. I put the form on a clip board, along with a pen, and asked the Range Officer at Marriottsville to watch me shoot, and check me off, which he did. Of course, if you're former military, have a C&R license, or shoot in competition, then you're golden. Point is, they make it easy these days. Just look over their list.

Now, print out these four pages of forms:
    http://www.thecmp.org/pdfs/OrderFormJan2009.pdf

They want you to include all four pages with your order. Page four is a very convenient checklist that makes the whole thing less confusing.

Page two has to be notarized. Any decent bank will do it for free, if you ask nicely. (BB&T got snooty, and wouldn't do it, although I have 3 accounts there. I went to Susquehanna, where I have no account, and the Nice Lady was happy to notarize it for me, no charge.)

The hardest part is deciding what to get. Check this page:
    http://www.thecmp.org/m1garand.htm

The Service Grade is probably the best deal for a shooter, and it's either that or a Field Grade if you want WWII.

IF YOU WANT WWII:

It has to be either Springfield (SA) or Winchester, and they don't have Winchester! Serial number has to be below about 3,800,000, of course lower is better. HRAs (Harrington and Richardson) were all made in the 1950s.

Put a sticky note on your order that says "Please send a WWII reciever if possible. Thank you." They select from pallets of rifles, ten to a layer. They will try to honor polite, reasonable requests, if they can find a suitable rifle in the TOP LAYER.

You take what they send you. It's part of the fun.

Many of the Service Grades have new birch stocks. Many were re-parkerized by the Greeks. Many look almost brand new. They are good shooters.

I wouldn't get too hung up in the WWII thing. They are all mixmasters: the Army routinely stripped piles of rifles down to individual parts, mixed them up, and reassembled them. They did that while refurbishing them, and even when cleaning them. Mine has a Dec. 43 reciever and bolt, and a wartime gas cylinder lock ("no hump"), but everything else is post war upgrade. Rebarreled in '55.

CORRECT GRADES are all from the mid-late 1950s. They are NOT mixmasters. All parts are "correct" for manufacturer and approximate date. Parts could be mixed, but from identical rifles, so no one could tell. Stocks are also original, but may have minor gouges (mine does). Finish is original parkerizing: chambers are still bright. These rifles are almost pristine. Many appear to have never been issued. One would look GREAT in a display. Some people don't shoot them, but I think most agree they SHOULD be shot: just treat them gently.

Service Grade is more of a crap shoot. You'll get a GREAT shooter, but maybe not an ideal display piece.

Correct is definately going to be a great display piece AND a great shooter. More expensive though.

Also, you must load up on AMMUNITION: http://www.thecmp.org/ammosales.htm.

Also, get a carbine, a 17 Enfield, and an 03 Springfield, and a Mossberg M44.

Seriously, check out the Forum http://www.odcmp.org/new_forum/
    and ask questions there. Lots of people to give you good info and suggestions.

Also, post pictures HERE when you get your rifles!

-------------------

Southern Cross

Oct 2, 2007
    Chase, MD
    Awesome...you guys are awesome. Thank you so much for the detailed help. You helped me avoid a costly mistake and it looks like the CMP Garand is an easy choice for the way to go. I checked out their site (I had the wrong one) and I am definitely going to go with the Correct Grade Garand through them. I may event get a Service Grade model also and use that as my shooter. The National Match models were crazy expensive. Since I am not current/former military I will need to take the steps necessary in order to purchase from them. I may even get invovled in competition shooting. The club (MRC) I belong to (I actually haven't re-upped this year) is very involved in competition shooting. Since they're part of the AGC I'll also get the range officer at Marriottsville to sign off on me. I was checking out some of the Correct Grades on GB & GA and they look near pristine...looks like they even give you a little purchase certificate like a gift tag...From: CMP To: John Q Public...pretty cool and I'm sure that will add to the sentimental value for my son.

I can't thank you guys enough for all of the help. I will let you guys know what I get and post some pics. I need to take some pics of my guns and put them up here anyway. I just hate the way my beauties look with my camera...flash ruins them!

PS - I love the "Writing Stick" they had on their site that is made from a broken Garand stock. Pretty darn cool.

A Good Ole Boy
    Feb 18, 2009
    Culvert County
    Awesome...you guys are awesome. Thank you so much for the detailed help. You helped me avoid a costly mistake and it looks like the CMP Garand is an easy choice for the way to go. I checked out their site (I had the wrong one) and I am definitely going to go with the Correct Grade Garand through them. I may event get a Service Grade model also and use that as my shooter. The National Match models were crazy expensive. Since I am not current/former military I will need to take the steps necessary in order to purchase from them. I may even get invovled in competition shooting. The club (MRC) I belong to (I actually haven't re-upped this year) is very involved in competition shooting. Since they're part of the AGC I'll also get the range officer at Marriottsville to sign off on me. I was checking out some of the Correct Grades on GB & GA and they look near pristine...looks like they even give you a little purchase certificate like a gift tag...From: CMP To: John Q Public...pretty cool and I'm sure that will add to the sentimental value for my son.

I can't thank you guys enough for all of the help. I will let you guys know what I get and post some pics. I need to take some pics of my guns and put them up here anyway. I just hate the way my beauties look with my camera...flash ruins them!

PS - I love the "Writing Stick" they had on their site that is made from a broken Garand stock. Pretty darn cool.

No problem at all! Glad to be here to help you out...let me know how their selection is, when/if you go up to Ohio to get one, maybe I'll take my Dad (retired Army) up there to get one for "him" ;)

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    how are the rack grades?

Just now, they don't have any Rackers. Field Grade is between Rack and Service. From what I hear, they can be pretty good, if you realize it's going to need cosmetic work at least. May include Beretta parts, along with U.S. (Beretta made rifles and replacement parts for NATO allies, used the WWII Winchester tooling. Top quality, nothing wrong with them.)

Some people consider the Field Grade to be the real "best buy", but it's more of a project gun. Should be servicable right out of the box, though.

When reading the descriptions, realize that CMP tends to low-ball them. I mean, they can sound worse than they actually are. They are minimum standards. Some Field Grades could pass for Service Grade. If your rifle has problems and does not meet the minimum standard for the relevant description, the CMP will make it right. They have a reputation for excellent customer service.

http://www.thecmp.org/m1garand.htm
    RACK GRADE: (Fair)
    Rack Grade Rifles. Most of these rifles have been refinished or rebuilt at least once while in military service and will likely have some parts from other manufacturers. Rifle wear will be exhibited by worn and mixed colors of the finish; there may be some minor pitting on the metal parts; wood will be basically sound but may be well used with minor hairline cracks, poor fit, and many dings, scratches and gouges; wood may not match in color, type of wood or condition. These rifles may have some foreign parts and wood may be Walnut, Birch, Beech or other variety. Rifles do not have import marks. Bores will be generally good with only minor imperfections; the barrel crown may be nicked, and the muzzle may gauge more than “3” on muzzle gauge. The Throat Erosion will gauge more than “5”The overall appearance and condition of the rack grade will generally be rougher than any other grade. Fair condition.

FIELD GRADE: (Fair to Good)
    Field Grade Rifles. Most of these rifles have been refinished or rebuilt at least once while in military service and will likely have some parts from other manufacturers. Fair to good condition. Rifle wear will be exhibited by worn and mixed colors of the finish; there may be some minor pitting on the metal parts; wood will be basically sound but may be well used with minor hairline cracks, and many dings, scratches and gouges; wood may not match in color, type of wood or condition. These rifles may have some foreign parts and wood may be Walnut, Birch, Beech or other variety. Rifles do not have import marks. Bores will be generally good with only minor imperfections; the barrel crown may be nicked, and the muzzle may gauge more than “3” on muzzle gauge. The Throat Erosion will gauge less than 5 – well within US Army standards. Do not expect rifles in mint condition in this grade.

SERVICE GRADE: (Good to Very Good)
    Service Grade Rifles show less wear and better appearance than Field or Rack Grades. Good to very good condition. Rifle wear will be exhibited by worn and mixed colors of the parkerized finish. There may be some minor pitting on the metal parts. Wood will be either Walnut, Birch, Beech or other variety and will be basically sound but may have minor hairline cracks, dings, scratches and gouges. Wood may not match in color or type of wood. Wood may be of new production on Service Grade Garands. Bores will be generally good with only minor imperfections. The barrel crown may be nicked, but the muzzle will gauge less than 3 and the throat erosion will gauge less than 5.

CORRECT GRADE: (Very Good to Excellent)
    Correct Grade Rifles are similar to the Service Grade (above), but will show less wear and use. Correct Grade rifles will have all correct parts for the date of manufacture with 80% or better overall original metal finish. The stock and handguards will be of walnut and correct for the rifle but will have some dings, dents, scratches and marring of the wood finish. Stocks will have the appropriate original inspector's cartouche. The rifle bore will be very good with no significant defects and with a throat erosion of less than 4 and a muzzle wear of 2 or less. Very good to excellent condition. Limited quantities are occasionally available. Prices start at $950.

Note, some Service Grades could pass for Correct, except for some mixed parts, like an HRA trigger group in a SA.

Also note some Corrects will have some dings and even the odd gouge on their stocks. M1s often get a small gouge on the left side where the op rod of the rifle next to it in the rack scrapes it.

YOUR BEST BET is to go to the CMP forum

http://www.odcmp.org/new_forum/

and read and ask questions. A lot of people post pictures of their rifles, and you can get some good insight into what you can expect.

BUT BE YE WARNED!!

People mostly post pictures of the really GOOD rifles, not the ones that actually match the low ball description.

And as Luke points out, you can make a run up to the North Store in Port Clinton Ohio, and hand pick your own. You can even pick one out, and have them ship it to you, so you don't have to pay Ohio sales tax.

--------------------
    EDITED TO ADD:

I just checked out the CMP forum, and found this thread:
    http://www.odcmp.org/new_forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=66915

Basically, they're complaining that some Field Grades should be Rack Grade, and some Rackers need to be re-barreled.

That's why I say you want to check out the CMP forum: that's where the good, up-to-date information is.

-----------------------

Last edited:

A Good Ole Boy
    Feb 18, 2009
    Culvert County
    And as Luke points out, you can make a run up to the North Store in Port Clinton Ohio, and hand pick your own. You can even pick one out, and have them ship it to you, so you don't have to pay Ohio sales tax.

I believe they are also open on Saturday's but in the morning, I forget where I read that, but they are a suitable business and willing to work with any and every customer. If you've got the time to take the trip out there, I'd say it's worth it because you're knowing exactly what kind of M1 you're going to be getting right then and there, plus you save money!

Southern Cross

Oct 2, 2007
    Chase, MD
    I just checked Camp Perry on MapQuest and it is just over 454 miles to drive there from where I live. I don't know if my back could handle that! I am going to look into flights or see if I can work out some kind of mini vacation trip there. The lure of being able to pick out my own garand is pretty strong. I may look into renting a sweet car...that would make the trip a little easier. Have any of you guys made the trip from MD? Just curious to see what kind of drive it is.

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    I just checked Camp Perry on MapQuest and it is just over 454 miles to drive there from where I live. I don't know if my back could handle that! I am going to look into flights or see if I can work out some kind of mini vacation trip there. The lure of being able to pick out my own garand is pretty strong. I may look into renting a sweet car...that would make the trip a little easier. Have any of you guys made the trip from MD? Just curious to see what kind of drive it is.

I've made the trip a couple of times. I am always glad that I was able to pick out a special rifle on the trips. It is a pretty awesome experience. Typically I leave at about midnight and get there as they open and after an hour or two leave for home. Every time, on the way back, I wish I would've flown. I get home around 9 PM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom