• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JMintzer

Hoarding Douche Waffle
    Mar 17, 2009
    SW MoCo/Free FL (when I can)
    I've been Skeet and Trap shooting, but never Sporting Clays. I took a few lessons over the past month, and today, I decided to go out and officially try the course. I headed out to PG Trap and Skeet this morning.

As an added benefit, I brought my daughter (a complete shotgun newbie). She's been pistol and rifle (target) shooting with me on several occasions, but this was an entirely new experience.

We rented her a gun (a Beretta 686, possibly a White Onyx, as it had less engraving than my Silver Pigeon I Sporting), bought a few boxes of light loads for her, and off we went.

At heh first station, my card wouldn't work, so back we hiked, and they re-laoded the targets on my card. Oh, well, a slight false start. Back to the first station. I missed the first target, but got it on my second try and hit the second one on the first try. My daughter, having never shot a shotgun, not to mention this particular shotgun that was no where close to fitting her, smoked the first target on her third try. She nailed the second one on her second try. High 5's all around!

We went thru the course, skipping a few stations that were backed up, spending a little extra time when no one was waiting. I had a bit of difficulty on some of the crossing targets, but the 1/4 targets and the high teals were much easier. I was probably hitting 60-70%, many times missing the first, (as I had no idea where it was coming from), and then hitting it 2-3 Xs in a row.

My daughter continued on her 1 of three hits, except on some of the crossers, that were just too fast for her to pick up.

She went thru just over 2 boxes of shells, I went thru 3+ boxes, as we shared some of my last box. We only finished 1/2 the course, as he arms were giving out and her shoulder was getting a little sore. I pretty much expected that to happen, as she's only 5'5, and weighs 115...

All in all, it was a gorgeous day, in the mid 60's, sunny, barely a breeze. A perfect father/daughter outing. I can't wait to get out again!

Jamie

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    I :heart: the PG course. They change the target stations every time I get the hang of it. The last station is the best. You are shooting from a platform. One target sails in toward you from a long way away. The other is a rabbit that you shoot down on. Sounds like a great day out. :thumbsup:

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    Sporting clays is amazing fun! Pretty soon you'll be going to the eastern shore to shoot at Hopkins, DelMarva, Schrader's and Pin Tail. Then you'll head toward PA, then to M&M in New Jersey. Then you'll go further. My favorite course is in Florida.

Sigh...

JMintzer

Hoarding Douche Waffle
    Mar 17, 2009
    Sporting clays is amazing fun! Pretty soon you'll be going to the eastern shore to shoot at Hopkins, DelMarva, Schrader's and Pin Tail. Then you'll head toward PA, then to M&M in New Jersey. Then you'll go further. My favorite course is in Florida.

Sigh...

You! It's all YOUR fault!!! Damn you for turning me on to this wonderful sport! Damn you to hell!

:D:thumbsup::D

Jamie

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    You! It's all YOUR fault!!! Damn you for turning me on to this wonderful sport! Damn you to hell!

My pleasure, Jamie. My pleasure. I've become addicted to clay shooting and, like the amiable pothead, am happy to pass the doobie along as it were. :D

You know, I definitely find sporting clays the most frustrating - but - fun as hell. There's a station on the back end of PG County where one of the targets comes from the right and arcs down quickly and comes toward you a bit - or is that away? Who the hell knows. All I know is that I've been to PG 4 or 5 times and I've not hit the damn thing yet. One time my friend Brian and I were behind a really good shooter who was taking a break and watched me shoot at, and miss, this target several times. He offered some advice which went something like, "You need to remember that the target is falling at 32 feet per second per second..." Was probably a rocket scientist from Goddard up the road. My mouth said "thank you" but my brain was screaming "Shut the f**k up!" Anyway, I've not hit the damn thing yet. And I can tell you about targets I've never hit at every sporting clays course I've been on. :banghead:

I shoot skeet mostly and love it. And even though my official NSSA class is "E" (under 85%) I'm approaching shooting at "D" class level (89%) - an average of 22/25. Then I'll work on "C" class (90 - 93% or 23/25). Hopefully if I stay healthy, and live another 25 years or so, I should be able to do it. :lol2:

I've even gotten myself a nifty moleskine journal, that fits into an awesome leather cover I got from Saddleback Leather, and an A.G. Spalding mechanical pencil. I use it to take notes on my rounds and notate what I'm doing wrong, what I'm doing right, and advice I get to try next time. This I use in conjunction with the "Clay Tracker" app on my iPhone.

And I'm thinking about selling my blood plasma to buy more shotgun shells.

Told you I was addicted.

JMintzer

Hoarding Douche Waffle
    Mar 17, 2009
    My pleasure, Jamie. My pleasure. I've become addicted to clay shooting and, like the amiable pothead, am happy to pass the doobie along as it were. :D

You know, I definitely find sporting clays the most frustrating - but - fun as hell. There's a station on the back end of PG County where one of the targets comes from the right and arcs down quickly and comes toward you a bit - or is that away? Who the hell knows. All I know is that I've been to PG 4 or 5 times and I've not hit the damn thing yet. One time my friend Brian and I were behind a really good shooter who was taking a break and watched me shoot at, and miss, this target several times. He offered some advice which went something like, "You need to remember that the target is falling at 32 feet per second per second..." Was probably a rocket scientist from Goddard up the road. My mouth said "thank you" but my brain was screaming "Shut the f**k up!" Anyway, I've not hit the damn thing yet. And I can tell you about targets I've never hit at every sporting clays course I've been on. :banghead:

I shoot skeet mostly and love it. And even though my official NSSA class is "E" (under 85%) I'm approaching shooting at "D" class level (89%) - an average of 22/25. Then I'll work on "C" class (90 - 93% or 23/25). Hopefully if I stay healthy, and live another 25 years or so, I should be able to do it. :lol2:

I've even gotten myself a nifty moleskine journal, that fits into an awesome leather cover I got from Saddleback Leather, and an A.G. Spalding mechanical pencil. I use it to take notes on my rounds and notate what I'm doing wrong, what I'm doing right, and advice I get to try next time. This I use in conjunction with the "Clay Tracker" app on my iPhone.

Told you I was addicted.

You're still a Bastid!

I'm already looking at designated Trap guns. The horror, the horror...

Oh, btw, where in Florida is this mythical range? I may be in South Florida over X-mas...

Jamie

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    You're still a Bastid!

I'm already looking at designated Trap guns. The horror, the horror...

Oh, btw, where in Florida is this mythical range? I may be in South Florida over X-mas...

This mythical range is Amelia Shotgun Sports. Not far off of Amelia Island (which is between Jacksonville and the Georgia border). My Dad lives there and I found this place about 18 months ago. I've been there 3 times now and I'm going back in February. The course is a blast and has been designed by John Wooley - who is a multi-time international sporting clays champion. Nice guy. Anyone who's near Amelia Island in Florida should definitely check this place out.

http://www.ameliashotgunsports.com/

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay

Told you I was addicted.

Clays of all flavors are very addicting. I got into Trap less than 6 months ago and haven't shot a rifle or a pistol since. Now shooting Skeet in the LR Winter League. I really need to try Sporting Clays. I'm thinking about selling off some rifles to make room in the safe for more shotguns.

For my first time at SCs at PG, would you recommend an O/U or a semi-auto?
    Modified choke?

ps: My UPS man hates me. Asked if I was starting a war as he delivered 10 flats of shells. I said, "Nope. Just Cabellas having a sale with free shipping."

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    Clays of all flavors are very addicting. I got into Trap less than 6 months ago and haven't shot a rifle or a pistol since. Now shooting Skeet in the LR Winter League. I really need to try Sporting Clays. I'm thinking about selling off some rifles to make room in the safe for more shotguns.

For my first time at SCs at PG, would you recommend an O/U or a semi-auto?
    Modified choke?

ps: My UPS man hates me. Asked if I was starting a war as he delivered 10 flats of shells. I said, "Nope. Just Cabellas having a sale with free shipping."

Either shotgun type would work. I've used both and can miss targets equally well with either. :D

I'm sure that serious sporting clays competitors change out chokes depending on the shot presentations, but I've read in multiple places that Light Modified is the best all-around choke for sporting clays. That's what I use in both my Browning O/U and Beretta 391 Teknys.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    Either shotgun type would work. I've used both and can miss targets equally well with either. :D

I'm sure that serious sporting clays competitors change out chokes depending on the shot presentations, but I've read in multiple places that Light Modified is the best all-around choke for sporting clays. That's what I use in both my Browning O/U and Beretta 391 Teknys.

Guess I'll stick with Modified as I don't have a LM and I bet IC is too open.

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    I/C works fine for most presentations-they aren't usually all that far away--if you are looking to give it a shot this Saturday 12/3 head up to Littlestown Fish and Game- 9am start www.sportingclayandtrap.org see you there. It is just over the Pa border north of Westminster.

punchBIGholes

Nov 29, 2011
    Catonsville
    Sporting clays is amazing fun! Pretty soon you'll be going to the eastern shore to shoot at Hopkins, DelMarva, Schrader's and Pin Tail.

Gotta make a trip to the eastern shore if you like it. no cards to mess with. if you get a good trapper he/she will feel out your skill a little and start throwing birds that challenge you a little more. pintail in my opinion is the best driving to fun ratio.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Now you can understand how/why my wife and I shot something like 15,000 shells the first year we started shooting sporting clays. And that was not a full 12 month year. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom