• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MattFive

Nov 10, 2012
    Gambrills, MD
    Will you do 8 day release (waiver,DC,HQL)?Not a deal breaker,but my biz hrs. are the same as yours so I need to work around my schedule and yours as I have limited free time.Thanks.

AFAIK, MSP is returning "not-disapproveds" way quicker than 8 days post 1 Oct 2013. Of course, per MD law, you still have to wait out the 8 days. Pending a 180 degree-decision from MSP, you should be good to go with an 8-day release (depending on each individual) for the lowers.

2Asales&Supplies

, , Up In Arms Since 2009
    Industry Partner
    Aug 5, 2009
    AFAIK, MSP is returning "not-disapproveds" way quicker than 8 days post 1 Oct 2013. Of course, per MD law, you still have to wait out the 8 days. Pending a 180 degree-decision from MSP, you should be good to go with an 8-day release (depending on each individual) for the lowers.

We have been getting the approvals back from MSP quickly for those that have HQLs. I'm interested to see what will happen since HQL is not required for a receiver purchase. I doubt we will return to the days of backlog hell though.

bigdummy30

Feb 2, 2009
    Finksburg,MD
    Stupid question: If I were to build a pistol out of one of these would any additional paperwork be needed? What's the the longest length barrel a pistol AR can have?

2Asales&Supplies

, , Up In Arms Since 2009
    Industry Partner
    Aug 5, 2009
    Stupid question: If I were to build a pistol out of one of these would any additional paperwork be needed? What's the the longest length barrel a pistol AR can have?

No additional paperwork required. Not sure barrel length matters.

I'm planning to come by tomorrow afternoon (7/23), would you be williing to hold a spider lower?

Do me a favor and PM Flipz your name, phone number and type of receiver you want so he can set one aside for you. I won't be in the store tomorrow, but he'll be able to help you out.

clarksvegas

Jul 8, 2011
    Escaped to TX
    And here I was thinking, 'when will mark start selling those lowers.' now it's 'damnit, when's the next shipment coming in.'

and i was going to spend my first pay raise on ice wine...not now...

DoubleTap007

Mar 18, 2011
    BelAir, MD
    Few answers to the questions above.

No length restriction on the barrel's, as long as you are running a pistol buffer tube its considered a pistol.

No HQL on the lower needed, its not a handgun.

No HQL needed to make it into a pistol, HQL is required to purchase a Handgun. It ends there.

backhome426

Aug 26, 2012
    SouthCounty

My paperwork was submitted last Wed for 2 lowers. Called today to check and was told I was "not disapproved".

Full steam ahead.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    If one intends to build this into a pistol (SBR) configuration that's legal, does it require an HQL?
    Just to clarify, no HQL is needed to turn your lower into a pistol, but if you turn it into a short barrel rifle (SBR), a $200 tax stamp and lots of waiting is involved. And the overall length (OAL) must be greater than 29 inches. Still no HQL needed.

Pistol and SBR are two different things.

bilbravo

Apr 30, 2013
    Baltimore (District 46)
    Just to clarify, no HQL is needed to turn your lower into a pistol, but if you turn it into a short barrel rifle (SBR), a $200 tax stamp and lots of waiting is involved. And the overall length (OAL) must be greater than 29 inches. Still no HQL needed.

Pistol and SBR are two different things.

Ok, thanks for the clarification. I fear I'm derailing this thread too far, but could you answer one more question... if I just buy a pistol buffer is it considered a pistol, or is there some particular part in the upper build that also makes it a pistol.

I keep finding conflicting information.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Ok, thanks for the clarification. I fear I'm derailing this thread too far, but could you answer one more question... if I just buy a pistol buffer is it considered a pistol, or is there some particular part in the upper build that also makes it a pistol.

I keep finding conflicting information.
    I'm really no expert but I believe if you have the pistol buffer you are 100% okay.

One letter from ATF said you could actually use the rifle buffer, but it was STRONGLY advided not to have the rest of the stock around as that could constitute a SBR.

I don't believe the upper length makes it a pistol or rifle, I do think it's the buffer.

Damn Gun Control Acts of 1934 and 1986.

bilbravo

Apr 30, 2013
    Baltimore (District 46)
    I'm really no expert but I believe if you have the pistol buffer you are 100% okay.

One letter from ATF said you could actually use the rifle buffer, but it was STRONGLY advided not to have the rest of the stock around as that could constitute a SBR.

I don't believe the upper length makes it a pistol or rifle, I do think it's the buffer.

Damn Gun Control Acts of 1934 and 1986.

Awesome, thanks. I'll get more clarification before I proceed but I guess the first step is to pick up a lower or two!

cotman68

Feb 21, 2010
    Stewartstown, Pa
    They are here! $114.99. Have a bunch of pistol parts (barrels, buffer tube kits, Tac Braces)coming in as well.

10556444_751445281568532_8360178146947069492_n.jpg
    Do you have any .300 black out barrels and what buffer tubes do u have? Rather give my hard earned cash to an IP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom