• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I don't know if I'd trust this one to building an AR15. It says it's uses include cleaning and storage. Don't know if this has the backbone for building an AR.

WASKIS

Mar 6, 2015
    Charm City
    I'm trying to keep this build fairly cheap, adding the cost of a vice would definitely raise my investment more than I planned.

Do you think a bench block would work better?

WASKIS

Mar 6, 2015
    Charm City
    If that's the only thing I really need a vice for, I can bring it to a friends house for that 1 task. I was trying to avoid bringing all the little parts and having to spend time building it in their basement, risk losing parts etc.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    forgot to mention, I'm probably only building a lower - going to be having the complete upper made.

You don't need the block for a lower. You could use it when building or modifying an upper, although a reaction rod (that inserts into the barrel end when held by a vice) is often a superior alternative so one doesn't torque on the wrong junctures.

Save up for one of these jawhorses with a vice grip if you have less space where you live ...

http://www.amazon.com/Rockwell-RK9002-JawHorse-Sheetmaster-48-inch/dp/B005BTLXI8/

There are often $130 alternatives at Lowes and Home Depot.

You can use one of these with them ...

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Arms-Gear-Injected-Workbench/dp/B00OTRZTMY/

But a reaction rod, especially at the price Botach is currently selling them for ($40) may be worth the splurge. The Geissele otherwise goes for $100.

WASKIS

Mar 6, 2015
    Charm City
    You don't need the block for a lower. You could use it when building or modifying an upper, although a reaction rod (that inserts into the barrel end when held by a vice) is often a superior alternative so one doesn't torque on the wrong junctures.

Save up for one of these jawhorses with a vice grip if you have less space where you live ...

http://www.amazon.com/Rockwell-RK9002-JawHorse-Sheetmaster-48-inch/dp/B005BTLXI8/

There are often $130 alternatives at Lowes and Home Depot.

You can use one of these with them ...

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Arms-Gear-Injected-Workbench/dp/B00OTRZTMY/

But a reaction rod, especially at the price Botach is currently selling them for ($40) may be worth the splurge. The Geissele otherwise goes for $100.

^ Good advice - thanks.

I think for the time being I might just fashion something out of 2x4's, clamps and one of those gun blocks until I can afford something nicer. I'm already over my budget in gun parts as it lol

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I don't use a stand or a vise...
    You'll be fine without one if you can't afford to buy one

so how do you torque a barrel nut????

Lowers you do not need a vice but an upper especially a barrel it seems would be very difficult without.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Look into a Magpul Bev Block. Works kind of like the reaction bars for adding and removing muzzle devices also.

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    so how do you torque a barrel nut????

Lowers you do not need a vice but an upper especially a barrel it seems would be very difficult without.

You might be able to C-clamp the block to a bench top or other sold support. Vise is the best way to go, though. Very handy for all kinds of work and from HF not really too expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom