• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tigmaned

Feb 25, 2007
    Crofton
    do new 22lr pistol also have to have a spent shell casing shipped with them to be sold here in MD also? or is that just center fire handguns?

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    All modern handguns made after I believe 1/1/2002 need a casing.

I would love to see someone demand a fired casing from a cap and ball revolver or a single shot cap and ball handgun.

ctucker1405

Dec 27, 2010
    Owings Mills, MD
    All modern handguns made after I believe 1/1/2002 need a casing.

I would love to see someone demand a fired casing from a cap and ball revolver or a single shot cap and ball handgun.

So is this required for used guns or for new and used gun sales? Just wondering b/c I just bought my 1st handgun, XDM (new), from GC and I dont think there was a spent casing in my case.

CT

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    So is this required for used guns or for new and used gun sales? Just wondering b/c I just bought my 1st handgun, XDM (new), from GC and I dont think there was a spent casing in my case.

CT

New guns only. New means its never left an FFL's books and went into a private owners name.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    While we're on the subject is it true you can't buy a new gun from the internet bc there's no casing? I thought the FFL you have it transferred through would do that. I ask bc someone at a certain local shop told me that you can only buy used guns online, not new in MD.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    That dealer is incorrect. If the gun doesn't come with a fired casing there is at least five properly licensed shops that can do a fired casing in MD or WV. They all meet MD's law.

Additionally, some gun makers do include a casing with all the guns that they ship.

A gun dealer, ATF licensed 01, can not do a fired casing. Only shops that have an ATF 07, manufacturers license, can do the fired casing.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Thanks, that's what I thought. I got the impression he was saying that because he'd rather me pay the $150 higher price he had on the gun i was looking at...

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Thanks, that's what I thought. I got the impression he was saying that because he'd rather me pay the $150 higher price he had on the gun i was looking at...

Something to consider, if you buy a handgun online, that doesn't come with a casing, then it has to go to one of these 07's so it can be test fired. There is time and shipping charges and the fee the 07 charges to factor in. Add in the transfer fee the MD FFL will charge and then compare prices.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    The one I looked at online had free shipping, the transfer fee was $25 at another place and the spent casing fee was $5 so id still be coming out on top.

justsand

Ultimate Member
    Jul 14, 2010
    monrovia md
    Something to consider, if you buy a handgun online, that doesn't come with a casing, then it has to go to one of these 07's so it can be test fired. There is time and shipping charges and the fee the 07 charges to factor in. Add in the transfer fee the MD FFL will charge and then compare prices.

Shooting Ventures charges 5 bucks to do casing can't beat that. He had to do one on my sig 250

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    possibly dumb question. Im assuming they do the spent casing on revolvers as well? Although dont see what the sense would be since they stay in the gun until you choose to expel them...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom