• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ninety9Soulz

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap.
    Feb 23, 2013
    Obviously since the political craze began, ammo and firearms soared in price. My question is what was the normal going rate pre-craze for Speer Gold Dot 124gr +p hollow points? Was it about 1$ per round? I'm looking to get some on GB but not trying to get bent over backwards paying more.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    Try to get the 50rd Gold Dot boxes. Fair price for them was around $35-$40.

I believe MSAR has them in stock but Im not sure what theyre priced at currently.

dc44

Dec 26, 2012

I believe MSAR has them in stock but Im not sure what theyre priced at currently.

I think they wanted 48 for a box of 50rd 124gr about a month ago

Arel11

Aug 7, 2012
    I bought a box from Bel Air Gun and Pawn a few months ago for $40, I think. They had plenty of it then, not sure now.

Shemp

Feb 21, 2013
    Out There
    Why would you pay $40 a box? I'm getting Rem 9mm at Dicks for $15 a box. I know it's not Speer gold dot but I refuse to pay those prices

Ninety9Soulz

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap.
    Feb 23, 2013

Wow so less than $1 per round

I bought a box from Bel Air Gun and Pawn a few months ago for $40, I think. They had plenty of it then, not sure now.

Thanks I'll check them out

ISBN

Oct 11, 2012
    Rockville
    I got some from Natchez in December for $20.60 per box of 20. Atlantic guns in Rockville had them back then for $28.99 per box.

rem87062597

Annapolis, MD
    Jul 13, 2012

I got a 50 round box from Ammunition Depot (from the internet) for $48.84 shipped on 1/10/13 ($32.97 before shipping, but shipping ammunition is expensive so I understand). Definitely go for the 50 round box though, I believe they're marketed toward law enforcement while the 20 round boxes are marketed to home defense. There aren't any differences except price.

Ninety9Soulz

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap.
    Feb 23, 2013
    I got a 50 round box from Ammunition Depot (from the internet) for $48.84 shipped on 1/10/13 ($32.97 before shipping, but shipping ammunition is expensive so I understand). Definitely go for the 50 round box though, I believe they're marketed toward law enforcement while the 20 round boxes are marketed to home defense. There aren't any differences except price.

Ahhh it's the shipping that will really get you, I didn't even consider adding that into the price. I'll look to get a 50 round box then and store it. Currently all I have is a few rounds of WWB!!

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Why would you pay $40 a box? I'm getting Rem 9mm at Dicks for $15 a box. I know it's not Speer gold dot but I refuse to pay those prices

Speer Gold Dot and Federal HST are the standard by which all other JHPs are judged.
    It's HD ammo not plinking ammo.
    Personally I think me and my families lives are worth it in the long run.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Speer Gold Dot and Federal HST are the standard by which all other JHPs are judged.
    It's HD ammo not plinking ammo.
    Personally I think me and my families lives are worth it in the long run.

Plus there's full responsibility for where the bullets go. Missing with FMJ means the bullet passes through walls, could strike innocent people in other rooms of the house, or could exit the house and possibly go into a neighbor's house.

rem87062597

Annapolis, MD
    Jul 13, 2012
    I don't want to get into a whole ballistics conversation, but if you have a rifle that uses an intermediate cartridge it'll penetrate through fewer walls and be more effective for home defense than either a handgun or a shotgun loaded with defense rounds. That said, it's been hell finding Gold Dot's or HST's locally, I really think checking online constantly until you find it is your best option.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I remember getting Speer Gold Dots from sgammo back when they were like $28 for a 50 round box. The same box of $20 is like $20. I never understood why people didn't buy the "bulk LE" boxes.

Plus there's full responsibility for where the bullets go. Missing with FMJ means the bullet passes through walls, could strike innocent people in other rooms of the house, or could exit the house and possibly go into a neighbor's house.

HP's are probably going through walls just like a FMJ, unless they go through a person first. Even then it still might.

Mowog

Dec 1, 2012
    Ellicott City, MD
    I'm thinking a dollar a round for really good ammo is a "fair price". I just bought some Winchester Ranger +P 9mm 124 gr (50 round box) for around $39/Box from Target Sport. Back in February I bought some 9mm gold dots from Cabela in 115gr 20 box for around $22/Box. I just wanted to have a few boxes.

The funny thing is that the price range between 9MM and 40/45/357sig has narrowed. I bought some 357sig Ranger T for $49/Box of 50 late February. Seeing 22LR for sale at above what I used to pay for basic 9mm is crazy. I don't mind Paying a dollar a round for PD ammo that I don't shoot a lot of. What I do mind is crazy prices for stuff that I want to shoot every day.

Bob

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    Ammo Depot has Federal 147gr tactical HST for ~$40 / 50rd box. Not sure what shipping is.

These rate very well and some folks prefer the heavier bullet. Link

rem87062597

Annapolis, MD
    Jul 13, 2012
    I'm thinking a dollar a round for really good ammo is a "fair price"...I don't mind Paying a dollar a round for PD ammo that I don't shoot a lot of. What I do mind is crazy prices for stuff that I want to shoot every day.

Bob

That's how I justified my Gold Dot purchase. I purchased the box of 50, shot 12, and now I have two magazines worth that I'll probably never shoot. It's worth it just for the peace of mind, but it helps that I don't blow through them like I would with regular ammunition.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    "Pre-Panic" price(s) for Speer Gold Dot and Federal HST -

At a gunshow in Virginia, a friend at work was finding the 50 round boxes of 9mm and .40 S&W for $25.00 per box.
    .45 acp - 50 round boxes were going for $27.50.
    (Yes, I got several, of each caliber! Federal HST, that is.)

To those that are going to buy Gold Dot or HST (or any other 'defensive' round), do yourself a favor and buy at least two boxes.

Use one box to function test the weapon and magazines, and to get used to the way the ammo shoots. (Accuracy, recoil difference, point of aim/impact, etc.)
    Then, load your magazines with the second box.

Kevmo

N00b
    Feb 20, 2009
    Severn

laugh out loud

do you even know what speer dots are? to make a comment like that im guessing the answer is no

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom