• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TyFromMD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2011
    Maryland
    Hello all, I've been searching for a recipe to use Speer 168gr .30 boat tail hollow point bullets for .300 blackout.

Do any of you have load data for this bullet? I'll be using Win 296 or IMR 4227. I have load data from Hornady 9th for their HPBT 168gr bullet. Should I be good I go with that data starting on the low end or should I keep searching?

Thanks.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    Why 168s? If youre looking for supersonic you may or may not be able to send it that fast, and if you can, the energy won't be all that great. You're better off with lower weights for supers and heavier weights for subs.

Have you checked the 300 blackout talk board?

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    168s are really a 308/06 long range round if you are loading for blk I would either go 110s/125gr or 200/220 depending on what you are looking for.

TyFromMD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2011
    Maryland
    Why 168s? If youre looking for supersonic you may or may not be able to send it that fast, and if you can, the energy won't be all that great. You're better off with lower weights for supers and heavier weights for subs.

Have you checked the 300 blackout talk board?

I just joined the 300 blackout forum. I bought 168 because that's all that was in stock at a reasonable price when I was at bass pro today. I'm still learning. 300 blk talk looks like a great resource.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    The 225gr Hornady Match also does extremely well for subsonic loads, still have some of those left.

For 150gr FMJBT, I kept it under 16.4gr of H110 (IIRC). They did pretty well, but I didn't like the velocity, so I kept to the lighter rounds for supersonic use.

H110 and Lil' Gun have been great powders for me and 300BLK, supersonic and even subsonic with the 225gr rounds.

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    Thanks. I have that data. All I see on there at 168 are the hornady bullets. Just getting started with .300 blackout. Learning slowly.

You will not find much difference in load data on 168 OTM regardless of the manufacture. Point of impact maybe.

Good luck

Jerry

mtlcafan79

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2008
    PG
    Speer 125gr TNT's are practically match grade for ball ammo cost. Shooters Pro Shop has 110gr Varmageddon's sometimes for $17/100. That's cheaper than ball too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom