• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LimaVictor

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    Southern MD
    Boiled our 23 pounder a couple days before Christmas. Down to about 4 pounds left. Extra spicy is how I make'em.
    My brother out in Poolesville drove down to McKays in Leonardtown TWICE this Christmas holidayjust to pick up his raw corned ham and pre-made stuffing. His first 24 pounder didn't last a week!!

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    Yes order in advance

Good for at least a week if it lasts that long without being eaten. You could pick it up the weekend before and should be good to go.

It will already be cooked and ready to go when you get it. It is best served cold not hot.

Places to check with:

Chaptico Market https://www.visitstmarysmd.com/shopping/detail/chaptico-market

McKay's Market (Hollywood) http://mckays.mywebgrocer.com/StoreLocator.aspx?&cc=1&s=338980164&g=b878e91a-edd5-42b3-93cb-3af5e3423b1f&uc=39ABF141

and W J Dent (Chief's) http://www.wjdent.com/stuffed-ham.html

If you do plan on coming over this way shoot me a PM and I'll hook you up with some karma.

Reviving this once again this year. The stuffed ham from St. Inigoes last year was great and the family demands it again. I emailed Tom & Nora from St. Inigoes and they said they are good to go, but want the money paid in advance. Well, I really don't want to pay with my card over the phone, so I am thinking of calling McKay's.

Question for you hitwtom, or anyone...is McKay's ham on the spicy side like SIGS or milder side? I will probably go to the one in Charlotte Hall since it cuts a hour of drive time for me.

TIA

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    More info. McKays is showing $2.98/lb in their circular. That sounds too cheap. Chiefs will ship it and it is closer to the regular price of $10-$11/lb.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    More info. McKays is showing $2.98/lb in their circular. That sounds too cheap. Chiefs will ship it and it is closer to the regular price of $10-$11/lb.

That price is likely for a whole corned ham. Which is what stuffed ham starts life as. I would call Mckays and pre-order now. They will let you pre-order a platter I believe but it is going to be closer to the $10/lb range.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    The family will be getting together this Sunday for our annual ham stuffing. We are doing over a dozen hams this year. Sorry all are spoken for.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    That price is likely for a whole corned ham. Which is what stuffed ham starts life as. I would call Mckays and pre-order now. They will let you pre-order a platter I believe but it is going to be closer to the $10/lb range.

I think you are correct. I will call them today.

The family will be getting together this Sunday for our annual ham stuffing. We are doing over a dozen hams this year. Sorry all are spoken for.

:sad20:
    That is a lot of ham!

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    why wouldn't you just make your own ham? get a ham, find the recipe that suits your taste and get the green and go. its pretty easy.

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    Reviving this once again this year. The stuffed ham from St. Inigoes last year was great and the family demands it again. I emailed Tom & Nora from St. Inigoes and they said they are good to go, but want the money paid in advance. Well, I really don't want to pay with my card over the phone, so I am thinking of calling McKay's.

Question for you hitwtom, or anyone...is McKay's ham on the spicy side like SIGS or milder side? I will probably go to the one in Charlotte Hall since it cuts a hour of drive time for me.

TIA

As I recall McKays is a little milder but still good. If you want to pre order from SIGS I can run down there on Friday and pre-pay for you. We can work out the details later.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    why wouldn't you just make your own ham? get a ham, find the recipe that suits your taste and get the green and go. its pretty easy.

Good suggestion. I have a recipe, but I am too busy before the holiday to get it done. Maybe I will do my own for x-mas. I don't want the quality of my first one to be disappointing.

As I recall McKays is a little milder but still good. If you want to pre order from SIGS I can run down there on Friday and pre-pay for you. We can work out the details later.

Once again, your generosity is much appreciated. I would like to have lunch with you again, but I just called McKay's and will pick it up on Tuesday. If you can get to Charlotte Hall, I will buy you lunch.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    How does this recipe sound?

Attachments

• Stuffed Ham.jpg
      Stuffed Ham.jpg
      73.2 KB · Views: 280

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    Once again, your generosity is much appreciated. I would like to have lunch with you again, but I just called McKay's and will pick it up on Tuesday. If you can get to Charlotte Hall, I will buy you lunch.

How does this recipe sound?

Unfortunately I am busy on Tuesday. We have a Thanksgiving By The Bay in the Hanger at lunchtime. They usually have some Vets from the Veterans home come down for it as well as the Captain etc.

I’ll check my recipe when I get home, looks about right. My recipe came from Mrs. Woodburn down in Ridge though. Different parts of the County use slightly different proportions.

LimaVictor

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    Southern MD
    Unfortunately I am busy on Tuesday. We have a Thanksgiving By The Bay in the Hanger at lunchtime. They usually have some Vets from the Veterans home come down for it as well as the Captain etc.

I’ll check my recipe when I get home, looks about right. My recipe came from Mrs. Woodburn down in Ridge though. Different parts of the County use slightly different proportions.

Yuppers.
    Add more Kale if you like more greens, more cabbage for more crunch, or red pepper for more heat. We make ours on the spicy side. I also believe the more north of the county you get, the more families like to bake their hams.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    Thanks for all of the comments on the recipe. I will save them to my computer for christmas. I will be picking this one up on Tuesday from the professionals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Drake1990$

Latest threads

Top Bottom