• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    I recently was honored with the gift of a Winchester 1886 in 33WCF and a Winchester 71 from a close family member. Both are in excellent condition and I would like to occasionally shoot/hunt with them. I did recieve a partial box of each caliber, both old Remington Kleenbore/Dupont-boxed ammo. I know that this stuff is pretty much unobtanium, but is there anyone out there who may be still making this stuff?

I have seen that both can be produced from 45-70 brass. I really don't have a setup for reloading (yet) or I would try to make some lighter loads for the range myself.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    I see that you don't reload as of yet, you might want to get some brass for when you do.
    Quality's website says it will have one you need this month and the other you need next month. Local company down in Southern Md. You can also check with "Old Western Scrounger " online and see what they have.

Quality Cartridge

301-373-3719 ph/fax

PO Box 445

Hollywood, MD 20636

chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    I see that you don't reload as of yet, you might want to get some brass for when you do.
    Quality's website says it will have one you need this month and the other you need next month. Local company down in Southern Md. You can also check with "Old Western Scrounger " online and see what they have.

Quality Cartridge

301-373-3719 ph/fax

PO Box 445

Hollywood, MD 20636

Thanks for the info. I am going to pick up some brass and make some cast bullets up one day (especially for the .348). I would rather support a local company but i'll look up Western Scrounger.

chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    in stock
    http://www.tacticalammunition.com/33-WCF-200GR-BT-20-TA88-0282-TA88-0282.htm

Before buying, call to make sure it's compatible with antique black powder guns. Same goes for reloading either caliber. I assume your 1886 is not a modern 45-70 reproduction (http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/category.asp?family=024C).

Thanks! My 1886 was made sometime around 1907 or so. For what I have seen, the 33 WCF was a smokeless powder cartridge and was introduced in 1902 or so. My rifle has the "Winchester Nickel Steel" barrel marked for smokeless cartridges. I don't want to overdo it, but I am happy with period-strength smokeless loads for the 33WCF.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom