• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vjornaxx

Twelve
    Mar 8, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    I live in a typical row home in Baltimore County - Edmondson Heights. I'm sitting on my couch and my wife is sitting at the dinner table. I see through the door windows that the storm door is opening and I think that it's the wind. There's a loud knock, and then another and the door flies open. My wife shouts "whoa!" and it takes me a second to process what's going on. I get up, draw my gun, and move towards the door while shouting "GET THE **** OUT OF MY HOUSE!" I don't see anyone and when I step out onto the stoop, I still don't see or hear anyone. I tell my wife to call the cops and I close & lock the door and wait in low ready while facing the door. It takes me a few moments to realize that I'm gripping the shit out of my gun and I had already already thumbed the safety off. As I'm standing there, I realize that I can decide to freak out about this or decide to stay calm, so I re-holster, sit down, and try to breathe calmly until the cops arrive to take our statement. My son has somehow managed to sleep through all this. I'm strangely calm and not very shaken about this - It bothers me, but maybe I just haven't fully processed it yet. The adrenaline was there making my breathing heavy and my palms sweaty, but my hands were steady and I wasn't panicky. I don't think the person even saw me, so they weren't even aware that I was armed or even present. We had our car broken into last night, but nothing was taken or broken. I'm not sure if these are somehow related.

I must have forgotten to lock my deadbolt when I got home - I was tired and happy to see my son when I got back from work. The only damage on the door are scuff marks. The frame and lock appear undamaged and structurally sound.

For those curious, I have a MD Wear & Carry permit as required by my job. I carry at home specifically for reasons like this and now I'm even more convinced that even though incidents like this are unlikely, carrying at home is cheap insurance to give you a chance to make it through alive.

After talking about it with my wife, the best explanation I can come up with is that it was some kid trying to pull a prank. They thought they would kick the door and run off and were probably surprised when the door actually opened so they bolted the moment they realized what they did. I cannot think of any other reason to decide to kick in a door at night and immediately run away when the lights are clearly on and people are clearly home.

I called my landlord and we'll be discussing installing a security system.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    I live in a typical row home in Baltimore County - Edmondson Heights. I'm sitting on my couch and my wife is sitting at the dinner table. I see through the door windows that the storm door is opening and I think that it's the wind. There's a loud knock, and then another and the door flies open. My wife shouts "whoa!" and it takes me a second to process what's going on. I get up, draw my gun, and move towards the door while shouting "GET THE **** OUT OF MY HOUSE!" I don't see anyone and when I step out onto the stoop, I still don't see or hear anyone. I tell my wife to call the cops and I close & lock the door and wait in low ready while facing the door. It takes me a few moments to realize that I'm gripping the shit out of my gun and I had already already thumbed the safety off. As I'm standing there, I realize that I can decide to freak out about this or decide to stay calm, so I re-holster, sit down, and try to breathe calmly until the cops arrive to take our statement. My son has somehow managed to sleep through all this. I'm strangely calm and not very shaken about this - It bothers me, but maybe I just haven't fully processed it yet. The adrenaline was there making my breathing heavy and my palms sweaty, but my hands were steady and I wasn't panicky. I don't think the person even saw me, so they weren't even aware that I was armed or even present. We had our car broken into last night, but nothing was taken or broken. I'm not sure if these are somehow related.

I must have forgotten to lock my deadbolt when I got home - I was tired and happy to see my son when I got back from work. The only damage on the door are scuff marks. The frame and lock appear undamaged and structurally sound.

For those curious, I have a MD Wear & Carry permit as required by my job. I carry at home specifically for reasons like this and now I'm even more convinced that even though incidents like this are unlikely, carrying at home is cheap insurance to give you a chance to make it through alive.

After talking about it with my wife, the best explanation I can come up with is that it was some kid trying to pull a prank. They thought they would kick the door and run off and were probably surprised when the door actually opened so they bolted the moment they realized what they did. I cannot think of any other reason to decide to kick in a door at night and immediately run away when the lights are clearly on and people are clearly home.

I called my landlord and we'll be discussing installing a security system.
    Hope this is April fools...

If not, yikes. Hope it works out for the best.

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    Glad you are OK man. The fact that your grabbed your gun and were ready, and didn't have a heart attack due to the adrenaline means you did OK.

This isn't the easy answer, but I would move. Actually, that probably is the easy answer.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    Wow. Glad everyone's OK. This possibility is EXACTLY why we installed a security storm door with tempered glass. It also has a double cylinder lock.

We haven't had anyone try to forcibly open/kick the security storm door but we have had NUMEROUS solicitors attempt to open it. Some act shocked when I just stand there and look at them. And let me tell you, a couple of them looked quite unsavory.

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    I see you are in Gwynn Oak too, had a similar situation about 10 years ago, except at the time I was in bed. Who ever kicked the door must have run off when the door didn't open on the first kick. By the time I got to the window to look they were gone. Called the police and had to make the report through the living room window as the lock had jammed the door shut. Had to replace both the door knob and dead bolt.

Onua

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2008
    Carroll County
    wow, crazy stuff. glad you and yours are safe.
    sounds like the bad guys are testing the waters.
    maybe mount a game cam up high overlooking the front and back of the house?
    And this type of incident is why I wear a firearm when I am home, although I am not able to obtain a MD wear and carry.

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    This is the same scenario that got me carrying while at home. All the hiding places in my house still couldn't solve the scenario of someone busting through the door quickly.

Logan Betterton

May 14, 2015
    Eastern Shore MD
    Glad you and your family are OK. I can imagine that this would shake anyone up. And you were able to quickly arm yourself to protect your family which is also important. Sounds like you did absolutely the right thing in your situation which most would be caught off guard.

Was this late at night? Honestly I've always felt that outdoor lighting is the best deterrent against any kind of home/ property or car robberies. If you think about it; who wants to rob a house or car fully lit up where someone can potentially see you, versus somewhere dark where you will not be seen. Its also relatively cheap.

The adrenaline was there making my breathing heavy and my palms sweaty, but my hands were steady

Was I the only one reading a popular Eminem verse after this statement?
    :toothless

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    We also lock the house when working out in the yard. If we're in the back yard someone could come in the front door etc...

Vjornaxx

Twelve
    Mar 8, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    Glad you and your family are OK. I can imagine that this would shake anyone up. And you were able to quickly arm yourself to protect your family which is also important. Sounds like you did absolutely the right thing in your situation which most would be caught off guard.

Was this late at night? Honestly I've always felt that outdoor lighting is the best deterrent against any kind of home/ property or car robberies. If you think about it; who wants to rob a house or car fully lit up where someone can potentially see you, versus somewhere dark where you will not be seen. Its also relatively cheap.

Was I the only one reading a popular Eminem verse after this statement?

:toothless

It was 8:25 PM. That's the time stamp on my wife's 911 call.

Vjornaxx

Twelve
    Mar 8, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    Have you considered moving? When's the lease up?

I have no plans to move. My lease has been up for years, my landlord is great, this location is about 15 minutes from my job and 20 minutes from my wife's, my parents live 20 minutes away, my closest friends live within 5 minutes. If I move, it will be into a single family home nearby. I won't be bullied out of my home. I will make my home more resistant, though.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    Maybe try and get your landlord to install something like this:

Attachments

• SecStrmDr.jpg
      SecStrmDr.jpg
      11.3 KB · Views: 1,242

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    Since my door kicking happen (a single family house), over the years I've added a picket fence, it won't stop anyone but it defines the property, also not as quick to kick and run if you have to stop and open the gate. Replaced the old gas light in the front yard with a solar powered one, put solar powered motion lights, goes from a soft dim light to a much brighter light around the parts of the yard that get enough sun light. So that as soon as you come into the gate everything gets brighter.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    just put a few 12ga slugs thru the door, you should be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cfreeman818

Latest threads

Top Bottom