• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cogcon

COGCON
    MDS Supporter
    No really, this is my broom handle pistol...............

23596-nature-broom-handle-plastic-screw-1.jpg

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    Not to take up for this nitwit in any way but someone should have explained to him that it's a Federal law that he can only purchase a handgun in his home state and that it had nothing to do with MD or VA state law.

I told him that it had been this way since '68 and he could still buy the gun and have it sent to a home state FFL....he was having none of that though. :banghead:

Sportstud4891

Resident SMIB
    Jun 7, 2011
    Chuck County
    Ok, so everybody seems to be bashing this guy and yes I agree that he should know the laws but yet we support Williams who knowingly hid a gun in his bag and then tossed it in the bushes when the police showed up. I would rather somebody carry a gun for protection then try to hide it when authorities present themselves. Hell it seems like this guy even has a decent reason (limo driver possibly getting robbed), military background. At least on paper it seems like he would be a good candidate to use if he happened to get arrested while carrying.

As far as the "not needing a safety class" goes. Well, I don't agree with that statement but I'm not sure that he deserves the bashing that has been directed his way.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Sounds to me as though Pro Shooter tried to edumicate this douchebag regarding the laws and this douchebag wanted to hear nothing pertaining to what the laws are, only wanted to hear what he wanted to hear and ultimately heard nothing due to his own stubborness and closed mind. Yea, I have had experience with those types before.:sad20:

ThePirate

May 26, 2010
    Ringgold area
    With people like him around, maybe it's a good thing that Maryland won't issue CCW permits.
    I could be wrong but if he had a C&R license he could probably have found something to take home.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    With people like him around, maybe it's a good thing that Maryland won't issue CCW permits.
    I could be wrong but if he had a C&R license he could probably have found something to take home.

Yet there are people like him everywhere. Somehow, all the common sense expectations of chaotic mayhem just don't materialize.

The Shall Issue and Constitutional Carry states have not created crime free Utopias in which jackwagons and douchebags are unknown. Real life is imperfect and messy. Grown ups accept that reality with a sigh. Children and Utopians fantasize about a Perfection that will never be seen this side of Glory.

The real life experience in the Free States is that serious problems just don't arise from Shall Issue. Idiots are everywhere, and yet... somehow it works. The stubborn fool who is the subject of this thread may indeed get a carry permit. Hopefully he'll get a Maryland permit soon, along with the rest of us. Based on the real experiences of other states he'll either refrain from doing anything too stupid, or he'll get slapped down real fast if he does do something stupid.

If we want our rights, we have to grant others their rights, even when it feels like taking a chance.

---------------

Southern_Boy

Apr 13, 2009
    I understand the bashing, but...
    Sometimes we forget that we weren't born knowing all this stuff either.
    Besides - from the sound of things, he probably remembers when he lived in a free country.
    He's probably gone along all this time not thinking he needed a gun - then suddenly learning the truth of just how far we've sunk while he was sleeping was a real shock!
    I left MD in the early '80s. I grew up with guns being part of the furniture in my house though not getting to shoot them much... I carried all over the country with no permit, not really realizing I wasn't supposed to do that...
    When I moved back to MD I'd sold my pistol for traveling money... Suddenly I found myself being threatened by a madman, so I did the logical thing: I went to the nearest pawn-shop that I knew sold guns!
    The guy tells me that there's a mandatory (IIRC, then) 10-day waiting-period, but that the cops were running several weeks behind on the paperwork so it could be as long as a month before I could take it home.
    I thought he was full of $#!+! Seriously -- it was a case of "That.does.not.COMPUTE!!"

I was followed from the store by a young, urban gentleman/entrepreneur who was more than happy to sell me any one of several handguns he just happened to have in the trunk of his car -- no paperwork, no waiting period!

Given the circumstances (fully expecting to have to SHOOT this nutbag, IN MY OWN HOUSE) I was unwilling to risk an illegal weapon -- but had I been planning a murder/robbery/drive-by/etc....!!!

This was the moment at which I became a gun-rights crusader - but I digress...

I'll NEVER forget that feeling of "W-T-F??!!" when the guy told me "waiting-period", etc. - and it had only been a few years... Imagine the old guy who just woke up after 40 or so??!!

ThePirate

May 26, 2010
    Ringgold area
    I have spent some time researching the difference between interstate and intrastate gun laws. Very interesting. More restrictive than I had thought. I suggest everyone do it. It's doesn't hurt to be well informed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom