• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    so after my next ar build is done ( 7.62x40 WT hunting rifle :) ) i want to build a mini EBR...heres where my questions come in

1. so the newer minis have heavier profile barrels (finally), would they still benefit from the barrel stabilizers?

2. sage EBR stock vs scar CQB stock, this is confusing me as they seem like the same thing...can anyone explain the difference between them, and which is better?

3.which scope mounts are best? i plan on topping it with a leupold mark 4 4.5-14x50.

the main goal of this rifle is to be 1 MOA or better, out to around 800 yards MAX. i want to keep the total weight sub 10 pounds loaded and fully equipped.

thoughts?

edit: and before anyone says it...i know and dont care if the ar platform may have better accuracy, i want a mini! lol

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    New Mini-14s have thicker barrels, but they're still skinny under the gas block. I did not put a stabilizer on mine, I put a brake/flash hider on. Getting rid of the wood stock and using an ATI with folding stock set up which Ruger uses for their Tactical Mini dropped my groups from 4" at 100 yards to 1.5" with standard 55gr FMJs. Most of the guys on Perfect Union went with the barrel stabilizer and do better than stock with them.

Since you're getting a new Mini-14, they come with their own proprietary rings that are specific to the Mini-14. I'd use those versus anything else.

And since Ruger makes the barrels in 1 in 9" twist, you won't be able to stabilize anything heavier than the 69gr SMKs. Lord knows I tried.

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    sweet thanks. im not worried much about anything heavier than the 62gr m855, i really only use m193 and m855

im assuming their barrels are not chromed?

NY Transplant

Wabbit Season/Duck Season
    Apr 2, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I have a barrel strut and flash hider on one Mini and a barrel strut only on the other Mini, both 581 series. With the PMC and Federal 55 gr FMJ I run 1.5 to 2 inches @ 100 yards and with Hornady 55 gr soft points run 1 to 1.5 inches @ 100 yards. I did have one good day running just under 2 inches @ 200 yards but I have yet been able to repeat it.

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    thats good to hear. so long as i can stay around 1-1.5 moa im happy...i dont care much about sub moa quarter sized groups to show off, i just want to be able to hit 8" plates at 600 yards every time so long as i do my part.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    sweet thanks. im not worried much about anything heavier than the 62gr m855, i really only use m193 and m855

im assuming their barrels are not chromed?

I don't believe they are, but they're apparently more durable than most rifle barrels. There was a story going around a while back about a Mini-14 that had to be sent back to Ruger for a new barrel after 100,000 rounds. I've never seen nor heard of another Mini-14 needing a new barrel.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    so after my next ar build is done ( 7.62x40 WT hunting rifle :) ) i want to build a mini EBR...heres where my questions come in

1. so the newer minis have heavier profile barrels (finally), would they still benefit from the barrel stabilizers?

My newer Mini did not show a drastic improvement with the barrel strut( harbar)

2. sage EBR stock vs scar CQB stock, this is confusing me as they seem like the same thing...can anyone explain the difference between them, and which is better?

The EBR( enhanced battle rifle) is designed for the M1A/ m14 platform. the Clyde Armory scar-cqb stock is for the Mini 14/30 platform. they will not interchange. The EBR stock also requires a small modification to the m1a gas system, it also freefloats a good portion of the barrel. The scarcqb stock is a true drop in. No mods required to install. But it does not free float the barrel. It also acts as a barrel brace, similar to the strut. Improves accuracy to about 1.2" on older rifles( about2.5" moa)

The rear portion of EBR/scarcqb stocks are also compatible with for use with stocks that are designed for the Remington 870 shotgun. Gives you a bit more options than just AR or Ace stocks.

3.which scope mounts are best? i plan on topping it with a leupold mark 4 4.5-

Newer minis have built in mounts machined into the receiver, factory rings are the best.

the main goal of this rifle is to be 1 MOA or better, out to around 800 yards MAX. i want to keep the total weight sub 10 pounds loaded and fully equipped.

thoughts?

A mini 14 with a heavy barrel, scarcqb stock chassis and good optics should be able to deliver 1 moa groups if you use good factory or custom reloaded ammo.

But the beauty of he mini is not really its tack driving ability, it is the reliability with steel cased crap ammo that often chokes other platforms. Good factory mags, cheap steel cased ammo..better than an AKM accuracy... Classic American design... Whats not to like?

edit: and before anyone says it...i know and dont care if the ar platform may have better accuracy, i want a mini! lol

Please see my two cents above.:D

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      83.4 KB · Views: 5,900

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    I wouldn't expect better than 1.5moa with the standard factory barrel. With irons and cheap 55gr I usually get 3" groups at 100yds. Granted, mine's a tactical with the shorter 16" barrel.

As for the EBR look, I had mine that way for a while; but ultimately I ditched it. I found it to be significantly front heavy especially once I added a forward grip and an optic. It just wasn't comfortable to shoot unsupported for any extended period of time. It now sports an older style factory wood stock and iron sights. It weighs less than my AR and makes for a very handy little carbine that points nicely. That's the beauty of the Mini; it's light, reliable, and simple.

*One word of advice though, if you're going to store it long term, either leave the bolt locked open or strip it and scrub it. If the gas block is filthy, the op rod can get stuck in it, making the bolt a b*tch to get open.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I wouldn't expect better than 1.5moa with the standard factory barrel. With irons and cheap 55gr I usually get 3" groups at 100yds. Granted, mine's a tactical with the shorter 16" barrel.

As for the EBR look, I had mine that way for a while; but ultimately I ditched it. I found it to be significantly front heavy especially once I added a forward grip and an optic. It just wasn't comfortable to shoot unsupported for any extended period of time. It now sports an older style factory wood stock and iron sights. It weighs less than my AR and makes for a very handy little carbine that points nicely. That's the beauty of the Mini; it's light, reliable, and simple.

*One word of advice though, if you're going to store it long term, either leave the bolt locked open or strip it and scrub it. If the gas block is filthy, the op rod can get stuck in it, making the bolt a b*tch to get open.

I purposely did not clean or lube my Mini-14 for almost a year. I didn't leave the action open, either. I never had a reliability problem with it in 1500 rounds. I finally field stripped and cleaned it at 1500 because it was smelling funny. Too much Varget. :lol:

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    I purposely did not clean or lube my Mini-14 for almost a year. I didn't leave the action open, either. I never had a reliability problem with it in 1500 rounds. I finally field stripped and cleaned it at 1500 because it was smelling funny. Too much Varget. :lol:

I've never had a reliability issue when firing. It doesn't get more than a boresnake to clean it normally. The problem came after about the first 1000rds I put through it. I didn't clean it and I didn't touch it for about 5 months. When I pulled it out, the bolt was stuck shut. Took some effort to get the rifle stripped so I could get it unstuck.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I've never had a reliability issue when firing. It doesn't get more than a boresnake to clean it normally. The problem came after about the first 1000rds I put through it. I didn't clean it and I didn't touch it for about 5 months. When I pulled it out, the bolt was stuck shut. Took some effort to get the rifle stripped so I could get it unstuck.

Mine got stuck after I stopped cleaning it again. Try mortaring the rifle like you would an AR. BTW, every time you strip a Mini-14 with a wood stock you lose some accuracy since the action will be looser in the stock. That's why a lot of guys with older Mini-14s bed the action in their wood stocks.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Mine got stuck after I stopped cleaning it again. Try mortaring the rifle like you would an AR. BTW, every time you strip a Mini-14 with a wood stock you lose some accuracy since the action will be looser in the stock. That's why a lot of guys with older Mini-14s bed the action in their wood stocks.

My Mini did the same thing. A rubber mallet to the slide took care of that.

I have also good success in getting my 191 series mini to put out 1" groups with a scarcqb stock. The chassis serves as a barrel brace to stiffen it. The stock cut group sizes in half.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom