• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Crow Bait

Feb 9, 2013
    Hollywood, MD
    ****IF you have a different opinion, Please feel free to contact your legislators****

I just wanted to pass a long information on two pieces of important deer hunting legislation making their way through the MD General Assembly. Below are two bills that are extremely important. I encourage you to talk to your Senator/Delegate about these issues, and ask your friends to do the same. Our legislators work for us, and they need to hear from us regularly.

HB55: Calvert and St. Mary’s Counties – Archery Hunting – Safety Zone

HB55 reduces the safety zone for archery hunting from 150yds to 50 yds in St.Mary's and Calvert Counties. This would allow archery hunters to access more areas where deer are causing a problem. It is going before the Senate Committee on Tuesday. Please contact your Senator and ask them to SUPPORT this bill.

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/frmMain.aspx?id=HB0055&stab=01&pid=billpage&tab=subject3&ys=2015RS

SB68: Charles County and St. Mary's County - Deer Hunting – Repeal
    Status: Passed out of the Senate, No House Hearing Wednesday, March 25

SB68 repeals the extended deer hunting season in St.Mary's and Charles Counties. This season puts hunters in the awkward position of killing does that are carrying well developed fetuses. The season was pushed in the 2014 session by the farm bureau, and hunters don't support it. Hunters want to be part of the solution to overpopulation, but *most* (hunters I talk to) don't want to be baby killers. Please contact your Delegate and ask them to SUPPORT this bill.

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/frmMain.aspx?id=SB0068&stab=01&pid=billpage&tab=subject3&ys=2015RS

About contacting your legislators: A short email is all that is necessary. Let them know how you feel about a bill in your own words. 100 words or less is plenty. If you need an example email, I can provide one. If you need contact info for your Senator/Delegate I can help with that as well.

Last edited:

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Who says "Hunters do not support SB68"?

SB68 puts the hunters and farmers at odds. Deer are like rats down here is southern Saint Marys.

What would you prefer, starvation or disease because the land does not have the winter carrying capacity?

Hunters have their own set of ethics, they have the individual choice of not hunting the extended season.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    An alternative to SB68 could be to start bow/doe season in mid August.Has that ever been considered?

Doubt it

The Extended hunting season began over the horse people complaining about Sunday hunting. Legislation was passed to prohibit famers from hunting Sundays on their permits, so the horse people can ride. (which I opposed btw)

In return - DNR extended the hunting season, so that the farmers can attempt the manage their infestations.

See who is getting the real squeeze? The farming community, because of special interests!

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Still puzzled why the horse people cant ride if hunters are on private land. I can understand if sunday hunting is restricted in the public lands they have access to, on private land it shouldnt't make a difference.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Still puzzled why the horse people cant ride if hunters are on private land. I can understand if sunday hunting is restricted in the public lands they have access to, on private land it shouldnt't make a difference.
    Coz horse ppl doesn't really stay where they need to stay. They think they can go anywhere they please.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA

I got into a passionate discussion with a horse person before a hunter education class started last year. She was associated with then senator Dyson.

Her argument was not the land owner hunting where she can ride or is allowed to. It's the properties next to them shooting that spooks the horses.

I did not think of it that way, but put her argument into a logical perspective. Gun shot reports can travel quite a distance.

Crow Bait

Feb 9, 2013
    Hollywood, MD
    Who says "Hunters do not support SB68"?

SB68 puts the hunters and farmers at odds. Deer are like rats down here is southern Saint Marys.

What would you prefer, starvation or disease because the land does not have the winter carrying capacity?

Hunters have their own set of ethics, they have the individual choice of not hunting the extended season.

I meant to say "Most" Hunters do not support the extended deer season. Sorry.

This topic is somewhat polarizing, but just about everyone I talk to says they don't want to harvest deer when they are extremely pregnant, nor bucks that have lost their antlers. I don't think anyone denies the plight of the farmer, there are just better ways to accomplish the goal (some of which have already been mentioned in this thread, including Sundays, 50yd rule, earlier start, etc).

As I said at the start, if you don't agree, please contact your legislators.

Crow Bait

Feb 9, 2013
    Hollywood, MD
    This helped me form my opinion:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hunters-against-deer-hunting-past-January-31st/329364700598626

I'm willing to reconsider my statement if you have 620 friends that support the extended season... :patriot:

This Bill is not about taking something away from farmers - it's about making a statement that there is a better way. Hunter's were left out of the discussion when the extended season was passed into law in 2014.

Now that Hunters have been included in the discussion, there is an opportunity to turn this into a Win-Win... repeal this extended season this year, and go for something better next year.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Now that Hunters have been included in the discussion, there is an opportunity to turn this into a Win-Win... repeal this extended season this year, and go for something better next year.

No, that is not the way to proceed. This is nothing more than touchy feely legislation.

Repeal everything that applies to the extended season (to include the equestrian portion), not just the hunting aspect as this bill proposes.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    And how of them are truly against the extended time. Lol

We have few ppl that follows anti groups just to listen in. Smh

Crow Bait

Feb 9, 2013
    Hollywood, MD
    No, that is not the way to proceed. This is nothing more than touchy feely legislation.

Repeal everything that applies to the extended season (to include the equestrian portion), not just the hunting aspect as this bill proposes.

I guess you consider allowing Farmers to use breech loading rifles under crop damage permits - "Touchy Feely"?

Read the bill - it's in there.

Crow Bait

Feb 9, 2013
    Hollywood, MD
    Define "Certain"

Not sure you are reading the right version of the bill. Read the "3rd Reader". This is the version passed by the Senate: http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2015RS/bills/sb/sb0068t.pdf

(1) In this subsection, “Deer Management Permit” means a permit issued
    by the Department authorizing the holder to hunt deer outside of deer hunting season for the purpose of preventing damage to crops.

(2) In Charles County and St. Mary’s County, an individual who holds a Deer Management Permit may:
    (i) Use a shotgun OR BREECH LOADING CENTER FIRED RIFLE approved by the Department to hunt deer throughout deer season in the locations and under the conditions set forth in the permit; and
    (ii) Hunt deer on State agricultural crop land located in Charles County and St. Mary’s County to the same extent as the person is authorized under the
    Deer Management Permit to hunt on private land in Charles County and St. Mary’s County.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    ****IF you have a different opinion, Please feel free to contact your legislators****

I just wanted to pass a long information on two pieces of important deer hunting legislation making their way through the MD General Assembly. Below are two bills that are extremely important. I encourage you to talk to your Senator/Delegate about these issues, and ask your friends to do the same. Our legislators work for us, and they need to hear from us regularly.

HB55: Calvert and St. Mary’s Counties – Archery Hunting – Safety Zone

HB55 reduces the safety zone for archery hunting from 150yds to 50 yds in St.Mary's and Calvert Counties. This would allow archery hunters to access more areas where deer are causing a problem. It is going before the Senate Committee on Tuesday. Please contact your Senator and ask them to SUPPORT this bill.

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/frmMain.aspx?id=HB0055&stab=01&pid=billpage&tab=subject3&ys=2015RS

SB68: Charles County and St. Mary's County - Deer Hunting – Repeal
    Status: Passed out of the Senate, No House Hearing Scheduled yet

SB68 repeals the extended deer hunting season in St.Mary's and Charles Counties. This season puts hunters in the awkward position of killing does that are carrying well developed fetuses. The season was pushed in the 2014 session by the farm bureau, and hunters don't support it. Hunters want to be part of the solution to overpopulation, but *most* (hunters I talk to) don't want to be baby killers. Please contact your Delegate and ask them to SUPPORT this bill.

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/frmMain.aspx?id=SB0068&stab=01&pid=billpage&tab=subject3&ys=2015RS

About contacting your legislators: A short email is all that is necessary. Let them know how you feel about a bill in your own words. 100 words or less is plenty. If you need an example email, I can provide one. If you need contact info for your Senator/Delegate I can help with that as well.

the deer are knocked up during the rut in November. some people just don't want to see the fetus while gutting the deer. if you kill a doe after the rut, more often than not, you are killing one, two and sometimes even three fawns. its just nature.

the extended season is needed in Charles and st marys county for farmers and car owners and anyone who wants to keep a garden of shrubbery at their homes.

there are too many deer.period. they need to be thinned out.
    have yall been in the woods since it warmed up? I have and I have seen over a dozen deer that have starved to death during that cold snap and during that time when the ground was covered in snow.

either they are shot by folks that will eat them or they starve. I prefer they get shot. and plenty of them. I cant keep feeding them a 100 acres of beans every year.

Crow Bait

Feb 9, 2013
    Hollywood, MD
    the deer are knocked up during the rut in November. some people just don't want to see the fetus while gutting the deer. if you kill a doe after the rut, more often than not, you are killing one, two and sometimes even three fawns. its just nature.

This fact is not lost on me. Nor is the fact that deer are overpopulated.

The traditional Deer season is 5 Months. There are plenty of things that can be done during this period to address the problem.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Doubt it

The Extended hunting season began over the horse people complaining about Sunday hunting. Legislation was passed to prohibit famers from hunting Sundays on their permits, so the horse people can ride. (which I opposed btw)

In return - DNR extended the hunting season, so that the farmers can attempt the manage their infestations.

See who is getting the real squeeze? The farming community, because of special interests!
    Is there more horse people than hunters?

I got into a passionate discussion with a horse person before a hunter education class started last year. She was associated with then senator Dyson.

Her argument was not the land owner hunting where she can ride or is allowed to. It's the properties next to them shooting that spooks the horses.

I did not think of it that way, but put her argument into a logical perspective. Gun shot reports can travel quite a distance.
    Tell her to get a new horse that doesnt spook easy:innocent0:sad20::lol2: I know that would start an argument but still would be funny

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    This fact is not lost on me. Nor is the fact that deer are overpopulated.

The traditional Deer season is 5 Months. There are plenty of things that can be done during this period to address the problem.

those who have crop damage permits shoot year round. we cannot even come close to addressing the problem. shortening the season for others who shoot surely wont do a thing. try putting yourself in a farmers shoes and drive up to a field that costs you $5-600 per acre to grow and harvest and see 40-50 deer grazing there. maybe you get 5 or 6 before the rest run off. the next day you go back and there are 40-50 deer grazing there again. if you have a dozen or more fields you cant be everywhere at one time. some years you get wiped out. deer populations need to be cut down to the way they were in the 80's. there were plenty deer for everyone and you could farm without going broke and even keep a garden and have flowers at your house.

the dnr guys I talk to keep saying they are trying to make deer a nuisance animal so they can be shot all year like ground hogs. I wish they would go ahead and do that. to hell with these cockroaches(deer). they need to be controlled. but if we do nothing mother nature will do it for us. they will starve, get diseases or hit by cars. something needs to be done, something pretty drastic. by us or my nature. I just don't want to see them all starve but if its gonna be at my expense, at others farmers expense, that they don't well, let them starve.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    those who have crop damage permits shoot year round. we cannot even come close to addressing the problem. shortening the season for others who shoot surely wont do a thing. try putting yourself in a farmers shoes and drive up to a field that costs you $5-600 per acre to grow and harvest and see 40-50 deer grazing there. maybe you get 5 or 6 before the rest run off. the next day you go back and there are 40-50 deer grazing there again. if you have a dozen or more fields you cant be everywhere at one time. some years you get wiped out. deer populations need to be cut down to the way they were in the 80's. there were plenty deer for everyone and you could farm without going broke and even keep a garden and have flowers at your house.

the dnr guys I talk to keep saying they are trying to make deer a nuisance animal so they can be shot all year like ground hogs. I wish they would go ahead and do that. to hell with these cockroaches(deer). they need to be controlled. but if we do nothing mother nature will do it for us. they will starve, get diseases or hit by cars. something needs to be done, something pretty drastic. by us or my nature. I just don't want to see them all starve but if its gonna be at my expense, at others farmers expense, that they don't well, let them starve.

Some blame falls on the hippie tree huggers....some blame falls on inconsiderate "hunters" that mess up hunting for the majority of ethical hunters. Otherwise farmers would be more apt to have hunters come take care of business, but when they trash the place and one guy thats invited brings 10 other people and they dont respect the land...farmers/land owners stop allowing anyone to hunt. It doesnt happen in all cases but thats why so many landowners are leery of letting hunters in.

Many people are just too lazy to hunt anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom