• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DCSCO

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2008
    Frederick County
    Silver Spring is the area served by the Silver Spring post office. Now that that's settled. Silver Spring was real 15 - 20 years ago. Proper rents, tradesmen and merchants carried on life. In come the yupee's to make bethesda east. fake, fake,fake crappy buildings won't age like old silver spring. DTSS destined for struggle. It all started with METRO Rail

ColonelHurtz

A pile of little arms.
    Nov 13, 2008
    The problem, as you mentioned, is City Place. That's a prime shopping location that is almost completely wasted. Dumping the current yucky tenants and getting some decent stores in that actually sell more than clothes would be huge. Example: why the hell is there no Gamestop? Why is there no electronics store?

We used to call that, "Black Flint Mall". :)

one-star

Mar 9, 2009
    Silver Spring is the area served by the Silver Spring post office. Now that that's settled. Silver Spring was real 15 - 20 years ago. Proper rents, tradesmen and merchants carried on life. In come the yupee's to make bethesda east. fake, fake,fake crappy buildings won't age like old silver spring. DTSS destined for struggle. It all started with METRO Rail

Yeah, I remember driving past "real" downtown silver spring 17 ago and seeing 2 guys handcuffed together running across GA at Colesville with a bunch of cops chasing behind. Was one of my formative HS memories....

Ill take the yuppies, thanks

jamesriver

Dec 8, 2009
    Aspen Hill
    Ugh... Silver Spring, on its own, is a meaningless term, because the county uses that name for a HUGE swath of unincorporated land. We're talking about "downtown Silver Spring" and the surrounding environs here, folks. I live in Aspen Hill, and while I could technically claim I'm in Silver Spring, it'd basically be a lie.

Aspen Hill FTW :party29:

SpringChicken

Sep 17, 2010
    I'm in that no-man's land between DTSS and Wheaton (affectionately called "Wheato" now, due to the burned out sign on the Wheaton Shopping Center on the east side of Georgia). 20902 zip code, but still "Silver Spring" on our address. Luckily, we're tucked into a decent neighborhood away from Georgia toward Sligo Creek. Still, it pains me every time I drive through Wheato and get that sinking sensation from the rapid drop of my property value.

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    I'm in that no-man's land between DTSS and Wheaton (affectionately called "Wheato" now, due to the burned out sign on the Wheaton Shopping Center on the east side of Georgia). 20902 zip code, but still "Silver Spring" on our address. Luckily, we're tucked into a decent neighborhood away from Georgia toward Sligo Creek. Still, it pains me every time I drive through Wheato and get that sinking sensation from the rapid drop of my property value.

Wheaton is such a shit dump. When they closed barnabys and ferdinands, the only real reason for me to venture into Wheaton are to go to Elby's or the VFW on occasion. Those new irish restaurants aren't that bad though. Royal mile has a great beer list.

SpringChicken

Sep 17, 2010
    Those new irish restaurants aren't that bad though. Royal mile has a great beer list.

Not gonna argue about Wheato. Love my street and my neighbors, hate the surrounding area. Just recently found those little pubs tucked into all that crap and detritus in the Veirs Mill triangle. Nice places, good beer that's hard to find on tap around here; hope they survive and thrive.

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    Royal Mile has been there for a while. The other place is fairly new (like under a year), so the jury is still out on if it will survive or not. The VFW is not bad either. I grew up on the other side of Georgia from you, near Forest Glen metro. Wheaton has been going down hill for a while now.

LCPIWB

Needs an avatar
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 17, 2011
    Underneath the blimp, Md.
    no one take this the wrong way, but how dangerous is silver spring?

As someone who has worked two blocks north of the metro for the last 6 years...I definately prefer to leave before it gets dark. Recently I have been seriously considering carrying, illegal or not according to Maryland's Nazi laws.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom