• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Target

si vis pacem para bellum
    Jul 9, 2008
    Hi I'm new to rifles i have 2 shotguns but am looking to get some rifles soon a .22 an a .308 but i kinda want to get a fun gun to so i was currios to know what is not allowed in this wonderfull state and what is needed to maybe build an ar-15 if i went that route as far as paperwork goes just currious on what is a no-no

Thanks

squirrels

Who cooks for you?
    Jan 25, 2008
    AR15s are still legal in MD. They've tried for 3 years to pass an "AWB" and it got struck down all three times. This most recent year, I don't think they even tried.

HBAR sporters are "cash-and-carry". All other AR15 configurations (including buying a stripped lower and building one yourself) are considered "assault weapons" and you have to go through the same paperwork for them as for handguns. But they're all legit.

The one thing that ISN'T legit is an AR15 pistol. (i.e. an AR15 with a pistol buffer tube or other no-stock configuration) MD classifies it as an "assault pistol". Which is a joke, but if it's the worst joke MD can come up with, I'll deal with it.

Oh, and anything with a barrel shorter than 16" in total has to go through ATF...but that's another story.

Target

si vis pacem para bellum
    Jul 9, 2008
    but what are the rules to what you can not have? what about full auto or burst? sorry bout the noob questions just trying to understand

bean93x

JamBandGalore
    Mar 27, 2008
    WV
    i loved maryland when i lived there, till i moved to WV and learned about gun laws and now, i love making fun of people on the forum because i can go to a shop or internet store and have NO restrictions on buying anything :D

ha, I can buy 30 round mags while you guys have to sneak em in or make a trip to buy them :D

EDIT: our state hands out CCW permits like theres no tomorrow and i can open carry when i turn 18

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    but what are the rules to what you can not have? what about full auto or burst? sorry bout the noob questions just trying to understand
    As AK said, full auto is fine with the federal tax stamp, but you have to register with the state every year too. It costs ten dollars, but that is a fee for your collection, not for each full auto. So in other words, as I understand it, you have ten machine guns, the state registration fee is just ten dollars total.

The only NFA device not allowed (without a state explosicves license I assume) is an explosive destructivre device. All other destructinve devices (and all other NFA) are legal with a tax stamp though.

No flamethrowers.

Even so called "assault pistols" (AP)can be owned in MD, but you have to register them as NFA devices in order to do so. In other words, the AR15 pistol would be legal to own if it was not longer a "pistol" and was made into and registered as an Any Other Weapon (AOW).

All other pistols not on the AP list (like the AK47 pistol does not seem to be on the list) is legal to own in MD. All rifles and shotguns are legal to own in MD.
    In order to buy a handgun made after 1984, it has to be on the approved roster, but if you owned them before moving to the state, that is legal (except for the listed "assault pistols"). The roster only has to do with sales and transfers, not possesion or ownership.

Magazines....you are only allowed to buy, sell or transfer magazines that hold 20 rounds or less, but you are allowed to posses ones with greater capacity or buy them out of state and bring them back with you.

Making your own firearms, except for so called "assault pistols", it is perfectly legal to make a handgun or long gun in MD and you do not have to register them.

I am not a lawyer.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    i loved maryland when i lived there, till i moved to WV and learned about gun laws and now, i love making fun of people on the forum because i can go to a shop or internet store and have NO restrictions on buying anything :D

ha, I can buy 30 round mags while you guys have to sneak em in or make a trip to buy them :D

EDIT: our state hands out CCW permits like theres no tomorrow and i can open carry when i turn 18

Actually because you are under 18, you can go into a shop, but you can't buy anything. :P

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member

Yeah, but here's the thing .... you have to live in West Virginia :lol2:

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Full auto (amazingly enough) is legal in MD. You need to license it with the state for lik $10 or something. Now the Fed tax is gonna cost ya...

For the sake of clarity...

The full auto weapon must be a LEGAL full auto weapon, meaning it was manufactured and registered before, I believe, 1986, and you paid your $200 to the ATF for a class III.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom