• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    went out yesterday with my ML and saw tree rats and a fox.

Our Christmas plans got post poned due to a lot of the family being sick, so i'm thinking, snow, and no plans...may as well go X bow hunting in the back yard! Mery Christmas to me!!!!

mercop

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 7, 2008
    SW PA
    Thought I saw a Sasquatch off of 83 the other day. They when I saw how long the hair was and a cigarette hanging out of it's mouth I realized it was my sister in law.- George

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Thought I saw a Sasquatch off of 83 the other day. They when I saw how long the hair was and a cigarette hanging out of it's mouth I realized it was my sister in law.- George

:lol::lol: this had me rolling! back on track...I saw about 6 deer moving around 430 shot one of the biggest does in the group with my muzzle loader I got for xmas from my wife last year... the doe ran about 50-60 yds...:thumbsup:

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Too windy yesterday. didn't go out. Supposed to be windy today as well. 40 percent chance of me personally going out tonight; definitely am going out tomorrow since the wind is supposed to lay down by then.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Same here, I took the day off from hunting yesterday to get some things done here on the workbench, but, I'll be back on the hunting horse this afternoon.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Well, maybe my luck is finally turning... I only needed him to walk three more feet..... :envy:

Got into my stand at 0630 this morning. At about 0720 hours, I see a deer's head bobbing slowly towards me through the brush and tree's, about 80 yards off. He finally meanders in closer; about 50 yards and then starts to move broadside. However, there are still too many tree's, saplings and bushes/twigs between me and him for a good shot. Except....

...for a small triangular hole in the vegetation that would allow me to send a TC Arms Shockwave directly into his ribcage. A perfect shot. He's standing and facing three feet away from that opening.....

....but he hesitates, raises and turns his head listening. After what seemed to be an eternity; he reverses his steps and slowly goes back out the way I saw him come in.

I will be out there again tomorrow morning; THIS time with my grunter. :sad20:

So, I'm heading out in a few hours to my other spot in Frederick. Maybe I can bag a doe this evening. If she has horns; well that's a plus.... ;)

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Welp, this morning makes 4 outings in a row when I haven't even seen the first hair of a deer. A stark contrast to my first 5 outings, when I took 4 animals. I hope this ends soon, I'd like two more deer in the freezer!

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Here's a new buck in the game. Got this lopsided wetalldid buck on the game cam the other night, he's a 7 pointer with a bump. The rest of the pics are HERE.

Attachments

• wetaldidbuck.jpg
      wetaldidbuck.jpg
      73.6 KB · Views: 154

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Aaaargh !!!!

One of the properties I hunt in Lisbon; I left this morning at 0930 hours (frikken frozen I was), and the lady just sent this to me in an email @1230 hours:

Hi
    Just watched one large buck, one small buck, two small doe, and one very large doe wander under your tree stand. They even posed. I swear the little guy stuck his tongue out at me.

Oh well

Going back there this afternoon. I need to kill them. Now I'm pissed off....

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I saw 6 does in a group at 2:15 this afternoon while driving in to the farm road. I had a fawn and small doe come in about 4PM this evening at 20 yards. I pull the trigger and the #11 cap went POP but the gun didn't go BOOM, don't it figure LOL that gun has worked flawlessly at the shooting range, Oh well, I tried, and it was worth the fun of using that old sidelock cap gun. I'll be out there in the AM with the Traditions 209 this time.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    I saw the really big doe today and she ran funny, so I think someone wounded her. I'm planning to hunt saturday to see if I see her still hanging with the other deer, and if they all come out in the usual spot I'll see what's going on, and take her if I can.

The way she ran was like she was bunched a bit, just didn't look right. Also I thought I detected a slight limp. Maybe someone shot her in the lower gut or the hams.

Earlier on I spooked the deer herd and they all jumped the fence except 1 ditzy doe fawn. I stood there with a dead fox at my feet watching her run back and forth along the fence. She plain wouldn't jump and I got bored of watching her. I figured in the time it would take me to go get and load the muzzleloader and toss the orange vest on and grab the tags and stuff, she would have figured it out, so I didn't bother to try. It has to be the same ditzy doe fawn I saw do this once before.

Diesel Kinevel

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Frederick, MD
    I saw 6 does in a group at 2:15 this afternoon while driving in to the farm road. I had a fawn and small doe come in about 4PM this evening at 20 yards. I pull the trigger and the #11 cap went POP but the gun didn't go BOOM, don't it figure LOL that gun has worked flawlessly at the shooting range, Oh well, I tried, and it was worth the fun of using that old sidelock cap gun. I'll be out there in the AM with the Traditions 209 this time.

I have a Sidelock 50 cal that I bought from Cabelas. The first thing I did when I bought it was replace the #11 nipple with a Musket cap nipple. I have never had a miss fire. The replacement nipple was about 5 bucks I think.

-Z

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I have a Sidelock 50 cal that I bought from Cabelas. The first thing I did when I bought it was replace the #11 nipple with a Musket cap nipple. I have never had a miss fire. The replacement nipple was about 5 bucks I think.

-Z

Yep already did that too. The nipple was the first thing to go. Next time I'll use the Pyrodex P instead of the Triple 7. I had to do the same thing with my .32 cal buckhunter tree rat rifle.

nobones

Dec 2, 2009
    Calvert
    So I get into my stand about 5:45. Hear a deer over my left shoulder in thick stuff poking around before light, a couple times clearing the nose but not quite making me out. Hear him there for about 40 minutes then no more. See what I think is a turkey over my right shoulder scratching around, goes behind a tree and then gone. Wondering where the heck it went then see it climbing down a tree; so then i m guessing it was a racoon. Never saw one on this farm before and too dark still to be positive. See nothing else all morning but squirrels so I go for a walk about 9:30. On my way back Im walking up the powerlines slowely and scanning the edges. At the bottom the powerline valley I see a deer off to my right about 25 yards just standing. I squat. I really would like it to walk into the lines and off the neighbor's property. It is also standing on the edge of a steep crested hill that drops right down to the rail trail (Bensville Park area). I really dont want to shoot it there. I pull a clod of grass, find a stone and throw it behind the deer. It does nothing. I see its neck in a small V of a sappling and it looks like it is leashed up or something. It is not running like a normal deer would. I get up and approach from beyond. Its just flopping the tail. As I get within 5 yards I see its a buck with missing antlers. No blood just open circle like holes. It is pretty thin but not exactly sickly. I keep walking and am within 2 yards. I think I could have smacked it on the ass. It walks into a deep cut ditch and slowely walks further into the neighboring property. Something was not quite right with this deer and I would have liked to shoot it if it were in a better location. But even then I might be worried about butchering that one. Really I could have lassoed (sp?) it if I wanted. Then when my kids say (did you catch a deer?) I could finally say, Why yes I did Its tied up in the backyard? WIERD DAY.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Well I officially got skunked this year for gun season. First time in my life. Oh well, still got 3 weeks of bow season left. Fingers crossed for at least one more.

davelenard

Mar 4, 2009
    Lot's of squirrels this morning, no deer, heard lot's of shooting, but no blood in the empty parking lot that was full when I went into the woods; On the drive home 1/4 mile up the road saw a herd of 15+ deer heading back in the direction of my stand. Oh well, one in the freezer for the year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom