So, we discovered what Linseed oil does when left alone - Quite a few pictures.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rabu Rabu

Operatoroperatoroperator
    Sep 10, 2012
    Cambridge, MD
    So, for a bit of back story, my dad just bought an M1 carbine that had been poorly refinished and he wanted to re-militarize it by re-finishing in boiled linseed.

That's all fine, so he was doing it well and it was all coming along great, unbeknownst to me he had thrown the rags covered in BLO into a trashcan with wood and other combustibles, and left them overnight. The next morning we woke up to smoke billowing out of the garage. He and I called the fire department and took up garden hoses and sprayed the fire down ourselves using respirators. This was the aftermath.

This used to be 3 50 gallon trash cans.
    IMG_0200.jpg

The garage door a good 7 feet from the trashcans, note the insulation.
    IMG_0202.jpg

The fluorescent lights 10 feet away from the fire.
    IMG_0204.jpg

IMG_0206.jpg

Formerly an air conditioner.
    IMG_0209.jpg

All of his tools.
    IMG_0205.jpg

And of course [And most tragically, in my opinion.] His trophy bucks.
    IMG_0207.jpg

IMG_0208.jpg

IMG_0201.jpg

I suppose I'm making this as a message to anyone using BLO. Make sure to read the instructions on the can and store the waste somewhere that won't catch fire. As for us, we've got a lot of cleaning in our future, and luckily, we've got fire insurance. Just a heads up to you guys that refinish using this stuff. Be careful.

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    WOW! That sucks, glad everyone is ok.
    Thanks for the heads-up and cautionary tale.
    So was there some sort of chemical reaction or was there some source of spark?

Last edited:

Rabu Rabu

Operatoroperatoroperator
    Sep 10, 2012
    Cambridge, MD
    The rags just combusted from the BLO heating up as it dried, must have caught all the wood in the cans on fire. Could have been worse I suppose. Lucky for us this garage isn't conjoined to our house.

VWTurbo

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2010
    Perry Hall
    glad no one got hurt. Costly learning experience but at least no one paid the ultimate price.
    What is the suggested use and disposal of BLO?

Rabu Rabu

Operatoroperatoroperator
    Sep 10, 2012
    Cambridge, MD
    I'm going to guess a galvanized steel trashcan with no other combustibles, the can doesn't exactly list good methods now that I'm reading it.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    Having been through a house fire, I feel for you. As long as there was no injuries, feel blessed. Things can be replaced, but it still hurts.

Prayers sent ...

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    I put things like that in a cast iron pot by themselves out on our back patio and let everything evaporate for at least several days.

Bryan

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Wow! You really are lucky it wasn't a lot worse.

I've often posted about stock finishing with tung oil or linseed oil, and I always warn people about this. From now on I'm going to link to this thread everytime the subject comes up

What is the suggested use and disposal of BLO?

Put rags in an old paint can or something full of water. (To be doubly safe, throw them in your neighbor's trash on a dark and moonless night.)

And/Or

Spread the rags out flat and separated from each other outside away from anything that might catch fire. (Then throw them in your neighbor's trash on a dark and moonless night,)

Or

What I do is use paper towels, which I tear up in little bits and flush down the toilet.

Gummy

May 16, 2009
    Eden
    Glad nobody got hurt. I work on my firearms in a spare bedroom in the house. When I get done cleaning, refinishing or oiling firearms I take all the garbage out and burn it in a burn barrel. I live in the sticks so I can get away with it:D. Spontaneous combustion has always scared me. My wife and I have been through a house fire also and it ain't any fun.

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    glad no one was hurt, and its an important lesson for everyone, it can be very easy to get complacent, i know ive probably tossed some BLO soaked rags in the past without thinking about it.

you should definitely either dispose of them wet, lay them out in the yard to let them dry safely in the open, or seal them in a metal can by themselves.

i never actually personally heard of a fire starting from BLO rags, ill definitely pay more attention in the future.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    I know I speak for everyone here in saying Thank the Lord no one was hurt!

We experienced a fire episode last year and the aftermath isn't fun to deal with.

This is a reminder that just about all the stuff we deal with our toys - from reloading to refinishing - can be very dangerous!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom