So This Is The Response I Got From MSP Regarding Private Transfers...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ninety9Soulz

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap.
    Feb 23, 2013
    I sent an e-mail to my local barrack just to make certain on private transfers. My question was to confirm that I can transfer the firearm after 8 days of submitting the application. This is exactly what I got back...

"Good morning, we suggest that you until the background check is completed before transferring the weapon."

This was from the La Plata Barrack. :wtf:

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    That's funny, I did two transfers there at the end of February, one from me to a friend one from a friend to me. The trooper at the desk said I can transfer after 8 days.

I even called Licensing a month later and they said that yes, in fact, a transfer could be completed after 8 days.

Si vis pacem para bellum

follow me @DiscipleofJMB - GO PENS!

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Another state employee making up rules as they go along. You should reply with a suggestion that they get the check done in a timely matter as per state law. :sad20:

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Definitely what I will still do, but I'm just dumbfounded why they would suggest that?? They know full well this is over a 3 month wait...

Welcome to Maryland.

Where the police do not know the laws they enforce.

I just went through this in february also. If you have no reason to believe the buyer is a prohibited person, you can release the firearm on the eighth day.

The MSP will send you the 77 forms for signature in a couple of months, notify them you released it on the eigth day. Which is within the guidance they are giving to dealers.

Ninety9Soulz

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap.
    Feb 23, 2013
    That's funny, I did two transfers there at the end of February, one from me to a friend one from a friend to me. The trooper at the desk said I can transfer after 8 days.

I even called Licensing a month later and they said that yes, in fact, a transfer could be completed after 8 days.

Si vis pacem para bellum

Whew, that's good news then. Was really looking forward to finally getting this done.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Definitely what I will still do, but I'm just dumbfounded why they would suggest that?? They know full well this is over a 3 month wait...

Want to get your noodle really baked?

At the College Park barrack, I have been told that an AR-15 lower "is not a gun" because it's "just a part". :rolleyes:

Recently (Nov/Dec of 2012), the trooper at CP refused to do a transfer because it was dark outside. I had called earlier in the day and asked if I could come around 7 pm, and the nice lady on the phone said I could do it "anytime." This trooper said "anytime? Yeah... anytime the SUN IS OUT."

So the big tough guy wearing armor and a Glock 22 is too scared to walk out to the car? :lol2:

I'm sorry but the MSP is a joke...

Si vis pacem para bellum

Last edited:

Gbh

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    I sent an e-mail to my local barrack just to make certain on private transfers. My question was to confirm that I can transfer the firearm after 8 days of submitting the application. This is exactly what I got back...

"Good morning, we suggest that you until the background check is completed before transferring the weapon."

I would respond back... "7 days, will do, thanks!"

Ninety9Soulz

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap.
    Feb 23, 2013
    Another state employee making up rules as they go along. You should reply with a suggestion that they get the check done in a timely matter as per state law. :sad20:

lol...it figures. I was thinking of politely asking a rhetorical question about the law but I'd rather not. I'll just make sure to release it after the 8th day like the law states.

Welcome to Maryland.

Where the police do not know the laws they enforce.

I just went through this in february also. If you have no reason to believe the buyer is a prohibited person, you can release the firearm on the eighth day.

The MSP will send you the 77 forms for signature in a couple of months, notify them you released it on the eigth day. Which is within the guidance they are giving to dealers.

Hmm OK, thank you for the info sir.

Nov 14, 2010
    Kingsville, MD
    a2uqyhyp.jpg

Ninety9Soulz

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap.
    Feb 23, 2013

At the College Park barrack, I have been told that an AR-15 lower "is not a gun" because it's "just a part". :rolleyes:

Recently, the trooper at CP refused to do a transfer because it was dark outside. I had called earlier in the day and asked if I could come around 7 pm, and the nice lady on the phone said I could do it "anytime." This trooper said "anytime? Yeah... anytime the SUN IS OUT."

So the big tough guy wearing armor and a Glock 22 is too scared to walk out to the car? :lol2:

Si vis pacem para bellum

These are exactly the kind of complications I'm trying to avoid too, sorry you had to deal with that. We just try to get these things done as smoothly as possible, follow the law, and this is the kind of stuff we deal with...absolute insanity I swear.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010

If someone "suggests" that you do something... it is not "telling" you to do it. It is merely a suggestion.

The Trooper knows what the law is and he also knows what the OWEficial "line" is from the top. So he covers his hind parts on the job by "suggesting" that you wait.

Meh... :cool:

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    If someone "suggests" that you do something... it is not "telling" you to do it. It is merely a suggestion.

The Trooper knows what the law is and he also knows what the OWEficial "line" is from the top. So he covers his hind parts on the job by "suggesting" that you wait.

Meh... :cool:

His suggetion was not asked for. A confirmation about the legality of the eigth day release was.

So it appears a MSP trooper intentionally obfuscated the law, to satisfy his political master. Sounds criminal doesn't it?

Moon

M-O-O-N, that spells...
    Jan 4, 2013
    In Orbit

This was from the La Plata Barrack. :wtf:

The operative word is highlighted.

They suggested it to you because that is what they would like you to do. If you couldn't, I think they would have worded their response much differently.

huesmann

n00b
    Mar 23, 2012
    Silver Spring, MD

Recently, the trooper at CP refused to do a transfer because it was dark outside. I had called earlier in the day and asked if I could come around 7 pm, and the nice lady on the phone said I could do it "anytime." This trooper said "anytime? Yeah... anytime the SUN IS OUT."

Si vis pacem para bellum

Sun don't set til after 8 nowadays.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Sun don't set til after 8 nowadays.

When I said recent I should have been more clear, it was in November or December. I remember going off on the trooper because normal people work till 5 or 6 and can't get to a barrack before dark. He said he didn't care. :rolleyes:

Si vis pacem para bellum

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom