• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    So, I'm kinda pissed. Apparently the rounds I grabbed aren't right... Accidentally grabbed .222 rem and not .223. Anyone here shoot .222 ammo at all?

I just gave some to another member here. I'll see if I still have his contact info. I got a box given to me somewhere down the line and couldn't use them.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    How much is their shipping? Looking at their website seems all the prices there are what I paid today local.

You'd save a touch over 3 cents per round, even after shipping, but trust us...once you start shooting with that new 30 round mag, 1000 rounds will quickly dwindle...:lol2:

SGammo cost below...

Last edited:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    That sucks :sad20: I feel for you. A while ago I picked up 3 boxes of 7mm08 for the wife from Dick's...just picked up the stack off the shelf. It wasn't till I got home that I noticed one said 30-30 on it :mad54:

Been there done that. A couple of times I've grabbed boxes of 20ga shells when I thought I grabbed 12ga only to realize it when I got home.

Only solution is I need to get a 20ga shotgun.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Check out Graf and sons. $7.99 flat shipping on all orders and their prices are usually pretty good as well. I've ordered from them twice. A brick of .22lr and .44 sabots for my ML about 6 months ago and a couple of weeks ago a couple of boxes of .308, a box of .45acp and a box of 12ga #6. Compared to same/similar from bass pro or cabela's even paying the $8 shipping it saved me about $5 on an only ~$50 order.

If I'd been ordering 10 boxes of .308 or something it would have been more like $15-20 saved.

slowpoke

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Annapolis
    You'd save a touch over 3 cents per round, even after shipping, but trust us...once you start shooting with that new 30 round mag, 1000 rounds will quickly dwindle...:lol2:

SGammo cost below...

Agreed. Wolf Gold is the way to go for affordable brass case ammo. I've found nice deals online from SG and also the Armory.

boltster08

Feb 7, 2015
    Belair
    And walked out with two 30 round Pmags, 140 rounds of .223 range ammo (good deal too), 20 rounds of Hornady Superformance Varmint (for HD), gun sock, new Hoppes flannel cloth.

Me and a buddy were able to get up to Cabellas today and they had 150 round American Eagle 5.56 boxes for $53! One hell of a deal!

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    Agreed. Wolf Gold is the way to go for affordable brass case ammo. I've found nice deals online from SG and also the Armory.

Two great sites to find the gold. If you sign up for email alerts you can find it for $289-$300 shipped per 1k rounds and sometimes the deal includes an ammo can as well. Another $10-$15 in value. The ammo (imho) is the best brass cased plinking ammo for the money out there.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    Two great sites to find the gold. If you sign up for email alerts you can find it for $289-$300 shipped per 1k rounds and sometimes the deal includes an ammo can as well. Another $10-$15 in value. The ammo (imho) is the best brass cased plinking ammo for the money out there.

I agree. :thumbsup:

Me and a buddy were able to get up to Cabellas today and they had 150 round American Eagle 5.56 boxes for $53! One hell of a deal!

That's a decent price, BUT...Is that the M855 "green tip" ammo?

Horst & McCann and Freestate both consider that "armor piercing" ammo, and unfortunately isn't allowed inside their ranges...I have a few boxes, saved for either some outside range shooting, or for when the Zombies come...:blush:

H&Mc:
    Muzzleloading Firearms
    Black Powder or substitutes
    Tracer bullets
    Armor Piercing bullets
    Bird Shot or any shot smaller than #4 buckshot
    Any ammunition which contains steel as any component

Freestate:
    Tracer, incendiary, armor piercing, and steel core ammunition are strictly prohibited. If FreeState staff identifies that you are shooting any of the aforementioned ammunition, you will be removed from the range and banned from future use.

I'd definitely call them and clarify. I know H&Mc's "rules" say NO "shot smaller than #4 buckshot", but they wouldn't let me shoot #4 buckshot there 2 weeks ago...said it had to be 00buckshot...but a few weeks ago (or so) their "rules" also said no .223/5.56/AR's, so...... your luck may vary with the rules. :sad20:

If it isn't the green tips....then disregard everything I just typed...lol. :lol2:

Emtbreid

Dec 21, 2015
    Baltimore County
    I agree. :thumbsup:

That's a decent price, BUT...Is that the M855 "green tip" ammo?

Horst & McCann and Freestate both consider that "armor piercing" ammo, and unfortunately isn't allowed inside their ranges...I have a few boxes, saved for either some outside range shooting, or for when the Zombies come...:blush:

H&Mc:

Freestate:

I'd definitely call them and clarify. I know H&Mc's "rules" say NO "shot smaller than #4 buckshot", but they wouldn't let me shoot #4 buckshot there 2 weeks ago...said it had to be 00buckshot...but a few weeks ago (or so) their "rules" also said no .223/5.56/AR's, so...... your luck may vary with the rules. :sad20:

If it isn't the green tips....then disregard everything I just typed...lol. :lol2:

They did have 5.56 that wasn't green tip in 150 round boxes, I think he's ok.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    They did have 5.56 that wasn't green tip in 150 round boxes, I think he's ok.

That's cool. Just wanted to give a head's up. Nothing sucks more than to get all packed up, hyped up, and head to the range, only to be told you can't shoot the bigass box of ammo you just bought...sadly, I know this first hand. :o

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    That sucks :sad20: I feel for you. A while ago I picked up 3 boxes of 7mm08 for the wife from Dick's...just picked up the stack off the shelf. It wasn't till I got home that I noticed one said 30-30 on it :mad54:

You still have it to sell?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom