• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I remember back in my early handgun shooting days. I got the sights regulated as close as I could then just shot for consistant groups. I followed the advice of a top bullseye shooter and 1911 builder, "Read this book (Pistol Shooters' Treasury) and get a spotting scope".

cyberfrance

Feb 1, 2012
    I remember back in my early handgun shooting days. I got the sights regulated as close as I could then just shot for consistant groups. I followed the advice of a top bullseye shooter and 1911 builder, "Read this book (Pistol Shooters' Treasury) and get a spotting scope".

Thanks. I will happily read that book. I'm learning!:cool:

cyberfrance

Feb 1, 2012
    Is a spotting scope something like a monocular? I have a good pair of field glasses. My brother used something that reminded me of a single binocular, or monocular.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    cyberfrance said:
    Is a spotting scope something like a monocular? I have a good pair of field glasses. My brother used something that reminded me of a single binocular, or monocular.

Or like a telescope.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    You can use either. It is used in conjunction with "calling your shot". A previous poster stated the main ideas were "focus and trigger control". Great assessment. There are other things to consider, but those are the most influential on the shot.

When calling your shot, you are focused on the front sight. You are pulling straight back on the trigger as if pulling the front sight through the rear sight. When the shot breaks, keep the image of how the sights were aligned and where they were on the target in your mind. Then look through the spotting scope or binoculars and see if that is where the shot impacted the target.

A couple things, remember, you are area aiming. This means you are holding on an area of the target, not any single given point. Holding on a single given point leads to jumping on the trigger, i.e. trigger jerk. The other is if you use binoculars, concentrate on getting a consistant grip on the pistol, the same way every time.

Shooting is like golf or shooting pool, consistancy is vitally important.

nomo613

Nov 24, 2010
    pikesville
    massad ayoobs book called combat handgunnery (i think), is an amazing source of knowledge in all aspects of the gun. this is one of the two books i read on shooting when i got started. remember, good books and videos dont take the place of a trainer, but they help you practice and reinforce the principles your taught.

cyberfrance

Feb 1, 2012
    Magnumite:

Thank you. I'll take my binoculars next time and do as you suggest. I have them from when I had to track my parrots on the rare occasions that they got loose.

I really do need an instructor to watch me like a hawk and one that can place his hand over mine as I sight the target and squeeze the trigger. I think that's essential to get a true feel for it. It's obvious to me that attention to the details will make or break my shooting accuracy. I may ask my granddaughter to video me so I can review my stance and pull. Once I see myself bobbing and weaving, I'm sure I'll remember better.:cool:

cyberfrance

Feb 1, 2012
    massad ayoobs book called combat handgunnery (i think), is an amazing source of knowledge in all aspects of the gun. this is one of the two books i read on shooting when i got started. remember, good books and videos dont take the place of a trainer, but they help you practice and reinforce the principles your taught.

I will certainly look into that one. Thanks.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Those are good books, nomo. I have the Stressfires in hiding somewhere here in the house. They were good ones also.

Don't fight the bob and weave too much, cyberfrance. Just work on a little less of it with each shot. If you are shooting a revolver, or an auto (you'll need a snap cap for your caliber) you can use the ball and dummy method. That will show flinches and pushing big time.

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    If you are consistantly shooting low, you could well be "pulling" the gun down as you pull the trigger. You might try dry firing the gun while facing a mirror (after clearing the firearm of course), and checking your form. You might notice that the barrel is dipping as you fire. Just a thought. And I agree, get some professional instruction if possible, though as long as you're safe...thats the main thing.

Others will offer better informed opinions, since I"m not a pistol guy. Now if you want to shoot some AKs........:D

BLACKTALON

Ammo is like food
    Aug 4, 2011
    severna park
    Going on a Sunday can be a mistake unless you are a seasoned shooter. Its going to be busy on a weekend day.

While On Target and other Ranges do a good job of keeping an eye on things, your chances of being muzzle swept and being around a bunch of idiots practicing for drive-bys increases dramatically on the weekend. Its just is what it is.

+ 1 people do some crazy things at on target

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    Sign up for one of mcbruzdzinski's classes, a little refresher from a professional never hurts.

Thanks for the support!

I was going to suggest if you just wanted some pointers, come out to the informal shoots that the Monumental Women's Division puts on on Sat/Sun afternoons. Or, jsut take one of the upcoming Women On Target Pistol clinics.

Nothing better than seeing more women shooting and more women teaching other woment to shoot (even if it means I loose a student)!

cyberfrance

Feb 1, 2012
    Mike:

I may, in fact, look you up. I'm on a time crunch here lately. I have a mom with melanoma and my left knee is giving me a fit. That's why I couldn't go to Annapolis today. I had planned to go to the hearings today. I just got back from the orthopedic doctor. We are trying to stretch this one out as long as possible.

When I read the the article by Moosad, I could just see myself doing all of those primary things incorrectly. I read many of his articles and have ordered his book and Gila Hayes book. I think the way I learn best is understanding the dynamics and geometry. Think in terms of shooting pool and being able to anticipate the roll of the balls, the English spins and trying to not sink the cue ball. He makes statements about triangular supporting of the upper body with the lower placing of the feet.

My brother is trying to educate me as I am adapting to many different guns. If you'll recall, our first outing was just to feel how a handgun felt and how different ones worked. This second outing was about me familiarizing myself with my own gun and its properties. And, he was also instructing and watching my grand daughter. So he only made few suggestions. He was wanting me to acquaint myself with the kick of the different loads and where they would likely wind up.

I do believe that we probably were shooting at targets too far away for actually teaching how to shoot accurately. Not sure how I can remedy that on a gun range with fixed positions at the 15 yard and 30 yard points. They had other longer targets, I think, as well.

I have things that I have to do today, but may go to On Target on Thursday and try some indoor shooting there. Just depends on how mom is doing. I like to be available to her as much as possible.

Kinbote

Aug 17, 2010
    There's nothing wrong with shooting at 15 yds or 30 yds. If you are on paper at 15 yds, just work on shrinking your groups, then going out to 30.

Ayoob has some good books, but they are fairly old, 20-30 years old now. I don't know if he has changed his instruction, but some of his techniques, such as the "crush grip" and the Weaver stance, are no longer considered best practices. You might want to get Andy Stanford's book, Surgical Speed Shooting, even though you don't plan to be a speed shooter, because there are a great many pictures and the directions are clear and concise. He advocates the Isosceles and relaxed shoulders/arms. He does focus more on autos than revolvers, so it might not be as useful to you.

The Modern Technique of the Pistol is very good if you want to use the Weaver stance. It was written by one of Jeff Cooper's acolytes but is Cooper's encyclical. It also has a fair number of pictures, and has a good section on drawing the weapon, should you wish to carry.

Brian Enos has a very interesting book on competition mindset. HE also focuses more on speed and competition, but much of his book is relevant to general shooting and target shooting.

For best results, you could do some light weight training and improve your grip and arm strength. This will help you in holding on the target and increase your endurance at the range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom