• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MdPrep

Tactically Tactless
    Sep 24, 2014
    Anyone have experience with this handgun and what would be your pro's vs. con's?

Marauder

Revolver Addict
    Dec 14, 2010
    They make two models a 340PD and a M&P340. The 340PD has a Titanium cylinder, total weight of 11.4oz.
    The M&P340 has a Stainless Steel cylinder, total weight of 13.3oz. Both guns are chambered in .357Magnum
    and will hurt your hand.. :D Often you can find them used at a good price, new the PD is $1000.00, the M&P
    is about $850.00. Basically they are light weight carry guns, if that is what you are looking for you can't go
    wrong with a Smith.

MdPrep

Tactically Tactless
    Sep 24, 2014
    They make two models a 340PD and a M&P340. The 340PD has a Titanium cylinder, total weight of 11.4oz.
    The M&P340 has a Stainless Steel cylinder, total weight of 13.3oz. Both guns are chambered in .357Magnum
    and will hurt your hand.. :D Often you can find them used at a good price, new the PD is $1000.00, the M&P
    is about $850.00. Basically they are light weight carry guns, if that is what you are looking for you can't go
    wrong with a Smith.

Thanks, Marauder. I'm leaning towards the M&P model personally. Don't like the bite, but like the compact size of the pistol. Maybe .38 defensive loads would be better in a revolver this size?

Marauder

Revolver Addict
    Dec 14, 2010
    Thanks, Marauder. I'm leaning towards the M&P model personally. Don't like the bite, but like the compact size of the pistol. Maybe .38 defensive loads would be better in a revolver this size?

That is what most people do, shoot a good .38spl+p
    You might want to look at a model 442, same set up as a M&P 340 but half the cost.
    I have a 642, it's a nice pocket gun. Surprisingly it shoots very well for a small gun.
    Good luck with your choice.

Ironnewt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2012
    Harford County

For what it's worth, the standard .38 police load, a 158 gr LSWCHP in .38 Spl+P is a great stopper.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I've shot the 442/642 and 340

Besides bragging rights you won't seriously notice any difference.

I have a 442 and a 637 great guns......the scandium frames aren't worth the extra cash. IMHO

My good buddy and art ER has the 340PD and Governor.......governor note to self don't buy 3 inch 410 shells.

pilotguy299

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2010
    FredNeck County, MD
    Buds has the no-lock 642 for around $381, or $340 for "qualified professionals":

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...3/S&W+M642+5RD+38SP++P+1.87"+No+Internal+Lock

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...ucts_id/411555094/S&W+642+38Spl+1+78"+No+Lock

One of the reviews is poor, but the 642s I've handled all had a decent trigger pull. Add the Apex J-Frame trigger kit for $40, and you'll have a really nice bug!

https://apextactical.com/store/product-info.php?pid49.html

As to your question on the 340, I think that the pros are the light weight for carrying, the night sight, and being able to shoot .357. The cons are the light weight while shooting, and the cost. The 642 weighs a couple of ounces more, and costs a lot less, but only fires .38 and does not have night sights.

Clem

Mar 19, 2007
    Southern MD
    There are a few issues with the 340: they are very light, so recoil can be exciting; the factory grips were much too small for me and didn’t help control recoil. Pachmayr Gripper grips made a world of difference. And the point of impact wasn’t even close to the sights. Mine was about 6” low at 7 yds (not a big deal) but it was also about 6” right. I sent it to a smith and had a dovetailed front sight installed. I then used a sight pusher and got the gun nicely sighted in. It shoots well and has a very nice trigger, but I consider an aluminum gun, with or without a titanium cylinder, to have lower durability compared to a steel gun, so I also have a 640 that I use for practice. Since I can’t get a CCW in MD, I don’t use them too much at the moment, but that is what I have them for. I expect to shoot a reduced recoil .357 load or a 38+P load in them for carry.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    That is what most people do, shoot a good .38spl+p
    You might want to look at a model 442, same set up as a M&P 340 but half the cost.
    I have a 642, it's a nice pocket gun. Surprisingly it shoots very well for a small gun.
    Good luck with your choice.

That's what I recommend: 442 or 642 for half the price. Most people with the S&W lightweight .357 models end up shooting .38 Special out them anyway once they find out how brutal recoil is with .357 ammo and the factory grips (can feel like you broke your hand). I have the 442 and 642. Both are nice. Buy whichever is easier to get or less money. Go with 442 for CCW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom