• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ForwardAssist

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
    May 17, 2009
    This guys states that the 500 is not the most powerfull production handgun. He states that the 460XVR is by approx 300+ ft lbs of muzzle energy.

Is the guy correct? S&W's site bills the 500 as the most powerfull.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g67jwv5bTDQ

I'm considering purchasing one, but I think I'd still prefer the .50 for it's calibre.

On the other hand, the 460 can fire .460's, 454 Casull, and 45 Long Colt.

Slimjim

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    Get the .460. Caliber interchangability, and its effective at longer ranges. 6 inch of less groups at 200 yards are acheiveable.

BRONZ

Big Brother is Watching
    Jan 21, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    I dont know the answer to your question. I do know there is an RSO at HAP that shoots his 500. He likes it but it felt like my teeth were going to fall out the last time I shot next to him.

jjboxman

Nov 18, 2008
    Pa & Md
    S&W 500 data
    350 GR. HDY XTP Hodgdon Lil'Gun 42.0 grains powder max load, 1912 fps

460 S&W mag
    360 GR. CPB WLN GC Hodgdon Lil'Gun 40.0 Grains powder max load 1882 fps

Very similar. I own the 500 and love it.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Yes, in top loadings the 460 does in fact have more muzzle energy than the 500, and due to a larger case volume can simply hold more powder, . The total water volume(case web to case mouth) of a 500S&W case is 4.6cc, a 460case is about 5.7cc, both have a max SAAMI pressure spec of 65,000psi. For comparison, this is about the same pressure spec as the Rem Ultramag and Win mag families of rifle cartridges. Both calibers are capable of gigantic energy figures if loaded to their potential, which few ammo makers do.

If you look at the loads buffalo bore produes for both you can see the difference in energy. Some other manufacturers like cor-bon wimp out on 460 loads, and/or 500S&W loads making them hard to compare. However to keep in mind how ridiculous these energy figures are out of a handgun, 123gr yugo 7.62X39 produces about 1500FPE and 150gr 30-06 M2 ball produces about 2600FPE.
    500S&W
    400gr 1,675fps/M.E.2491 ft.lbs/670PF
    440gr 1,625fps/M.E.2579 ft.lbs/715PF
    460S&W
    300gr 2,060fps/M.E. 2,826 ft.lbs/618PF
    360gr 1,900fps/M.E. 2,860 ft.lbs/684PF

but if measured in Power factor, or by momentum, the heavier bullets fired by the 500 give it the edge, being there are bullets up to 700gr available for it, and only up to about 450gr for the 460.

The 460 is also much cheaper to shoot and handload for, being there are a ton of jacketed and cast bullets available for 45ACP, 45 colt, 454 Casull, where 50cal bullets were used mostly for the much rarer 500 Linnebaugh, 500 Wyoming express and the 50AE desert eagle, are much harder to find, and a lot more expenive. The 460 also uses a unique forcing cone and chamber shape with gain twist rifling that supposedly make it very accurate with the much shorter 45colt and 454 casull loads despite the huge freebore length. IMO, the 500S&W gets most of the drool, but the 460S&W is the much more practical and useful platform while actually being just as powerful if not a little more so.

Slimjim

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    I dont know the answer to your question. I do know there is an RSO at HAP that shoots his 500. He likes it but it felt like my teeth were going to fall out the last time I shot next to him.

The RSO's all have .460's to my knowledge.

ForwardAssist

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
    May 17, 2009
    Thanks for the well thought out replies everyone!

I have to try one of these out sometime soon. Got the itch to buy one.

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    I had the opportunity to shoot a 500 with 8.75 barrel a couple weeks ago. Makes me want one also. Recoil was less than I expected. Better than a Dessert Eagle .50 I thought but, I didnt shoot them the same day. Still substantial though. The weight of the barrel and the built in break helped a lot. I think I would go with the 460 for flexibility in cartridge.

Deapsee

NaN
    May 1, 2009
    Calvert
    S&W 460 XVR

I have one and enjoy shooting it when I can. The main selling point of the 460 over the 500, other than you can buy one in California (The state not the town) is the speed of the bullet. With the larger case and the smaller bullet the speed goes up therefore the impact energy goes up and sustains energy at longer than typical handgun ranges (100-250 yds?). I am still working my way out to 50 yds.

Ammo is expensive and hard to find. I had one of the kids at the Tacklebox tell me he had never even heard of a 460 S&W. Generally Freds always has 460 and sometimes MSAR. Cabelas has a bulk deal 200 rds for ~ $1.20 per round. Of course 454 and 45 are everywhere (but Wamart).

The recoil is as mild as everyone says, the 45 LC is almost on par with a 32 semi. The weight (5#) and the large compensator work well to keep the pistol controlled. The blast of the full size 460 cartridge though! I have had shooters claim to feel the cylinder flash from the next station. The blast is louder than most rifles. Wear double protection.

Slimjim

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    I was thinking about the 4" 500, anyone ever see one or shoot one?

They also have a 3" Bear Survival kit 500 that has no muzzle break. It must be abusive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23jKU6DN_7w

If you're serious about shooting the big calibers at the minimum id get the 5 inch barrel XVR and i believe theres a 6.5 .500. Anything shorter lacks the barrel length for velocity. Even these two shorter lengths are pushing it. Now if you just want it for fun, get the shorter lengths, but you are not taking full advantage of the cartridges power running a shorter barrel.

ForwardAssist

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
    May 17, 2009
    I'll never hunt with it. I just want to go to the range and have fun with it. I'm leaning towards the 4", or maybe even the bear kit.

I noticed on the youtube video that the uncomped bear kit model blows the coolest looking blue rings of fire about 8 feet from the muzzle.

Slimjim

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    I'll never hunt with it. I just want to go to the range and have fun with it. I'm leaning towards the 4", or maybe even the bear kit.

I noticed on the youtube video that the uncomped bear kit model blows the coolest looking blue rings of fire about 8 feet from the muzzle.

A 2 inch .500 is akin to shooting really expensive .454 casull. Because thats at what level the energy is going to be at. Going from the 8 3/8th barrel you lose about 200 FPS from the round, so going from 8 3/8 to 2.5 you are gonna lose around 400 FPS.

So, looking at the velocity of the magtech 325 grain loads:
    Muzzle Velocity: 1801 fps
    Muzzle Energy: 2341 ft. lbs

Thats going to be comming out at 1401 FPS. And the ballistics calculator im useing shows 1416 Ft lbs of energy.

Im not saying dont get the snub nose as a range toy, but just realize how much it weakens the .500 S&W. Compared with how hard snub noses are to shoot. Also, IT wont properly stabilize the super heavy loads. like the 6-700 grain loadings, or even some of the 500 area ones.

The .460's and .500 are big rounds made for a Big gun with a long barrel, and thats what they were designed with in mind. The 6.5 inch .500 is very very cool looking, and i consider the 4 inch to be the minimum barrel to use with this round. the 6.5 is a very good compromise of length and velocity if you want a shorter .500, it doesnt completely neuter the cartridge and its not super long.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I can second what slimjim says. I can't see taking a firebreather and throwing water on it in the form of a short barrel.

Taking into consideration the size of the frame and the barrel length, one could do just as well with a 5" 454. Velocity would be up in a comparable sized/weight package. For a trail gun, I have no problem with even a 6" tube.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    A little bit of thread drift here, but pertinent.....

Where would one find the appropriate cleaning gear for such a beast? Midway doesn't seem to list any pistol specific products.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    A little bit of thread drift here, but pertinent.....

Where would one find the appropriate cleaning gear for such a beast? Midway doesn't seem to list any pistol specific products.

50 cal pistols are nothing new, look in the muzzleloader section for 50 cal jags and brushes if you can't find one for a rifle or pistol, then use a shotgun patch tool with a pistol rod. Use lead cleaning cloths for the surfaces (pulls carbon righ off of the front of the cylinde without abrasives) and wipe out if it gets really dirty with jacketed bullets. For lead bullets and chambers, a 20ga brush works well and fits tight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom