Smart meters - Heads up! Middle River, Md.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LCPIWB

Needs an avatar
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 17, 2011
    Underneath the blimp, Md.
    Heads up.
    I live in Bay Country community of Middle River (more like Chase though).
    A contractor for Corix was making the rounds installing smart meters. Looks like they will be installing without your consent if you are not at home, or did not already state your objections to the smart meter program.

The contractor was kind enough, and I am sure he did not want a confrontation. he said he would put it in the system, but I should call BGE to follow up.

I called BGE to follow up and was instructed to provide the following to opt out.
    email to smartmeterdeferral@bge.com
    Account Number:
    Address:
    Name:
    Contact Number:
    Email address.

Good luck. Opt out before it is too late.

Ganegrei

Comblock Convert
    Jun 23, 2011
    Somewhere in BoCo
    What's wrong with having a smart meter? I have one on my house, just means the meter reader isn't snooping around.

I heard that the meter broadcasts a mind control signal that forces you to commit adultery... :cool:

But actually the objections to the meter are that they let BGE know exactly how much juice you are using on a minute by minute basis. There was also some mostly nonsensical reports of the new meters causing fires.

Johnthetoolguy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2009
    Pasadena
    Over here in Pasadena, they installed them before there was an option to opt out.
    There have been cases (though I do not know anyone personally) where the so called smart meter has cased a house fire. More than once.
    Also, a couple weeks ago, I read that BGE is trying to add charges ($50) to your bill if you do opt out. I guess that's their 'fine' that the state may approve of.

marte616

God bless America...
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 15, 2008
    Occupied Territory
    Smart

What's wrong with having a smart meter? I have one on my house, just means the meter reader isn't snooping around.

The issue is that in some states, power companies can physically cut off juice to your home during high-consumption hours or simply charge you more for being "bad" and using home appliances during peak hours.

Do we really need yet another commercial entity monitoring everything you do at home.

http://www.stopsmartmetersnow.com/?page_id=2

namrelio

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2013
    Frederick Co. Virginia
    I have been on a deferred list to opt out for awhile now. Just to make sure, I put a sign on the meter to not change it out, and signed it. I think that will stop them if your not home.
    I have heard a few bad things about smart meters. I'd rather pay a little extra for awhile and see if others have any problems.:innocent0

Over here in Pasadena, they installed them before there was an option to opt out.
    There have been cases (though I do not know anyone personally) where the so called smart meter has cased a house fire. More than once.
    Also, a couple weeks ago, I read that BGE is trying to add charges ($50) to your bill if you do opt out. I guess that's their 'fine' that the state may approve of.

I have one (Gambrills) that was installed by previous owner,I've never had them cut my power or read my mind (I think).The only thing that reminds me,is the periodic letter letting me know the peak times of usage,which I already know is when we're home.:sad20:

mdsbrain

Nov 16, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    We have one (Bowie) for a few months now and it has allowed me to monitor my energy usage and reduce my electricity bill. I can watch my usage hour by hour and learned what was running and that I could shut it off and save me more $.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    The first month after they installed mine i received a $3,000.00 GAS & Electric bill. It was over 100 times the amount of GAS that I normally use. They finally got my bill corrected, but I could not believe that did NOT send red flags of gas leaks to somebody? With that much gas coming through the meter my entire house would be FULL!

Ungermc

Uses Gun-oil Aftershave
    If you go to the BGE website under Smart Meters and click the 'Opt-Out' link, this is what you get...I'm sure there are no shenanigans going on here?!? :innocent0

Attachments

• BGE_Opt_Out.jpg
      BGE_Opt_Out.jpg
      41.8 KB · Views: 328

Ungermc

Uses Gun-oil Aftershave
    After some digging, BGE's procedure for Opt out is as follows:

BGE customers who wish to defer installation, or customer requesting removal of meters already installed, should provide the following information via letter or email:

Name(s)
    Address
    Account Number
    Phone Number
    Email Address
    Email deferral requests to smartmeterdeferral@bge.com.

Letters should be sent to:
    Smart Meter Deferral BGE P.O. Box 1475 Baltimore, MD 21203

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    I heard $100 up front, and then $15 a month.

The Public Service Commision is supposed to rule soon on whether they will allow and fees for opting out.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll

Research the radio power output of the meters, especially the collection meter. Then research what power level constitutes high carcinogenic risk, especially if you spend a lot of time on the other side of the wall (God forbid it's kids). Also research what levels create a high risk of chronic fatigue, headaches, nausea, etc. Those effects are not psychosomatic.

FFMike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2010
    Howard County
    Trendy techo advances i guess. My concern was not of fire or other risks, but one of damages to my electronics in the house.

If they are installing these if nobody is home, and they pull and replace there has to be some risk of a surge frying stuff in the home.

Now we have one installed but get this, we were never called or mailed a timeline for installation. All we ever got was an insert in a bill saying they were coming and we would be contacted to coordinate the installation.

Now let me preface the next part with we had several B&E's in the area when the time frame for installation was to occur.

So one day I am home, sound asleep and am awakened by a ring of the door bell and a loud knock on the front door. I come to the peep hole in time to see a tall African American male in work clothes walk from my door around the far side of the house. A P/U truck is out front but I can not see it fully as it is obstructed by a large tree in my yard.

I see him walk back around to the other side of the house and disappear.

I quickly grab a jacket and my 1911 tucked inside the waist of my jeans and walk around where I last saw him head, cellphone in hand with 911 pre dialed...

I also called the neighbor who was home that is a police officer. He met me out front and we confronted this guy.

He was there to install the meter. I asked for an ID (which he was not wearing as BGE said they would be) and told him to wait while I unplugged a few items in the house.

I called BGE and expressed my concerns and was quickly apologized too. After explaining to the Supervisor that there was no ID displayed and my neighbor had just fallen asleep after a busy midnight shift. I expressed my concern for the homeowner that may confront these contractors as well as the safety for the contractor as well.

Now don't flame me as mine was never displayed, my neighbor on the other hand came over badge around neck and Glock 22 in hand! This guy looked like he was ready to cut a turd the size of the bay bridge when he saw the firearm!

DD55

Sep 22, 2013
    Anne Arundel
    When bge installed my smart meter they swapped the serial number with my neighbors. It took 8 months to figure out why my electric bill had risen to triple the kilowatt hours. I think the neighbor was running the heat with the windows open all winter long because the more they used electric the more we tried to conserve because our bill just kept going up which made there bill go down ( not there fault because they didn't know either). Once we figured it out and told bge it took a month to have some one come out and verify it was switched and another month and a half to get a refund for the extra money we paid, but at least we got a refund

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom