• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Adams74Chevy

Hits broadsides of barns
    Oct 3, 2007
    Carroll Co.
    Growing up I was under the assumption that slings were for carring your rifle on your shoulder. So after joining here and a few other webforums I have come to see that they can help with steading the rifle for shooting off-hand. What I haven't seen is clear pictures showing how exactly to do that. I have been tinkering with my slung (or would it be slinged) rifles to try and figure it out w/o noing if I am on to something or not. Also as a secondary question I see a plethora of AR slings for sale but all the picks seem to be of a sling just laying there no AR attached or hanging from a person to give a clear idea of how they are rigged. Any info to clear the muddy waters of my mind would be appreciated.

SoMDGuy

Threadkiller Supreme
    Apr 26, 2008
    A correction, the sling isn't useful if you're shooting offhand, it's for positions where the weak-side elbow is supported, ie, prone, at a bench, etc.

Scare up a copy of Jeff Cooper's "Art of the Rifle", it covers stabilized shooting rather well.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    A correction, the sling isn't useful if you're shooting offhand, it's for positions where the weak-side elbow is supported, ie, prone, at a bench, etc...
    I'd agree that without the sling securing the upper arm-wrist/hand and using support under the support elbow that a sling's usefulness is largely negated, but the Hasty Sling position still provides a small amount of added stabilization through muscle tension.

Adams74Chevy

Hits broadsides of barns
    Oct 3, 2007
    Carroll Co.
    A correction, the sling isn't useful if you're shooting offhand, it's for positions where the weak-side elbow is supported, ie, prone, at a bench, etc.

Scare up a copy of Jeff Cooper's "Art of the Rifle", it covers stabilized shooting rather well.

I'll have to look for that as well.

mdjamesd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    Towson
    I have this one on my 308 http://www.tacticalintervention.com/quickcuffslingmodelone.html

and this one on my AR
    http://www.vikingtactics.com/prod_sling_VTAC-MK1-a.html#

The quick cuff sling is great for someone that barely shoots while standing, it basically takes the weight off your arms, and puts it all on your skeletal system.

The Viking tactics sling is nice because it is not only used for support while standing, but is easily adjustable so your rifle doesn't bounce around on your back while walking through the woods.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom