• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bronco94

Mar 27, 2009
    Bel Air/College Park
    Hey all,

I took my SKS out today for the first time and i was having some troubles with the firing pin. The pin would not strike the round deep enough to fire on the first shot. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't, so I'm wondering if this is correct:

5816_793100029078_5741159_45507051_5643193_n.jpg

This is a picture of the bolt, with the firing pin slid as far back as it will go. I didn't force it back or anything, this is just its natural position.

I know the pin is supposed to be free floating, but I don't think it should slide this far back. (though I'm not positive, that's why I ask)

The pin slides freely in the bolt so it's not getting hung up on any grime but I'm wondering if the pin is messed up because it slides so far back.

Thanks for the help everyone,

Dan

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Absolutely NOT!!!! DO NOT try to fire that sucker again....

The firing pin should only protrude about 1/4" from the back of the bolt. It is inserted into the bolt incorrectly, with the wrong side (the correct side is the one with the ridge on one flat) facing the retaining pin.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Let us know how it goes. Also - remember that the SKS firing pin & firing pin channel should be assembled "dry" - I just give mine a shot of CLP, then wipe off with a rag, leaving just a molecule-thick protective layer. I clean the FP channel out with Q-tips and CLP and dry, likewise.

Otherwise, oil/grease in the FP channel can attract dirt and powder residue, and eventually gum up the firing pin, possibly leading to a "slamfire" - a bad thing.

One last thing, make sure the firing pin rattles loosely, and never sticks in the protruded position. A certain small percentage of them do, and this can cause slamfires. If it does, try meticulous cleaning again, if that doesn't help, try a new firing pin - or even better, a replacement spring-loaded firing pin from Murray's: http://www.murraysguns.com/sksown.htm

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    See, I never did understand why people felt the need to buy aftermarket spring-loaded firing pin assemblies, when you can just buy an SKS that came with it from the factory. ;)

russian8.jpg

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    +1... Tradeja my Yugo for it, you never know when that grenade launcher will come in handy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom