• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Hoping a member has a skid steer and lives local enough to me

I need to dig out an area in front of my old shop to put gravel in. Currently has a thin layer of asphalt over part and grass on the other. Total area about 24x70. One end is at grade with the shop and will need to come down about 8". The other probably just needs a scraping. I can dispose of the asphalt at the landfill and have a dump spot immediately adjacent for the dirt.

My preference is someone with experience who I can work with. I'm plenty able, just never run a skid loader before and don't want to rent one and waste my money.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Albert,

I would call David Bentley again. If my skidder wasn't needing repairs, I would do it for you. Also, make sure to call Balto County to see if they would allow you to dispose of asphalt at Day's Cove Road. You might have to go to the Honeygo Reclamation place on Philadelphia Rd by Cowenton. Pretty sure they will charge you by the ton at Days Cove. My sad experience was with one heavy load of construction debris I had to dump, my Halethorpe location would not let me dump and sent me to White Marsh. It was there that I found out that they prohibited me from going to the dumpsters and made me go back to the "land fill part" after weighing me. Pretty sure my cost was over $100 which sucked when I could have rented a dumpster and disposed of 5x that much debris for $300-$400 ish.

Balto Co, is also limiting our number of trips to 6 free trips per year.
    PAY a shid ton in taxes and this is the BS we get. I am struggling with this at my fiancee's house when it comes to brush cleanup. I almost want to buy a chipper to make the volume of brush into small chips which will give me more efficient manner of waste disposal, given that Balto Co is now F'ng us on landfill trips.

One other, tidbit, they do offer some kind of "permission" to dump certain refuse if you contact them.

1708960759285.png

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Albert,

I would call David Bentley again. If my skidder wasn't needing repairs, I would do it for you. Also, make sure to call Balto County to see if they would allow you to dispose of asphalt at Day's Cove Road. You might have to go to the Honeygo Reclamation place on Philadelphia Rd by Cowenton. Pretty sure they will charge you by the ton at Days Cove. My sad experience was with one heavy load of construction debris I had to dump, my Halethorpe location would not let me dump and sent me to White Marsh. It was there that I found out that they prohibited me from going to the dumpsters and made me go back to the "land fill part" after weighing me. Pretty sure my cost was over $100 which sucked when I could have rented a dumpster and disposed of 5x that much debris for $300-$400 ish.

Balto Co, is also limiting our number of trips to 6 free trips per year.
    PAY a shid ton in taxes and this is the BS we get. I am struggling with this at my fiancee's house when it comes to brush cleanup. I almost want to buy a chipper to make the volume of brush into small chips which will give me more efficient manner of waste disposal, given that Balto Co is now F'ng us on landfill trips.

One other, tidbit, they do offer some kind of "permission" to dump certain refuse if you contact them.

View attachment 456776
    Texted David, waiting on a reply. We discussed it when he was here last year.

I know the refuse disposal process really well and already have a pass to dump the asphalt

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I know they track it. But I've never seen a limit. You can only get 10 disposal authorizations a year I know that. I've run in to that one year rebuilding the house

The costs and general headaches of dealing with bureaucracy is why I have done as much burning in a barrel/ old steel bathtub burn pit as possible for my Carroll and Baltimore County refuse disposal.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    The costs and general headaches of dealing with bureaucracy is why I have done as much burning in a barrel/ old steel bathtub burn pit as possible for my Carroll and Baltimore County refuse disposal.
    What's wild is they'll take almost anything at the curb, just don't make the cans too heavy or make it obvious construction stuff. Every time I do a storage locker most all the trash just goes out with my normal stuff. No issue.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Yep, just not too heavy, but I sometimes wind up still getting them leaving a load and having me scratch my head.

I also have the issue of needing to clean out my dad's house in Towson as well as my fiancee's house in Arbutus area.
    That thing about the 6 trips per year trips me up.

I even asked, what if my dad is elderly and can no longer drive, so he relies on me and my truck to haul for him.
    If they log in my truck/my license etc, this effectively gives me 3 trips per house instead of 12 trips permitted for a 6 per year x 2 houses.

It sucks because I need to renovate his bath and kitchen in a row house and there is literally 0 room for dumpster.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    My plan is to go corner to corner at the low end of the area with railroad ties. Scrape back the asphalt and just fill it up. But at the other end of the area you can see the grade meets the garage so it needs to be dug down about 8". Looks like shit now and I'm tired of it being an ugly mud hole
    20240227_173147.jpg
    20240227_173220.jpg

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    My plan is to go corner to corner at the low end of the area with railroad ties. Scrape back the asphalt and just fill it up. But at the other end of the area you can see the grade meets the garage so it needs to be dug down about 8". Looks like shit now and I'm tired of it being an ugly mud hole View attachment 457131 View attachment 457132
    I highly suggest putting in a landscape drain at the low spot between the two corners before you start building it up. otherwise, you'll just be spreading the water problem larger. Cost maybe a couple hundred max.

The natural slope appears to going in the direction of that gully to the right of the first pic. Best to figure how to let the water flow where it wants.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I highly suggest putting in a landscape drain at the low spot between the two corners before you start building it up. otherwise, you'll just be spreading the water problem larger. Cost maybe a couple hundred max.

The natural slope appears to going in the direction of that gully to the right of the first pic. Best to figure how to let the water flow where it wants.
    Right, it will need to be drained. All flows to the photographed corner. Just be a little digging and some pipe

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Bertfish, I am seeing that apparently you and Dave B haven't worked out doing this work, so I can check with a buddy of mine in Perry Hall and get back to you.
    Over the years, he has borrowed a machine to do grading work at his place, and he has used contacts he knows who did digging, paving, landscaping for him too. I will attest for the results too. Every time I go to his place, I am jealous of how nice it looks and how nice he redone/new driveway turned out.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Bertfish, I am seeing that apparently you and Dave B haven't worked out doing this work, so I can check with a buddy of mine in Perry Hall and get back to you.
    Over the years, he has borrowed a machine to do grading work at his place, and he has used contacts he knows who did digging, paving, landscaping for him too. I will attest for the results too. Every time I go to his place, I am jealous of how nice it looks and how nice he redone/new driveway turned out.
    I emailed him and he responded but nothing further. I expect he is just busy

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom