• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Just wanted to touch on this very briefly. Please keep in mind that MSI has not set ANY dates for ANY of this. All of the dates are by those posting in this thread. The most that Dan has mentioned is regarding action by the next GA.

Understood, I didn't mean to make it seem like I thought MSI had anything to with the dates. This thread wasn't started by or related to MSI in the beginning to my knowledge.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Maybe the reply was in haste. No doubt that contributors or public should have expectation that every communication is made public. It came out a communication to the Governor was sent. Most likely an unremarkable letter at best. It was the reply to the request to be made available that was a bit sketchy. Organizations writing to politicians typically have no problem sharing, and in fact are apt to do so to show they are doing something. Probably in the bottom of a bird cage long ago.
    Consider that the only win this session that MD pro-2A forces could conceivably claim credit for was deliberately done with very little fanfare. It may be that the new governor would like to deal with 2A issues quietly, and that MSI's leadership is wisely complying with that preference.

As long as MSI is making progress and racking up some wins in a timely fashion, I'm not going to question exactly how they do it. Progressing from "fighting loud" to "fighting smart" would be a tremendous improvement for us.

navycraig

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2009
    St. Mary's
    No it was not, as is most internal MSI business. And no, it will not be shared, as with most MSI internal business. The letter will be treated as any communication between MSI and any other organization public or private.

Sorry to come across as short and secretive on this, but MSI has not and will not share any correspondence with other organizations or individuals.

I can certainly understand keeping sensitive documents close hold, but as you stated, it was a letter of congratulations and a request to meet. That's pretty basic stuff, that, if shared with membership could help to tone down some of the ranting. Now, if there was more to it than that, you did not state so.

What the what???

Does no one here have business experience? Do you announce to the world and your competitors every strategic move you're about to make?

A letter of congratulations and a request for a meeting is not a strategic document.

WTF is your problem? You really like jerking it all over the place here, don't you?

------

As for MSI membership, ANYONE can become a member, just like ANYONE can become a member of the NRA. There's no 2A litmus test required to become a general or sustaining member. NRA membership doesn't know everything the NRA board does. Where's the 5 million members complaining about that?

If you don't like how it works, become a MSI board member or start your own group.

I'd rather MSI extend an olive branch to the administration rather than sending an open letter and pressing the issue into the public eye-- which is exactly what releasing a letter to the membership would be. No one signs NDAs to become a member, so it'd end up in the media pretty quickly.

if the administration becomes apathetic or hostile, that changes everything. Then perhaps an open letter would be more appropriate, among other things.

I would not say hostile, but apathetic is not a far stretch by the way things seem to be going.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Opaqueness is counter productive. When any organization is soliciting for funds, then comes across espousing "internal business" as a communication to the Governor, alrighty then.. I have no clue if said letter would be covered under FOIA.

MSI requested a meeting, but it doesn't sound as the the Governor obliged - at least not yet. So MSI says they sent a letter. Is it necessary for every MSI member, or MDS member to see the precise words, or to publicize them here so anti's can paint us a bunch of gun nuts, or so the media can paint Hogan out of context as going back on his "no repeal" promise? I don't think so.

BTW, on the opaqueness issue, most of the visitors to the Liar-in-Chief, or even OweMalley while he was writing SB281, are really transparent when they sign the guest book :rolleyes: Just not so much about the discussions behind closed doors.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    May I ask (and this is meant politely, to be clear) why not? I can understand not wanting to share the wording of the letter or whatever, I suppose, but for those of us who are members and who have given money to the organization, it's really, really gratifying to know what's being done with our dollars. Why wouldn't MSI communicate to it's membership that these letters had been sent?

Because something as simple as "MSi has sent a letter to the Superintendent and the Governor." would get more questions about what the letters said, what the content was, etc. It was a letter from the President of an organization to the MSP Superintendent as well as another one to the Governor. If we posted every time we sent a letter and to whom we sent it, MSI would lose some credibility working with those individuals and organizations, that may otherwise, not want it known that they are working with us.

Don't get me wrong - I have supported MSI in the past, I support MSI now, and I will continue to support MSI in the future, but I definitely think that there are times when more communication to the membership would be helpful.

We agree that more communications is necessary, and MSI is working on that, but corporate communications will never be made public. Nor will the every meeting and call that I or any other officer or board of director has or makes. For one, I would spend more time noting who I talked to and what about during the legislative session than I would working on legislation and testifying, sorry, telling the world everything we do is not what I signed on for.

Of course, it could just be that I'm doing something wrong somewhere, but I've paid membership dues to MSI on several occasions, as well as making extra donations on several more, and I never got communications from MSI on what was going on other than what I found here on the forum.

Why aren't you signed up for our mailing list?

If these letters were sent as part of the effort to get some movement on administratively addressing the G&S thing, why wouldn't MSI at least put a blurb on the site saying so?

As i stated above, to what detail? "Hi guys, we sent a letter to the Governor and the Superintendent." Then what, spend countless days and hours answering the constant barrage of, "have you gotten a reply yet?" e-mails, letters and phone calls?

Can you elaborate on the reasoning for this?

I know MSI is a relatively small institution and can't be everywhere doing everything at once, so please don't take this as that kind of criticism. I'm just curious.

Thanks!

Name one corporation (for profit or non profit) that makes every single thing they do public to their members (shareholders).

If members want to know what happens at the upper levels then become involved, become an officer or a board member, or even a member of one of the committees.

Yes, this is a membership organization, but the officers run the day to day operations based on the guidance of the BoD.

Any other questions feel free to PM me.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Agreed. However I do think that the fact that a letter is being sent is an important thing to share with the membership.

Great, then every time MSI send out a letter or e-mail to an individual or organization, we send out an update to the member ship.

It will simply read "MSI has sent a letter to the Superintendent of MSP."

Or "MSI has sent a letter to NRA, MSRPA, AGC, MLFDA regarding the HQL."

What then?

How many e-mails would that generate that we would then have to take the time to respond to?

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I'd say most people are interesting in seeing the money put to good use, and, maybe from time to time some actual results. One doesn't been to be a BOD member to get that reassurance I wouldn't think.

If you know of anyone that guarantee results in the state of Maryland with regards to anything 2A, then by all means have them call me and they can have my job and run the organization in such a way as to guarantee results.

We don't guarantee anything with regards to results, because if we did, we would be lying. If you want an organization to make you feel all warm and fuzzy because the guarantee you results, then MSI isn't for you and perhaps you should either find another organization that will make that guarantee, or start your own so you can make that guarantee.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    If you know of anyone that guarantee results in the state of Maryland with regards to anything 2A, then by all means have them call me and they can have my job and run the organization in such a way as to guarantee results.

We don't guarantee anything with regards to results, because if we did, we would be lying. If you want an organization to make you feel all warm and fuzzy because the guarantee you results, then MSI isn't for you and perhaps you should either find another organization that will make that guarantee, or start your own so you can make that guarantee.

It seems that someone struck a nerve here. WOW!

Calm down - you sound like you're on the way to apoplexy. :sad20:

Or even better, put in some range time.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Now, you've said "guarantee" 5 times to my zero.

Not sure why.

That's just how I read it.....

Results = 2 Pro 2A/hunting bills passed, 1 semi-pro 2A bill passed in 2015.

Results = 0 anti 2A bills passed in 2015.

Results = Kolbe case taken to the 4th circuit.

Results = semi-successful 2nd annual legislative day (2A Tuesday)

Results = 2 "gun bill" hearing days in the same week with a great turnout of citizens to testify on fact and not rights.

There you go, I've said "results" 5 times to your 1. :D

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Not focused at anyone, but this isn't the first thread that started out on a subject and then turned to "MSI should do X" and then turned into a discussion about why MSI is or isn't doing something.

MSI is the sum of it's members, and is able to do as much as it's members are actively able to do. If you are a member of MSI and aren't donating any of your time to help in the effort, and then ask, "why isn't MSI doing X?" then perhaps you should look in the mirror as an answer.

I'm not trying to be critical of anyone, just stating what I and others see as our perception.

NOW - Can we get back on the subject of Sine Die????

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Hey, I frankly love all the healthy debate, and as you all know I have been pretty vocal about my expectations from our elected and appointed executives, but do we really need to expend so much energy on eating our own?

We all have different ideas, and strategies. Some of us are implementing personal strategies. Some are supporting organizational strategies. I am doing both. Some are trying to organize and orchestrate otherwise individual efforts without a formal organization or affiliation. It's all good. There is no right or wrong. Hopefully we don't let our frustrations cause us to forget we are all the good guys.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    It seems that someone struck a nerve here. WOW!

Calm down - you sound like you're on the way to apoplexy. :sad20:

Or even better, put in some range time.

I would if I had the time, and I weren't so busy telling everyone very little thing MSI is doing. :D

In all seriousness, I need to get my ass to the range, I can count on one hand the number of times I have been this year and have 4 fingers left over.

And my Secretary should be along soon to tell me to "eat a Snickers." :D

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    I would if I had the time, and I weren't so busy telling everyone very little thing MSI is doing. :D

In all seriousness, I need to get my ass to the range, I can count on one hand the number of times I have been this year and have 4 fingers left over.

And my Secretary should be along soon to tell me to "eat a Snickers." :D

Dottrio event this weekend, ya know?

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    It's not about or for the membership, it's an top secret letter to the Governors mansion sent by horseback in the wee hours of the morning. :thumbsup:

First, can I say that though your frustration at the state of things in MD is understandable, a lot of your recent posts come across as you being more interested in being a stone thrower than trying to be constructive about anything. Maybe that's not how you mean them, but that's how they come across, and frankly it's getting really, really old. And I'm not even one of the ones who's getting nitpicked.

Because something as simple as "MSi has sent a letter to the Superintendent and the Governor." would get more questions about what the letters said, what the content was, etc. It was a letter from the President of an organization to the MSP Superintendent as well as another one to the Governor.

First off, I need to say thank you for the time and effort that you put in to what you do for MSI, and then for the time you spend explaining things here. Your giving voice to what's going on with MSI is an incredibly valuable thing to many of us, and we probably don't stop often enough to express our appreciation. In my case, you certainly have it.

Now, as to the whole "letter" thing... I do think that more communication from MSI on what efforts are ongoing at a given time would be very well received. Yes, I realize that there are a limited number of you who actually spend time running MSI aside from all of us who lend financial support, but that communication is SO important.

Perhaps I might veer away from "the letter" specifically just to suggest something along the lines of "MSI is reaching out to the Governor and the new Secretary of State Police to address Maryland's handgun permitting scheme," or "MSI has the following active programs at this time: Lawsuit A, Lawsuit B, addressing the Maryland handgun permitting scheme, etc." Just even generalities like that would be helpful.

If we posted every time we sent a letter and to whom we sent it, MSI would lose some credibility working with those individuals and organizations, that may otherwise, not want it known that they are working with us.

Totally fair.

We agree that more communications is necessary, and MSI is working on that, but corporate communications will never be made public. Nor will the every meeting and call that I or any other officer or board of director has or makes. For one, I would spend more time noting who I talked to and what about during the legislative session than I would working on legislation and testifying, sorry, telling the world everything we do is not what I signed on for.

I think that's also fair, and see the second paragraph that I wrote above.

Why aren't you signed up for our mailing list?

Because either:
    A) I'm an idiot and did something wrong somewhere.
    B) Some technical issue. I did check my spam folder and they're not going there. I'll look at getting signed up.

As i stated above, to what detail? "Hi guys, we sent a letter to the Governor and the Superintendent." Then what, spend countless days and hours answering the constant barrage of, "have you gotten a reply yet?" e-mails, letters and phone calls?

Honestly, I was happy to hear that MSI was even doing anything related to the G&S definition (which I hope is what the letter was at least partially designed to address, or at least kickstart the process of having those discussions) because I hadn't seen any news about MSI actively addressing that anywhere.

If members want to know what happens at the upper levels then become involved, become an officer or a board member, or even a member of one of the committees.

That's fair too. Right now life simply won't provide me with time to be more active, but I send money as much as I can.

Any other questions feel free to PM me.

Cool. And thanks again - seriously.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom