• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nikon

Jan 24, 2013
    Agreed. This is good stuff. Unfortunately, it times out and puts up a paywall so I can't get to the article content anymore. Can you post it here?

The anti-gun group run by Vinnie Demarco uses this argument for licensing and bans. The Sun also ran an article a while back claiming the same thing.

I've heard anti-gunners refute Lotts findings. Is that true?

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    I did an initial search in the threads for this , but as a former Masshole, I have to report this:

This article is from the Boston Globe no less ! Looks like banning guns raises crime. (of course the libs blame other states ...)

You should be able to open this without a Boston Globe account.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/...7xHzkwTrBWy4KpkEM/story.html?p1=Well_BG_Links

Gun control is a smokescreen for failed Government. Sometimes it is also an catalyst to that end.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Agreed. This is good stuff. The anti-gun group run by Vinnie Demarco uses this argument for licensing and bans. The Sun also ran an article a while back claiming the same thing.

I've heard anti-gunners refute Lotts findings. Is that true?

Yes and no. Lott is frequently attacked. I have read. At least one hack job at Salon claiming academic fraud. It referenced reason magazine which did indicate that some of his data had gone missing, and could not be recovered. Reason characterized the data as tangential and Salon claimed it was essential or some such language, but the source that they relied ( reason)on contained no such language.. I conclude that the Salon article was a hack job.

I have no idea what the truth is at this point.
    But if he was refuted why the hack job?

I strongly suspect that Lotts work, as a whole, is unrefuted, aside from the minor issues that afflict all social science. Had it been refuted I think it would be front page news for weeks and especially now.

This is only my opinion and I am no expert and I have not done much study of this.

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    Yes and no. Lott is frequently attacked. I have read. At least one hack job at Salon claiming academic fraud. It referenced reason magazine which did indicate that some of his data had gone missing, and could not be recovered. Reason characterized the data as tangential and Salon claimed it was essential or some such language, but the source that they relied ( reason)on contained no such language.. I conclude that the Salon article was a hack job.

I have no idea what the truth is at this point.
    But if he was refuted why the hack job?

I strongly suspect that Lotts work, as a whole, is unrefuted, aside from the minor issues that afflict all social science. Had it been refuted I think it would be front page news for weeks and especially now.

This is only my opinion and I am no expert and I have not done much study of this.

Lott's work is solid; if it weren't, it would have been discredited long ago. All his critics can do is pick nits, most of which are made up.

On the other hand, "Arming America: The Origins of a National Gun Culture is a controversial 2000 book by Michael A. Bellesiles on American gun culture. The book is an expansion of a 1996 Journal of American History article by Bellesiles, and argues that guns were uncommon during peacetime in early America, and that a culture of gun ownership arose only much later. It initially won the prestigious Bancroft Prize, but later became the first book in that prize's history to have its award rescinded. The revocation occurred after Columbia University's Board of Trustees decided that Bellesiles had "violated basic norms of scholarship and the high standards expected of Bancroft Prize winners."[1]" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arming_America

Bellesiles was trying to counter the increasing research that showed the "gun culture" in an historically positive light. He failed. He played fast and loose with his data, even fabricating a great deal of it. At one point, when asked where he got his data on gun ownership in late 19th century California, he claimed he had access to San Francisco city records. The problem with that was the 1908 San Francisco earthquake and fire which essentially destroyed all the municipal records up to that time. Bellesiles was claiming to have seen records that didn't exist.

All Lott and other researchers have to do is tell the truth. Anti-gun culture people like Bellesiles have to lie to maintain their stories.

Nikon

Jan 24, 2013
    GNLaFrance, good reference. I love this part:
    As criticism grew and charges of scholarly misconduct were made, Emory University conducted an internal inquiry into Bellesiles's integrity, appointing an independent investigative committee composed of three leading academic historians from outside Emory.[18] Bellesiles failed to provide investigators with his research notes, claiming the notes were destroyed in a flood.[19]

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    GNLaFrance, good reference. I love this part:

I was aware of this fraud, I agree that Lott's work is solid.

A lot of the hack jobs are trying to' get even for this ' as if it's Lott's fault.
    But it is good to be aware of at least some of the charges. We will be hit with them just like we will get hit with ' in the home' crap..

What a waste of time...

HKB

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2007
    Finksburg, MD
    I hear this arguement from a lot of gun grabbers
    "Massachusetts probably has the toughest laws on the books, but what happens is people go across borders and buy guns and bring them into our state," rationalizes Boston Mayor Tom Menino. "Guns have no borders."
    How does this work? It is still breaking the law if you are bypassing a FFL, is not ALL interstate sales required to go through an FFL? Statements like this and the so called "gun show loop hole" do nothing but fool the uninformed sheeple that may not know any better.

Independence

long member
    Jul 16, 2008
    Nottingham
    This is a good post.

Any time people claim that gun control would work if only other states got on board (Chicago, Boston, Baltimore) needs to look at Puerto Rico. Surrounded by water, it leads the US in terms of gun violence and has strict gun control laws on par with Chicago and New York.

Gun Control doesn't work and the numbers are bearing that out.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    I hear this arguement from a lot of gun grabbers

How does this work? It is still breaking the law if you are bypassing a FFL, is not ALL interstate sales required to go through an FFL? Statements like this and the so called "gun show loop hole" do nothing but fool the uninformed sheeple that may not know any better.

I saw that as well and I am working on a satire, something like Massachusetts (" Where Guns have no boarders, and Government has no brains") but I do like it yet needs work....

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    "It has to be enforced the same way in all jurisdictions", "contamination from over the border", "corrupted by outside influences" was the excuse communists used to use for failure of communism in Russia, eastern Europe and Cuba - if the whole world was communist the pretty flowers, unicorns and rainbows would be everywhere, everyone would have plenty to eat and no one would have to work - its Bush's fault

Armed Citizen

Jul 27, 2010
    Lott's work is solid; if it weren't, it would have been discredited long ago. All his critics can do is pick nits, most of which are made up.

This. I've heard that he has been attacked many times for different things, but each time researchers look into the claims they find them to be false or of minimal impact. Months later the editor of the various journals or pieces where the attack is made posts a response stating Lott's work is correct. I have not looked them up yet though, so there may be a few accusations that have not been concluded. Either way, most if not all of Lott's work is correct and is awesome in my book. :party29:

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    "It has to be enforced the same way in all jurisdictions", "contamination from over the border", "corrupted by outside influences" was the excuse communists used to use for failure of communism in Russia, eastern Europe and Cuba - if the whole world was communist the pretty flowers, unicorns and rainbows would be everywhere, everyone would have plenty to eat and no one would have to work - its Bush's fault

This gives me an idea for a satire. Will work it up as soon as I can. Not sure how to use these, but I will let the hive mind think on it . :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom