SIMPLE Training Videos on the Basics (Grip, Stance, Aim, Etc.)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    My girl has a couple of pistols and likes going to the range with me, she's a pretty good shot. Her challenge - she was a passenger in a head-on car accident a long time ago, that resulted in a traumatic brain injury that significantly limits her short-term memory.

Each time we go to the range, we need to start with the basics (safety, load/unload, grip, aim, stance, etc.) because her limited short-term memory doesn't allow her to retain those items from our last trip.

I'm hoping to find some simple Youtube or other videos where someone goes through these basics in a straightforward manner, without too much extra detail or excessive dialogue. My girl would like to practice these things at home between range trips, so that when we go to the range they can feel more intuitive over time. I have much room for improvement with a pistol, and can likely benefit from strengthening the fundamentals also.

Any ideas or suggestions? I searched for some videos on the web, but the ones I found sure like to talk a lot lol. The simpler the better for someone with limited short-term memory...

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Each time we go to the range, we need to start with the basics (safety, load/unload, grip, aim, stance, etc.) because her limited short-term memory doesn't allow her to retain those items from our last trip.

I'm hoping to find some simple Youtube or other videos where someone goes through these basics in a straightforward manner, without too much extra detail or excessive dialogue.
    Get a phone stand and make your own videos, keep them between 3-5 minutes long. You know best what she needs.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Get a SIRT or Mantis type practice system. It will allow you to work on fundamentals at home.

Videos will be a taste thing. For fundamentals, I happen to like the way Saul Kirsch and Angus Hobdell break down what they do. There are many others that do a better job on the practical/defensive side (the aforementioned guys are both very accomplished IPSC shooters) but for a strict marksmanship and manipulation breakdown, both are excellent.

rswangz

Jan 14, 2013
    Carroll Co
    Sorry to hear about the accident. I've attached a booklet from Ohio State that we use to help clients who have a TBI. The middle portion is particularly helpful as it is often more than just a memory issue. I agree with BurkeM that she will learn what works best for her. Always start with safety first. Grip, stance, etc can be added later. It sounds like you are on the right track. Julie Golob has some good videos

Attachments

• accommodating-tbi-booklet-1-14.pdf
      759 KB · Views: 18

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Get a SIRT or Mantis type practice system. It will allow you to work on fundamentals at home.

Videos will be a taste thing. For fundamentals, I happen to like the way Saul Kirsch and Angus Hobdell break down what they do. There are many others that do a better job on the practical/defensive side (the aforementioned guys are both very accomplished IPSC shooters) but for a strict marksmanship and manipulation breakdown, both are excellent.
    Pretty sure the issue isn't learning fundamentals. The issue is remembering them and wanting small "reminder" videos.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Pretty sure the issue isn't learning fundamentals. The issue is remembering them and wanting small "reminder" videos.
    Saul has some good, short, ones. He does full videos for higher level shooters who want all the details but has "shorts" for the basics. Angus is a personal favorite but is less condensed. I like his delivery style. Some find his accent difficult.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Can you print-off visuals to tape on the range table/wall? Just a quick checklist with pictures could be a big help... especially if she's already got "muscle memory" from past experience. The specific impairments are going to require some specific supports.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Saul has some good, short, ones. He does full videos for higher level shooters who want all the details but has "shorts" for the basics. Angus is a personal favorite but is less condensed. I like his delivery style. Some find his accent difficult.
    Again, this isn't a learning moment for instruction. Burke had it right. They should just make their own short videos to keep on their phones.
    That's what I would do.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    My girl has a couple of pistols and likes going to the range with me, she's a pretty good shot. Her challenge - she was a passenger in a head-on car accident a long time ago, that resulted in a traumatic brain injury that significantly limits her short-term memory.

I'm hoping to find some simple Youtube or other videos where someone goes through these basics in a straightforward manner, without too much extra detail or excessive dialogue. My girl would like to practice these things at home between range trips, so that when we go to the range they can feel more intuitive over time. I have much room for improvement with a pistol, and can likely benefit from strengthening the fundamentals also.

Any ideas or suggestions? I searched for some videos on the web, but the ones I found sure like to talk a lot lol. The simpler the better for someone with limited short-term memory...

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    Holy Crap. I have an old High School girl/classmate friend who had a similar memory loss issue from an accident.

THAT is something how your girl has to start at step 1 each time, but I can picture it. Good luck on the training help.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    The short, self made reminder videos is the best advice. Seeing you as a familiar face in the video may also help some with retention of the information.

TD

paperwork351

no error code for stupid
    Mar 7, 2008
    Gaithersburg
    Does your significant other have revolvers? Even if she doesn't, I prefer to use the revolver grip. It's one grip and works for both types of firearms. You don't have to think about which grip to use for pistol or revolver. If not familiar with it, crossed thumbs for revolver grip. The right thumb touches the middle finger. The left thumb crosses over midway between the first and second knuckles. Most videos show the tacicalkool high thumb. On a revolver the left thumb thats is forward of the flame jet. Must resist the high thumb.

paperwork351

no error code for stupid
    Mar 7, 2008
    Gaithersburg
    Cross thumb grip. Works with one hand shooting. He talks 'combat grip' and that might be true. I use modified weaver
    stance with bent elbows. Easier for me. It's the same grip for pistol or revolver.

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Does your significant other have revolvers?

As a Revolver Guy , I have to say this would be irrelevant in this context with OP's GF .

And as a Revolver Guy , I am totally not following what you are saying re Grip ( Grasp) for Revolver . I dunno if it a written communication thing or what ? But here's how I do / teach it :

Take a proper One Hand grip with dominant hand . Whether there is a gap between thumb and fingers , they touch , or thumb comes to rest on top of fingers is coincidental, and depends upon the length of your fingers , and the size of the stocks .

With support hand , put Fingers Over Fingers , and Thumb On Top of Thumb .

( And same Grip ( Grasp) is also entirely viable with bottom feeders. )

Gun Commander

Industry Partner
    Jan 13, 2023
    Arnold, MD
    I agree with the homemade video suggestions. Maybe even record her doing it, following your instructions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom