• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GottaEat

Aug 24, 2014
    SOMD
    What's the advantage to getting a trust through silencerco vs a bank or nfa lawyer? Is it cheaper then the rest? I'd like to step into the nfa world eventually.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    If you have any inclination to purchase a NFA item, a trust is positively the way to go. It simplifies almost aspect of the purchase and later usage and inheritance by family etc.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    We are seeing more and more customers with DIY trusts, and they have passed ATF scrutiny with no problems.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    I used the 199trust. I have used it to buy a suppressor and am going to form 1 a SBR as soon as I figure out how to scan it and make it a small enough file.

I got it during a deal on Gearhog for $59. Gearhog is having that deal again this week

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Trust question. Lawyer that did my trust wants $250 to ad a co trustee and change beneficiaries. I used this guy initially, even though he was on the high side because I was under the impression that he would handle any future changes included in his original price. Live and learn. Is it hard to amend a trust? At the Silencerco price I could just do a new trust and be done with it for cheaper.

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    Curious how that would work. Would you then have to transfer the current trust items to the new trust (more expensive than lawyer amendment)? Or, would you maintain two trusts with varying co-trustees? Never thought about this scenario.

TyFromMD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2011
    Maryland
    Trust question. Lawyer that did my trust wants $250 to ad a co trustee and change beneficiaries. I used this guy initially, even though he was on the high side because I was under the impression that he would handle any future changes included in his original price. Live and learn. Is it hard to amend a trust? At the Silencerco price I could just do a new trust and be done with it for cheaper.

rico903, I think there are amendment templates available online.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    ATF does NOT scrutinize your trust. They are NOT trust lawyers.

The only time how well your trust is written and whether it really meets the laws of your state is when you have trouble.

And then, what is that generic trust generator or out of state lawyer going to do to help you out?

A local lawyer has a vested interest in seeing that their work holds up in court. Yes, they will still charge you for the defence, but they REALLY want to win.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    We are seeing more and more customers with DIY trusts, and they have passed ATF scrutiny with no problems.

And more and more scare tactics from Lawyers and their fan boys here who will tell you the ATF will be along soon to kick down your door and shoot your dog. :sad20:

I used a template style trust, tweaked it to fit my situation and sent it off, no issues at all.

KevinK

Ultimate Member
    Jun 24, 2008
    Carroll County, Md
    And more and more scare tactics from Lawyers and their fan boys here who will tell you the ATF will be along soon to kick down your door and shoot your dog. :sad20:

I used a template style trust, tweaked it to fit my situation and sent it off, no issues at all.
    Was this something online, or did you purchase software for it?

Thanks!

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Was this something online, or did you purchase software for it?

Thanks!

Got it from Skip at S&J Arms. Just a fill in the blanks template that you can swap things around on if you like.

(On Edit): Skip has been in the firearms business close to 30 years and knows NFA stuff. I trust (pun/play on words intended) his opinion on the topic.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Curious how that would work. Would you then have to transfer the current trust items to the new trust (more expensive than lawyer amendment)? Or, would you maintain two trusts with varying co-trustees? Never thought about this scenario.
    You would have to pay $200 for transfer of each item.
    If your trust gives the grantor the authority to add and remove trustees, you would simply have to write an amendment and attach it to the trust. Examples can be found with a simple Google search.

runswscissors

Jul 11, 2008
    Harford County
    ATF does NOT scrutinize your trust. They are NOT trust lawyers.

The only time how well your trust is written and whether it really meets the laws of your state is when you have trouble.

This was my concern as well. I went with a local guy.

The trust laws can vary state by state. I received Silencerco's email about the 50 state approved trust. I find it hard to believe that there could be a "one trust fits all" solution. Not saying it doesn't exist. But that means they needed to pay somebody - probably many people - to dig into all the states. EVERY. SINGLE. STATE. That is no small feat.

I don't know how big they are, but Silencerco is certainly respected enough that they could have shelled out the huge investment to carry out this huge undertaking. And by pricing it so low, they'd certaily pull in enough customers (by reputation and low pricing) to cover their research investment.

But how well was it researched? I'd rather pay a couple hundred more and sleep comfortably at night. If done right (and you don't experience any major family changes), you shouldn't have to pay the lawyer any more for that trust for years (maybe decades?). The cost becomes irrelevant at that point.

I'm not discounting Silencerco's claims. But I am putting my money on the local guy!

Years ago I was given great advice: Buy once, cry once.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Correct me if I am wrong -- 199trust is a online tool like Turbotax?

Sorta. They ask you a series of questions. Trustee, beneficiaries, etc. Then they email you the completed trust.

Along with the trust, they send you directions on how to amend it. And an overview on how it works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom