• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VulgarDisplay

Feb 25, 2019
    St. Marys
    Just bought two suppressors through SS. The process is not as simple as they make it seem. From the time you make your purchase to the time you actually get to certify on eForms takes about a month. So add that to you wait time.

Lately a lot of people have had issues completing the certification process. It took me three hours at my LGS and only one suppressor went through. I had to go back and do the other a week later, but that one went through in about 10 minutes.

The day I went to pick up my suppressors, there was a guy trying to do the certification. He said it was his fourth day trying and it kept failing. There are a lot of people stuck in certification hell.

I would try Capitol Armory, they dont have the kiosks, but all you have to do is go to a UPS store to get your fingerprints and then you will have a copy of the ETF file for your order and future use. Plus they ship direct to your home when approved.

Last edited:

Rondeezy

Aug 25, 2022
    College Park
    Just bought two suppressors through SS. The process is not as simple as they make it seem. From the time you make your purchase to the time you actually get to certify on eForms takes about a month. So add that to you wait time.

Lately a lot of people have had issues completing the certification process. It took me three hours at my LGS and only one can went through. I had to go back and do the other a week later, but that one went through in about 10 minutes.

The day I went to pick up my suppressors, there was a guy trying to do the certification He said it was his fourth day trying and it kept failing. There are a lot of people stuck in certification hell.

I would try Capitol Armory, they dont have the kiosks, but all you have to do is go to a UPS store to get your fingerprints and then you will have a copy of the ETF file for your order and future use. Plus they ship direct to your home when approved.

I was thinking of going to Archelon Defense cause they have the Kiosk and I talked with the owner who seems cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    What issues was that if you don’t mind me asking. I’m trying to stay away from problems lol.

They put someone else’s purchase on my credit card, as well as my purchase. Also, tried to set up a trust for the suppressor that they put on my account in addition to the one I did purchase.
    Overall, they made my purchase simple. They had a kiosk to complete the forms, did fingerprinting, photo all with ing a few minutes at their display at GAOS.
    I made a more detailed post about the issue in the GAOS thread a few weeks back if you care to check it out.

Rondeezy

Aug 25, 2022
    College Park
    They put someone else’s purchase on my credit card, as well as my purchase. Also, tried to set up a trust for the suppressor that they put on my account in addition to the one I did purchase.
    Overall, they made my purchase simple. They had a kiosk to complete the forms, did fingerprinting, photo all with ing a few minutes at their display at GAOS.
    I made a more detailed post about the issue in the GAOS thread a few weeks back if you care to check it out.

Didn’t known SC had kiosk. Thought it was only SS that had those.

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    I have bought suppressors through both SS and SC without any problems at all. But the process of uploading documents at SC was a bit more complicated than using the SS kiosk. In both purchases, I had them ship the suppressor to Engage Armaments and picked them up there without any issues. YMMV!

Cal68

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    Didn’t known SC had kiosk. Thought it was only SS that had those.

They were at the Harrisburg Outdoor show, with a complete setup to handle the purchase. Perhaps Kiosk is the wrong term. Either way, they made it a one stop purchase. Once the ATF approval comes back, a few additional steps need to be completed, and they ship direct to you.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

Lately a lot of people have had issues completing the certification process. It took me three hours at my LGS and only one suppressor went through. I had to go back and do the other a week later, but that one went through in about 10 minutes.

The day I went to pick up my suppressors, there was a guy trying to do the certification. He said it was his fourth day trying and it kept failing. There are a lot of people stuck in certification hell.

You do know that SS has to Form 3 the can to your dealer of choice, right? The ATF takes about 2-3 weeks to approve a Form 3, then the can is sent to your dealer, and finally your dealer goes over the info for the can and the Form 3 to verify that the correct item was received. Total time can be up to a month.

The problems with certifying are not on the part of SS, not on the part of the ATF for failing to keep eForms running properly.

SS is a hell of a lot easier to deal with when buying NFA stuff than any other entity I've ever dealt with.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Looking to purchase my first can Wednesday, most of the local shops are silencer shop affiliated and have the kiosk which makes it easier. Silencer central allows you to do ezpay for your can which for someone like me who wants multiple cans makes life a lot easier not having to fork out 3k in one go. I have no experience with either company but I’m sure most who have cans have. Are there any perks other than the ezpay that makes it a better option for me? All experiences welcomed with either or are welcomed and appreciated.

Go through Silencer Shop. You'll be happy you did.

Host

MDS Supporter
    Feb 27, 2024
    Naptown
    Go through Silencer Shop. You'll be happy you did.
    +1 on that. Just used them today and again, they are the best option at least here in MD. Super efficient and easy to use. Just make sure you work with an FFL that's paired with them.

Rondeezy

Aug 25, 2022
    College Park
    +1 on that. Just used them today and again, they are the best option at least here in MD. Super efficient and easy to use. Just make sure you work with an FFL that's paired with them.

Yea I’m gonna go to Archelon Defense in Columbia cause they have the kiosk and I talked with the owner

Host

MDS Supporter
    Feb 27, 2024
    Naptown
    Yea I’m gonna go to Archelon Defense in Columbia cause they have the kiosk and I talked with the owner

Was going to order through them, I've heard good things about them and they seem to have great reviews... but... just were not open during my impulsive ordering schedule...lol

VulgarDisplay

Feb 25, 2019
    St. Marys
    You do know that SS has to Form 3 the can to your dealer of choice, right? The ATF takes about 2-3 weeks to approve a Form 3, then the can is sent to your dealer, and finally your dealer goes over the info for the can and the Form 3 to verify that the correct item was received. Total time can be up to a month.

The problems with certifying are not on the part of SS, not on the part of the ATF for failing to keep eForms running properly.

SS is a hell of a lot easier to deal with when buying NFA stuff than any other entity I've ever dealt with.
    I'm well aware of the process, many people are not and don't seem to understand they can't just buy the suppressor and then go certify. That's why I mentioned it can take a month to get to that point.

It doesn't really matter who's fault it is when there are issues with the certification process. The fact of the matter is there are a lot of people that have spent weeks trying to certify without success. This seems to be a recent problem since eForms was updated late last year.

The Silencer Shop process is great in theory and has worked well for many, but it has also been a nightmare for quite a few people. Nothing worse than spending several hours over several days trying to complete the certification process.

After talking to people who have used both Silencer Shop and Capitol Armory, the general consensus is Capitol Armory offers a better experience. Plus Capitol ships direct to your home after the suppressor has been approved.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I'm well aware of the process, many people are not and don't seem to understand they can't just buy the suppressor and then go certify. That's why I mentioned it can take a month to get to that point.

It doesn't really matter who's fault it is when there are issues with the certification process. The fact of the matter is there are a lot of people that have spent weeks trying to certify without success. This seems to be a recent problem since eForms was updated late last year.

The Silencer Shop process is great in theory and has worked well for many, but it has also been a nightmare for quite a few people. Nothing worse than spending several hours over several days trying to complete the certification process.

After talking to people who have used both Silencer Shop and Capitol Armory, the general consensus is Capitol Armory offers a better experience. Plus Capitol ships direct to your home after the suppressor has been approved.
    The ATF jacked up eForms after moving to the new system. Blame the ATF, because certifying is done in eForms.

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    SC has e-forms and will ship the can to your home no local FFL required which is very convenient. Once you do the finger printing etc the first go around, this is no longer required since they already have your info on file making subsequent purchases very easy with most pre filled out forms that only require an electronic signature and minimal additional input. They will sell you anything they don't carry on their site and will provide a cost quote over the phone. It still takes 11 months or so start to finish. I have no experience w/ SS.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    SC has e-forms and will ship the can to your home no local FFL required which is very convenient. Once you do the finger printing etc the first go around, this is no longer required since they already have your info on file making subsequent purchases very easy with most pre filled out forms that only require an electronic signature and minimal additional input. They will sell you anything they don't carry on their site and will provide a cost quote over the phone. It still takes 11 months or so start to finish. I have no experience w/ SS.
    SS does the same thing, minus shipping to your house.

howard762

York Match Director
    Feb 2, 2012
    Stewartstown PA
    I've used Silencer Central twice, and found it very convenient. Even more so the second time (just a phone call and an email exchange). Their cans are great. I have others done other ways and they are fine too.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    I've used SS a few times. Both of my paper form 4s were incredibly smooth and processed fairly quickly. My eForm was a cluster and took longer than both paper forms combined. I would probably use them again as I have a local dealer and SC doesn't have the can I want next.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom