• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    Suppressors need to get out of the purview of the NFA. Outside of shits and giggles they're next to useless at the range - everybody ought to own and use 'em and they should marketed as safety devices.

tkd4life

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2010
    Southern Maryland
    Suppressors need to get out of the purview of the NFA. Outside of shits and giggles they're next to useless at the range - everybody ought to own and use 'em and they should marketed as safety devices.

+1 on this. Why they are so heavily regulated I have no clue. They should be actually encouraged as a great way to cut back on noise pollution.

I really wonder, how many homicides are committed in this country with suppressed weapons.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011

What's funny is that in most countries outside the US they're available off the shelf and, in many circumstances, compulsory.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Only hired assassins and secret agents need suppressors. Jeez, don't you guys rely on mainstream TV to form your opinions? :rolleyes:

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Seeing that 2A protects firearms, I think if anything suppressors should be left in and everything else should come out of the NFA. It may actually be constitutional to regulate suppressors. I would still say no, but a much better case than regulating MGs where military weapons are the very reason for 2A...

hooligan82

Ultimate Member
    Nov 2, 2011
    Baltimore county
    +1 on this. Why they are so heavily regulated I have no clue. They should be actually encouraged as a great way to cut back on noise pollution.

I really wonder, how many homicides are committed in this country with suppressed weapons.
    My understanding is that they were commonly used by poachers and that's why they were made NFA.

JWGuns

Aug 29, 2011
    Pasadena, MD

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    From my limited reading, poaching was frequently a way for people to eat during the Depression. Hence they werer included in the NFA of 1934.

I don't know the accuracy of what I read however.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    From my limited reading, poaching was frequently a way for people to eat during the Depression. Hence they werer included in the NFA of 1934.

I don't know the accuracy of what I read however.

Sounds fishy. Did lots of sporting firearms have threaded barrels back then? Or were guys using some primitive homemade contraption on their hunting rifles?

hooligan82

Ultimate Member
    Nov 2, 2011
    Baltimore county
    Sounds fishy. Did lots of sporting firearms have threaded barrels back then? Or were guys using some primitive homemade contraption on their hunting rifles?
    There is an adapter that came with the suppressor that fits on the end of the barrel. There is a pdf of the sales brochure for the maxim exhaust silencer in this link.
    http://www.forgottenweapons.com/accessories/maxim-silencer/

ca651e4443ab48d845c31de01bab9665.jpg

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    My understanding is that they were commonly used by poachers and that's why they were made NFA.

Legend is that the original language of the bill covered SBRs, SBSs, AOWs, MGs, DDs, and pistols. At some point in the negotiation process, pistols were replaced with silencers.

Think about how different things would be today if the NFA covered pistols.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    This is from the Silencerco Web site.

After many cases involving gun silencers in criminal activity (such as poaching, mob crimes, and robberies), law enforcement agencies started looking at ways to ban silencers. At the same time, mobs were using machine guns and hand grenades in their escapades, which drew even more attention to the need to ban certain items. Then U.S. Attorney General, Homer S. Cummings, recognized that firearms could not be banned outright under the second amendment, so he proposed restrictive regulation in the form of an expensive tax and Federal registration. Short barreled rifles and short barrel shotguns were also regulated by this act of congress since the ability to easily conceal them made law enforcement agencies nervous.
    In 1934, the National Firearms Act was approved and passed by Congress, and the expensive tax of $200 was set on any legal purchase of the certain items listed in the bill. At that time, $200 was far more expensive than any item that was purchased, making it almost impossible for a citizen with an average income to acquire.

http://www.silencerco.com/history/

hooligan82

Ultimate Member
    Nov 2, 2011
    Baltimore county
    Legend is that the original language of the bill covered SBRs, SBSs, AOWs, MGs, DDs, and pistols. At some point in the negotiation process, pistols were replaced with silencers.

Think about how different things would be today if the NFA covered pistols.
    It's a shame SBRs and SBSs didn't make it out as well. I can't imagine going through the nfa process for handguns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom