• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amickey1979

Feb 15, 2008
    Easton, ES of MD
    I know that this is probaly a dead horse but here it goes. I need advice on picking .22 rifle that I would like to supress. I know there are different schools of thought and I would like some opinions. Also if it helps I want a screw on can not an intergrated. My understanding is the Can only last so long and it will need to be rebuilt. I plan on shooting a ton of 22LR so this is an issue.

Thanks for any advice

Adam

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Tere will be a lot of good advice here, but you're in luck. There a re folks up in our dealer's section that are on the Shore and very knowledgable. I don't know jack about supressors, so I'll leave it at that.

Bigdtc

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 6, 2007
    South Carolina
    I am no expert but, I have been looking into this myself. It seems that a lot of guys on here will suggest the Ruger 10/22. You can make it a hunter, plinker, accurized or as tacti-cool as you want to be. The aftermarket parts are endless.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    Well, with a .22, ammo selection plays an important role in the sound reduction. But these subsonic loads can have difficulty providing enough force to cycle a semi auto .22 . A bolt action is a little quieter because you dont hear the action moving , which can be quite loud.

Both Corsica Coatings in Centerville
    http://www.mdshooters.com/forumdisplay.php?f=109 ,
    and
    Mid County Gunshop in Preston
    http://www.mdshooters.com/forumdisplay.php?f=120

Have demo guns and demo silencers. Mid County makes their own. Both have always been willing to let you try them out. Corsica Coating almost forces me to shoot one evertime i see them.

You're going to want a 'can that you can move from gun to gun, correct?

Well, just get one that can be disassembled for cleaning. It will get dirty, and you don't want a can that cannot be serviced.

There's lots of mfr's out there that make such 'cans. All are pretty good sound reduction wise. The .22 is quiet to begin with if you use sub sonic ammo.

rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    Most rimfire cans do come apart,mcg makes a really nice inexpensive can that is quieter than the higher priced mass produced ones out there and it feels really solid like its gonna last a long time. another plus is his is a one peice baffle so its probably alot easier to clean.

ATTYSHOOTER

Mar 31, 2009
    Aside from being able to use a screw on can on different guns, what other pros and cons are ther to integral vs screw on? Is integral quieter? Is one or the other easier to obtain, register, service? Thanks

mch28

Sep 20, 2007
    Most integral's will have porting in the barrel to slow high velocity ammo down to sub-sonic speeds. I have both an integral and screw on suppressor. They both suppress about the same, but on the screw on suppressor, the speed of the round will crack making it louder. I prefer the integral for the 10/22 because of this and usually use the screw on suppressor for pistols and the 22LR AR conversion with subsonics.

amickey1979

Feb 15, 2008
    Easton, ES of MD
    I have heard different schools of thought on the two different types. My understanding is that as with all things eventually the internal parts will wear and it will need to be rebuilt. That being said with a intergrated it is my understanding that there is no way to do this so you have to get a new barrell and on top of the cost of that 200 more to the feds. With a screw on it can be taken apart and serviced and since it is the same "Can" you do not need to pay the 200 tax. Please correct me if I am wrong. Thanks.

Also I have narrowed my choices to a Savage MKII bolt or a Ruger 10/22.

mch28

Sep 20, 2007
    My integral is made by AWC. It is a sealed unit. I emailed them and asked about this a year ago. For around $230, they will cut it open and clean it and then reassemble and refinish if necessary. The outside of it is a sleeve over the barrel and baffles. Once the welds are cut at the chamber end, it should slide apart for them to clean it. I have many 1000's of rounds through mine and it still is extremely quiet. There is a lot of fouling inside, but I'll wait until its getting loud before sending it back. This shouldn't require purchasing a new unit.

There are some integrally suppressed barrels that are able to be disassembled for cleaning.

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    Tactical Solutions Saw Tooth

I own on of the first generation sealed units. It as my Tac 65 are my most shot guns. The Sawtooth with the addition of a bolt buffer is Hollywood quiet. We shoot soda & beer cans in a friends back yard, the cans popping are louder.

The current generation have a removable core for cleaning.

I have heard different schools of thought on the two different types. My understanding is that as with all things eventually the internal parts will wear and it will need to be rebuilt. That being said with a intergrated it is my understanding that there is no way to do this so you have to get a new barrell and on top of the cost of that 200 more to the feds. With a screw on it can be taken apart and serviced and since it is the same "Can" you do not need to pay the 200 tax. Please correct me if I am wrong. Thanks.

Also I have narrowed my choices to a Savage MKII bolt or a Ruger 10/22.

Not exactly. The internal parts (on a modern design) don't "wear out". There is no "wear" to speak of, as the parts are not in contact with each other or moving. What DOES happen is the can will fill up with powder residue and lead spray, sometimes to the point of partially blocking the bore of the can, with the expected results on accuracy and sound reduction. I've heard of baffle strikes ruining 'cans, but I've never seen one in person. Pretty rare...

With a take apart design, you clean it yourself, no need to Form 5 it back to the mfr. and back to you. Form 5 is a tax free transfer, BTW, for repair work or estate transfers. Free, but costly in terms of time.

Of the various designs, I'd go with one with a monolithic baffle. The baffle stack is one complete unit. Much easier to assemble/disassemble.

You CAN file a Form 1 and build your own if you have the metal working equipment and skill. The $200 is the same, and you get to build it yourself when you get approval. I don't have a lathe, and can't really rationalize spending $2,000 for a tool to make a $400 toy, but if you DID have a lathe, it's a viable option....

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    amickey, I think you should stop by and try out my screw on cans. Big advantage to the screw on is being able to put it on multiple guns. I am working on an integral 10/22, and can show you that as well. The design on it will allow the owner to disassemble and clean themselves. As far as wear, as long as you properly maintain it the suppresspor should last a lifetime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom