Sig Slide Lock Problem: Possible Mag Issue?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Venge

Dec 6, 2013
    Frederick Co.
    For Sig p226 owners with mec-gar mags:

The first few times I went to the range with the sig, I had some funny problems where the slide wasn't locking back on the final shot. Long story short is, after troubleshooting my weapon, my grip, etc, I think I've narrowed the problem down. It seems obvious now...

The problem seems to only occur when I use my Mec-gar 18 rnd magazines. The 15 round factory mags have a much stiffer spring and don't have the problem.

In fact, last time I was at the range, my weapon experienced a failure to feed while my girl was shooting! The weapon has no problems when I use the factory magazines.

I'm hoping someone can bounce my theory back as either plausible or BS: I think the mec-gar spring is too weak, and so is not bringing the follower into position with enough force on the final shot. Moreover, I think that the single failure to feed is the result of a too-weak spring. Could it be?

And, if so, should I just upgrade the springs in those magazines? The follower moves smoothly in the magazine body, but the spring itself is MUCH weaker than the factory mag spring.

Last edited:

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    You are riding the slide release with your thumb. Try shooting it left handed and see how those mags work. I'll bet just fine :)
    You just have to incorporate this into your mag exchange ritual. No lock back on empty, drop mag, insert new mag, rack slide, shoot.
    You'll get the hang of it. I've been doing it for years with my 229. No biggie.

Venge

Dec 6, 2013
    Frederick Co.
    You are riding the slide release with your thumb. Try shooting it left handed and see how those mags work. I'll bet just fine :)
    You just have to incorporate this into your mag exchange ritual. No lock back on empty, drop mag, insert new mag, rack slide, shoot.
    You'll get the hang of it. I've been doing it for years with my 229. No biggie.

I thought of that already and paid close attention to my grip (I'm ultra-conscious of this after I was shooting a Taurus 1911 .45 and kept slapping the safety on between shots). That's not to say it's impossible, but it doesn't explain the failure to feed and that it only occurs with those magazines! I can't imagine it's just a coincidence after seeing to at least a half dozen times on the same mag, and not once on the factory mags.

Nevertheless I'll definitely take good advice (thank you!) and practice that ritual. I'd just hate to think I have faulty equipment.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    Glad I am a lefty, You right handed guys have so many issues to deal with. :sad20:

If its not your grip, Take apart one of the 18 rounders and stretch the spring a inch or so and see if that helps. If it does replace the springs in the 18 rounders with Wolfe springs.

Venge

Dec 6, 2013
    Frederick Co.
    Wolfe Extra Power Magazine Springs.. Brownells .com

http://www.brownells.com/magazines/...s/extra-power-magazine-springs-prod25477.aspx

Oh and Mec-Gar is the manufacturer of Sig factory Magazines.

I'd heard Mec-Gar made them, but it's weird because these couldn't be more different. The Mec-gar mags have a different finish, the follower looks slightly different and moves more smoothly, and the spring feels weaker when I'm loading them. Any idea why?

EDIT: I exaggerate... they could be way more different. I don't want to make it sound like these are apples and oranges... the magazines are extremely similar except for exactly the differences I listed.

Last edited:

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    Have fun locking the slide back with your shooting hand.

I do that just like everybody else does it, We just use the other hand.
    But truth be told my Sigs are smart enough to lock back on there own when then need to be reloaded.

Maybe you don't have Made in West Germany pistols :shrug::shrug:

Venge

Dec 6, 2013
    Frederick Co.
    I have 18rd mecgars I shoot with my mk25. No issues what so ever.

I also have a MK25. Do your mecgars feel like they have a significantly weaker spring than your "sig" branded mags?

By the way, thank you all very much for responding and helping me out so quickly! This issue has really been bugging me.

Venge

Dec 6, 2013
    Frederick Co.
    I do that just like everybody else does it, We just use the other hand.
    But truth be told my Sigs are smart enough to lock back on there own when then need to be reloaded.

Maybe you don't have Made in West Germany pistols :shrug::shrug:

Nah, my NH pistol is working just fine until I pop this damn Italian magazine in.

(Jk, jk... I'm half Italian by ancestry)

</attempt to be funny>

But seriously, nothing seems to go wrong with the factory mags.

Venge

Dec 6, 2013
    Frederick Co.
    If its not your grip, Take apart one of the 18 rounders and stretch the spring a inch or so and see if that helps. If it does replace the springs in the 18 rounders with Wolfe springs.

Huh, I may have to try that (does that actually work??). Worst case is I get a new spring anyway.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    Nah, my NH pistol is working just fine until I pop this damn Italian magazine in.

(Jk, jk... I'm half Italian by ancestry)

</attempt to be funny>

But seriously, nothing seems to go wrong with the factory mags.

That post of mine Iwas answering NAME TAKEN on his comment abount being left handed.

If you think its the springs order Wolfe replacement springs from Brownells.

MauiWowie

I have the SIGness...
    Nov 23, 2008
    Harford Co.
    Most common reasons a SIG slide won't lock back on last round:

Shooter's thumb interfering with slide catch lever.
    Shooter not holding pistol firmly.
    Shooter failing to clean and lube the pistol.
    Damaged magazine follower.
    Damaged slide catch lever.
    Damaged/worn arresting notch in slide.
    Severely worn magazine spring.
    Underpowered ammunition (especially in conjunction with some of the above issues).

Mec Gar used to be Sig OEM magazine maker a few years ago. Never had an issue with them..

Venge

Dec 6, 2013
    Frederick Co.
    Most common reasons a SIG slide won't lock back on last round:

Shooter's thumb interfering with slide catch lever.
    Shooter not holding pistol firmly.
    Shooter failing to clean and lube the pistol.
    Damaged magazine follower.
    Damaged slide catch lever.
    Damaged/worn arresting notch in slide.
    Severely worn magazine spring.
    Underpowered ammunition (especially in conjunction with some of the above issues).

Mec Gar used to be Sig OEM magazine maker a few years ago. Never had an issue with them..

Thanks for the info. There was also the failure to feed though, that's what finally convinced me something might be up with the equipment! It seems to narrow the list down to mag spring, ammo, and pistol maintenance.

The pistol and mags are all quite new. I clean and grease the pistol after each range day, and I only have about 600 rounds through it. The ammo I was using during the last failure was PMC bronze, which other people didn't seem to complain about. Does any of that sound like it could be the issue?

I'm just making a laundry list of different things to try next time I get out.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    I use Mec-Gar 15 round mags in my 228 (same as the 226 but compact and less 2 rounds) as an alternate to the Sig 13 rounders. They have worked flawlessly. The pistol was back to Sig for a full service and sight upgrade, and they replaced all the springs and wear parts, so I know the pistol is in working order. I don't have a problem with either the factory mags or the Mec-Gars. For range ammo I prefer the PMC Bronze over the Winchester White Box. It burns much cleaner, and I have found the accuracy to be more consistent shooting tighter groups with the PMC. I have never had a failure in the Sig P228 - ever - with a few thousand rounds through it. Still shoots and looks brand new, or better.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    How do you like your MK25 ?? I have been thinking about that or a scorpian 1911

I love the mk25. It needs the short reset trigger tho.
    I like the scorpion, but I don't like a rail on a 1911. But, if you don't have a 1911 yet, I would get that over the mk. I think. Lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom