• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    When I was shooting this weekend with my P229 with night sights, I realized we had a problem. After the first two shots, the green dot in the front sight was missing. It must have just popped out and dropped to the ground. What should I do? Call Sig? Get a new front sight?

I bought the gun used, but since it is an Equinox from the Custom Shop, I am assuming that it came with the Sig sights. The rear sight is two white dots so I am ok with that.

I was considering replacing the rear sight because with the sig, you are supposed to cover up the target with the front sight. I don't like it that way, instead preferring the 'lollipop' sight picture.

Looking for options. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Dec 6, 2011
    I didn't see a caliber mentioned so I'm guessing it's a 9mm. I'm also guessing you are shooting about 2 inches low at 7 yards and that the sights are a rear 8 and a front 8. This is common with SIGs idiotic drive the dot sighting system. Going to a rear 10 and a front 8 will fix the sight picture issue. I miss the 80s and 90s when SIGs were POA/POI.

You can send it to SIG to have night sights installed, you can buy the sights from SIG or Ameriglo (they make #10s, while other companies make only #6 and #8) and install them yourself, or you can have a smith (either local or Novaks) work on it. If you weren't two and a half hours away, I'd offer to fix it for you.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    I didn't see a caliber mentioned so I'm guessing it's a 9mm. I'm also guessing you are shooting about 2 inches low at 7 yards and that the sights are a rear 8 and a front 8. This is common with SIGs idiotic drive the dot sighting system. Going to a rear 10 and a front 8 will fix the sight picture issue. I miss the 80s and 90s when SIGs were POA/POI.

You can send it to SIG to have night sights installed, you can buy the sights from SIG or Ameriglo (they make #10s, while other companies make only #6 and #8) and install them yourself, or you can have a smith (either local or Novaks) work on it. If you weren't two and a half hours away, I'd offer to fix it for you.

Well, you are full of good information, thanks. It is a .40 cal.

I suspect you are right that it is an 8,8 and my prior research says that you are right on in going with a 10/8. I know what you mean about the sight pic issue. In speaking with the Sig guy at the Harrisburg Outdoor Show, I told him that I couldn't hit crap with it. He told me why, and explained that I could change it as you mentioned.

I was looking into Trijicon, Mepro or Truglo sights, but they don't show what height they are in Sig terms. They provide height in 1/1000ths on Midway's website. Based on your advice, I will look into Ameriglo or Sig sights.

I may take you up on your offer if you are willing to install whatever I get.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    Obsolete, can't I just go with a #6 front and keep the #8 rear? Would that be as effective as a 10R/8F? I am not trying to be thrifty necessarily as I would be fine with a new set.

Dec 6, 2011
    A 6 front would shoot even lower than an 8. The lower the number the lower the bullet strikes. Here are the heights converted from SIG number to 1/1000ths of an inch.

Rear Sight Heights:

#4 = 5.24mm (0.21 inches)
    #5 = 5.52mm (0.22 inches)
    #6 = 5.80mm (0.23 inches)
    #7 = 6.07mm (0.24 inches)
    #8 = 6.35mm (0.25 inches)
    #9 = 6.62mm (0.26 inches)
    #10 = 6.90mm (0.27 inches)

Front Sight Heights:

#5 = 6.01mm (0.235 inches)
    #6 = 5.88mm (0.230 inches)
    #7 = 5.74mm (0.225 inches)
    #8 = 5.60mm (0.220 inches)
    #9 = 5.46mm (0.215 inches)
    #10 = 5.32mm (0.210 inches)

Brownells has a very nice sight correction calculator on their site. If your pistol is a .40, it may be fitted with a #6 front. If that's the case, a #8 will move the poi up.

Last edited:

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    A 6 front would shoot even lower than an 8. The lower the number the lower the bullet strikes. Here are the heights converted from SIG number to 1/1000ths of an inch.

Rear Sight Heights:

#4 = 5.24mm (0.21 inches)
    #5 = 5.52mm (0.22 inches)
    #6 = 5.80mm (0.23 inches)
    #7 = 6.07mm (0.24 inches)
    #8 = 6.35mm (0.25 inches)
    #9 = 6.62mm (0.26 inches)
    #10 = 6.90mm (0.27 inches)

Front Sight Heights:

#5 = 6.01mm (0.235 inches)
    #6 = 5.88mm (0.230 inches)
    #7 = 5.74mm (0.225 inches)
    #8 = 5.60mm (0.220 inches)
    #9 = 5.46mm (0.215 inches)
    #10 = 5.32mm (0.210 inches)

Brownells has a very nice sight correction calculator on their site. If your pistol is a .40, it may be fitted with a #6 front. If that's the case, a #8 will move the poi up.

Thanks again. This will help me figure it out. Stay tuned.

EDIT: I found out that the gun came with the Truglo Tritium Fiber Optic front sight and the Siglite rear. The front sight seems to be a #8 when measured with a caliper. The rear is a little harder to measure, but also appears to be a #8.

At this point, I believe that I have to get it in a rest to confirm where POA/POI is.

Last edited:

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    Update: Sig is so great to deal with. I called them just now and they are going to send me a new Truglo front in size 8 (currently a #6) to replace it with. No charge, just have to wait for the backorder to come in. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom