• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HokieCasey

Aug 7, 2010
    St Mary's
    I bought a Sig 522 before the AG opinion on what constitutes a copies of a regulated rifle. When I bought my 522 it was transferred to me as a regulated firearm. As I understand it per the AG opinion .22 LR copies of regulated rifles are not considered clones unless they can accept a certain set of features from the regulated firearm they are a copy of. As such the Sig 522 is cash and carry today.

My question is, do I need to transfer the rifle as a regulated firearm or via an FFL, or is there an AG opinion/letter than would support me transferring the rifle face to face? Concerned about legalities since it was transferred as regulated.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Some dealers do them as regulated because they are unsure themselves. I know the S&W AR15-22 is not regulated because I bought 2 of them in MD over the last 3 years and it was cash and carry. Only issue is the magazine size. If it comes with a 10 rounder you can take it with you. If it has a 25 round mag the dealer/seller can't legally sell it to you and will keep the mag. You can go across the state line to VA, WV, or PA and buy any mag you want up to 50 rd drums and bring it back legally to MD (at least until Oct. 1). I am pretty sure this holds for any .22 version of an AR/AK. MD is not a state that forces you to buy the CA version with the pinned stock and no flash hider.

Pwilliams1

Apr 25, 2013
    When I bought my 522 it was cash and carry. I don't know legally what you would have to do, but I think I would feel better personally doing the transfer as if it was a handgun.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    There's no law in MD that says "if ever transferred as regulated, it is regulated forever". So, it's not regulated. The end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    BuffaloBrent

Latest threads

Top Bottom