• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brandon1988

Jul 31, 2011
    GAITHERSBURG
    This has probably been done over and over again, but I just wanted to get some people's opinions on what type(s) of firearms & gear you would take with you if you had to bug out? please post lots and lots of pics!!!!

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Dang boating accident!

Attachments

• Sling Shot (Small).jpg
      Sling Shot (Small).jpg
      50.7 KB · Views: 580

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Dogs eat food and many people have strong attachements to them. I personally have NO USE for an animal that eats my food, gets ill, makes noise and generally is useless except for being an alarm. A dog for me in a SHTF is either lead fodder or food, possibly both.

Other SHTF stuff has more to do with having a hidden BUG IN location with lots of food, ammo, water, medical supplies/medicine, NBC gear, Decontamination Gear for everyone, and games....lots of activities to keep people sane.

rpker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 26, 2009
    Charles County
    Dogs eat food and many people have strong attachements to them. I personally have NO USE for an animal that eats my food, gets ill, makes noise and generally is useless except for being an alarm. A dog for me in a SHTF is either lead fodder or food, possibly both.

Other SHTF stuff has more to do with having a hidden BUG IN location with lots of food, ammo, water, medical supplies/medicine, NBC gear, Decontamination Gear for everyone, and games....lots of activities to keep people sane.

Definetly bugging in, unless I have no choice. As for the dog, part of the planning is to take car of ALL of the family members, fido included. I have trained my dog to raise holy hell, especially during darkness, if someone approaches the house. AND i understand that if I gotta eat and he is the last thing available...well...uhh...lets just say I'm a pretty good cook. I do think there will be a large number of domestic animals roaming around in a true SHTF scenario, just look at Katrina. SO my dog probably doesn't have much to worry about.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    Definetly bugging in, unless I have no choice. As for the dog, part of the planning is to take car of ALL of the family members, fido included. I have trained my dog to raise holy hell, especially during darkness, if someone approaches the house. AND i understand that if I gotta eat and he is the last thing available...well...uhh...lets just say I'm a pretty good cook. I do think there will be a large number of domestic animals roaming around in a true SHTF scenario, just look at Katrina. SO my dog probably doesn't have much to worry about.

bugging in = defend in place

These and keep legos on hand incase Clandestine stops by for a visit to keep him entertained :D

NHaze

Mar 15, 2011
    Shepherdstown, WV
    Bugging out. Getting as far away from people as possible. There may be a wait involved depending on the scenario/amount of panicky people headed west.

Need horses. Anything in 5.56, .308, 9mm, .45 - the 4 most common US calibers. Oh and .22 duh. Preferably silenced .22. Knives. Fire. Light weight, non-perishable foodstuffs. Water purification/filtration.

And a place to bug out to of course. Seriously would not want to be on the east coast megalopolis in a true SHTF EOTWAKI occurrence.

This list is in no way complete. Or comprehensive. Just ideas on what might be in MY bug out bag.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Bugging out. Getting as far away from people as possible. There may be a wait involved depending on the scenario/amount of panicky people headed west.

Need horses. Anything in 5.56, .308, 9mm, .45 - the 4 most common US calibers. Oh and .22 duh. Preferably silenced .22. Knives. Fire. Light weight, non-perishable foodstuffs. Water purification/filtration.

And a place to bug out to of course. Seriously would not want to be on the east coast megalopolis in a true SHTF EOTWAKI occurrence.

This list is in no way complete. Or comprehensive. Just ideas on what might be in MY bug out bag.

Horses are good for traveling off normal roads. If you are setup right it will work, but if you use a vehicle to bug out on roads you WILL be ambushed and overrun. Unless you have a Delta or SEAL team with you and APC's you wont make it on roads.

NHaze

Mar 15, 2011
    Shepherdstown, WV
    Horses are good for traveling off normal roads. If you are setup right it will work, but if you use a vehicle to bug out on roads you WILL be ambushed and overrun. Unless you have a Delta or SEAL team with you and APC's you wont make it on roads.

I agree wholeheartedly sir. Off the beaten trail is the idear

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    bugging in = defend in place

This! I'd rather stay home with all of my gear & food/water instead of limiting myself to what me and the family can carry. Besides, I have two little ones which makes travel even harder.

If we had to skoot, I am not sure where I'd go. As far as gear and weapons... Whatever we can carry. But, here's a question: Display firepower or conceal it?

Oh, and yes on the dog.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.

dont forget to bring the family lol

And this is one of the many reasons i have a few sets of catapilar equipment keys . there will be fancy vehicles

Attachments

• bulldozerlocalyarmored.jpg
      bulldozerlocalyarmored.jpg
      82.6 KB · Views: 475

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    But, here's a question: Display firepower or conceal it?

I would display the firepower if confronted, and I would shoot whoever saw it. Im not joking. Most of my gear can kill without giving away my position.

There will be a "warning: to "stay away" where I bug in, if anyone crosses that boundary they best be friends or the range goes hot. No one lives except for children.

NHaze

Mar 15, 2011
    Shepherdstown, WV
    But, here's a question: Display firepower or conceal it?

IDEALLY you won't be seen to begin with.

That said, I wouldn't worry about concealing long guns, but pistols, knives, batons, hatchets, machetes, and slingshots I'd try to keep under wraps. Never want to tip your whole hand.

marko12

Sep 28, 2009
    Maryland, on the Chesapeake Bay
    Clandestine, write a book for a group buy! I agree with everything you have masterfully said. I'm bugging IN, I know the terrain, neighbors, every position, routes in & out, friends and others, my food is here & my stash is here. I have two water supplies, cistern & rain run-off barrels if my well fails, I also have a working outhouse.

Only one negative....I'm alone except for two pets, one fat cat (stir fry) and one Cockatoo who will out live me.

The only gun you really need is a .22, if you're good you can shoot the guy with the .223 take all his stuff.

As far as bugging out, don't, you don't have to look any farther than a trip to the beach during the Summer, bumper to bumper traffic, and this isn't even ALL the people trying to bug out. Just imagine the panic and the road clogging effect not to mention the opportunists who want to take your stuff.

Everyone should have their own agenda, but think about it and plan it before you have to implement it.

Just my thoughts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom