• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Silverlax

Nov 13, 2014
    Eastern Shore
    I've been looking at the various options on the XM-18 and still trying to decide between S35VN choil and the M390 no choil. Anyone with experience among these variations have any opinions?

I've used ZT's M390 and found it takes a great working edge. It will maintain an edge that will be "working sharp" but not "shaving sharp" for that long period of time with most tasks. The S35VN will have a finer edge from what I've seen.

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    Love S35VN, Similar to the gold standard S30V, but easier to sharpen, takes a finer edge, and tougher, probably one of the best all around steels to actually live with. M390 holds an edge for longer, and is more corrosion resistant, but is more prone to edge damage not being as tough. You can choke up onto the choil models if you are careful, and the edge of the blade in front of the choil is useful for some detail work, but comes at the expense of a little blade length, and it can hang up in stuff.

I spent far too long on the web last night researching all of this and your experience pretty confirms most of what I read, so thanks.

The steel, I guess you can't go wrong with either. I like the no choil because if I have to do fine detail work I will probably have another blade on me more suitable for the task and the possibility of slipping and suffering a nasty blade bite makes me think that habitually using a sharp blade in that manner is a roll of the dice. The choil is aesthetically pleasing but more blade is a good thing too.

I have Hinder plus Sebenza cash allotted for blades at this point. I'd love to find an XM-18 3.5 fatty spanto in battle bronze with OD or Coyote scales. I've seen them with Gray scales but they are out of stock. If I find one I'm buying it. May have to settle for the non-fatty version. If so I'll get the non-choil and along with it the M390 steel. I'd kind of prefer the S30VN because I'm pretty familiar with S30V and I like the easier ability to sharpen it.

The Sebenza I'm just going to go with a standard 21 Large, nothing fancy.

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    Hey all, just thought I'd share something I picked up from the New Years Chantilly Show. It's a Tops Brothers of Bushcraft Fieldcraft knife. It'll replace a Glock Knife for my camp Knife. It's 1095 Carbon Steel with a "modified Scandi" grind, Shango notch, and G10 scales. Even has a ferry rod build into the kydex sheath. Bought the demo knife and saved some loot! Enjoy!

cf3934b8e0a18af11c4773edd671df5b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    Hey all, just thought I'd share something I picked up from the New Years Chantilly Show. It's a Tops Brothers of Bushcraft Fieldcraft knife. It'll replace a Glock Knife for my camp Knife. It's 1095 Carbon Steel with a "modified Scandi" grind, Shango notch, and G10 scales. Even has a ferry rod build into the kydex sheath. Bought the demo knife and saved some loot! Enjoy!

Congrats, I've heard good things about TOPS knives.

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    I spent far too long on the web last night researching all of this and your experience pretty confirms most of what I read, so thanks.

The steel, I guess you can't go wrong with either. I like the no choil because if I have to do fine detail work I will probably have another blade on me more suitable for the task and the possibility of slipping and suffering a nasty blade bite makes me think that habitually using a sharp blade in that manner is a roll of the dice. The choil is aesthetically pleasing but more blade is a good thing too.

I have Hinder plus Sebenza cash allotted for blades at this point. I'd love to find an XM-18 3.5 fatty spanto in battle bronze with OD or Coyote scales. I've seen them with Gray scales but they are out of stock. If I find one I'm buying it. May have to settle for the non-fatty version. If so I'll get the non-choil and along with it the M390 steel. I'd kind of prefer the S30VN because I'm pretty familiar with S30V and I like the easier ability to sharpen it.

The Sebenza I'm just going to go with a standard 21 Large, nothing fancy.

I had the opportunity to handle both some Hinderers and Sebenza today. I really wanted a Hinderer with the Fatty blade and the Battle Bronze finish and there were none so I decided to wait. That and someone here posted about some great deals at GovX on Benchmades so I ordered an AFO II and an Adamas. To assuage my disappointment I got the plain Jane Large Sebenza 21. Very happy with it.

Attachments

• 2017-01-05 19.37.21 2.jpg
      2017-01-05 19.37.21 2.jpg
      120.3 KB · Views: 482

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    Congrats, I've heard good things about TOPS knives.

Thanks! Was the first time I had heard of them when I saw it demo'd at the show. After lookin it up, I had no idea they were so well regarded. All I knew was it was cheaper than the ESEE's I was lookin at, and seemed to be better featured.

shooterhyde

Sep 9, 2013
    I had the opportunity to handle both some Hinderers and Sebenza today. I really wanted a Hinderer with the Fatty blade and the Battle Bronze finish and there were none so I decided to wait. That and someone here posted about some great deals at GovX on Benchmades so I ordered an AFO II and an Adamas. To assuage my disappointment I got the plain Jane Large Sebenza 21. Very happy with it.

Very nice! great knife!

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Nice knife, and nice pic too!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland

cf3934b8e0a18af11c4773edd671df5b.jpg

Nice knife! I have the BOB in FDE and love it.

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    I'm in need of a 12 step program. Just got this one in today. Benchmade 950BK-1401 Osborne AXIS Rift - Layered Black/Orange Textured G-10 Scales.

Attachments

• 2017-01-06 21.15.14.jpg
      2017-01-06 21.15.14.jpg
      118.7 KB · Views: 438

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    I'm in need of a 12 step program. Just got this one in today. Benchmade 950BK-1401 Osborne AXIS Rift - Layered Black/Orange Textured G-10 Scales.

What a beautiful knife. Is there a knifeaholics anonymous?
    Been collecting knives for over 20 years and out of room, yet I'm buying bigger blades than ever before. My name is Dan and I'm a knifeaholic....

JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    Crappie cell pic, but my 2 most recent ones. Seem to be on benchmade kick. Really digging the North fork with the wood handle.

Attachments

• 20170107_075554.jpg
      20170107_075554.jpg
      85.3 KB · Views: 425

highli99

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2015
    West Side
    Crappie cell pic, but my 2 most recent ones. Seem to be on benchmade kick. Really digging the North fork with the wood handle.

I like your griptillion there. My wife got me the grey / blue one to go with the mini-grip she got me last xmas.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX

I almost bought that north fork for my dad's bday but went with a boker that was a bit cheaper and had nicer wood.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Here's my modern made knuckle knife collection, most of these I got when I was a lot younger and would buy anything with knuckles. To the right are a lot of fantasy knives made in China, Taiwan, and Pakistan, and to the left are higher quality knives, some custom knives, and replicas of antique trench knives. Made a video too.

Attachments

• 20170114_224451.jpg
      20170114_224451.jpg
      118.3 KB · Views: 323

JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    I almost bought that north fork for my dad's bday but went with a boker that was a bit cheaper and had nicer wood.

Which one as curious as think have new additions?? Like the wood as looks great and resin as knife will spend a lot of time outdoors cutting meat or fish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom