• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    They've set themselves up for a big legal fight.
    Hundreds of thousands of those tac-braces are installed all over the country.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    They've set themselves up for a big legal fight.
    Hundreds of thousands of those tac-braces are installed all over the country.
    No, they haven't. They're not asking anyone to return anything. They're saying you can be prosecuted if you shoulder it. Like I said before: charge a couple dozen people, and everyone will be dumping theirs in the garbage post-haste.

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    so if you use something differently from what it was designed to do, you are then remaking it?

I took my old POS cavalier on a dirt road before, I must have just remade it into a swamp buggy.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    No, they haven't. They're not asking anyone to return anything. They're saying you can be prosecuted if you shoulder it. Like I said before: charge a couple dozen people, and everyone will be dumping theirs in the garbage post-haste.

Yep. I heard an interesting question on the board I pulled this from:

1. Person A and Person B go to the range.
    2. Person A owns an AR pistol with a SIG Brace. He hands it to Person B.
    3. Person B shoulders the pistol with SIG Brace, thus "remaking" it into a (short barrel) rifle.
    4. Who has broken the law? Person A or B? Both?

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    "Constructive Intent" if owned?
    Bumpfire next? This is MD I don't expect anything less well actually this is Federal right.
    How about a 2.5" round one piece buffer tube, injection molded polymer.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    "Constructive Intent" if owned?
    It's "constructive possession", and, no, that wouldn't seem to be in play here, since you're legally allowed to construct the weapon in question.

Bumpfire next? This is MD I don't expect anything less well actually this is Federal right.
    Yes, this is a federal issue. I do not expect bumpfire to be next, but who knows?

How about a 2.5" round one piece buffer tube, injection molded polymer.
    Don't shoulder it. :)

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Yep. I heard an interesting question on the board I pulled this from:

1. Person A and Person B go to the range.
    2. Person A owns an AR pistol with a SIG Brace. He hands it to Person B.
    3. Person B shoulders the pistol with SIG Brace, thus "remaking" it into a (short barrel) rifle.
    4. Who has broken the law? Person A or B? Both?
    Person A remade it into a pistol when he took back possession, I suppose. I'd lean towards only Person B in this case. "Once an SBR, always an SBR" is not something the BATFE has promoted, AFAIK.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    How come that ruling is not on the BATFE firearms section homepage?

They changed thier ruling on VFG on pistols over 26" and that is there. This ruling effects a lot more people than that one. How come the margins and print size change in the letter?

This looks really fishy. I will not shoulder my brace until this works out but I still don't believe 100%

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    How come that ruling is not on the BATFE firearms section homepage?
    Not every ruling gets posted up, and certainly not immediately. You really expect the bureaucracy to work quickly?

Denying the authorship of the letter is ludicrous. This is the same guy who's written the other letters stating the same premise. He's the head of the tech branch, what he says does matter.

gerres26

Jun 21, 2010
    Ceciltucky
    Yea, the guys over on ARFCOM are saying this letter looks very fishy also and I tend to agree with that. It just looks very different from all of the previous approval letters that have been posted everywhere.

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    Yea, the guys over on ARFCOM are saying this letter looks very fishy also and I tend to agree with that. It just looks very different from all of the previous approval letters that have been posted everywhere.

What appears to be fishy is where was this letter for the last 30 plus days? Why is it just coming out? The Shockwave technologies brace fin letter was released almost immediately, why did this letter take so long to get out? This letter is far more definitive than previous letters..... Seems a little strange.

Pmbspyder

Platinum Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    This is the same guy who wrote that a sig brace is NOT a stock and therefore misuse and shouldering doesn't change classification of the firearm (the letter in response to Sgt. Bradley)

Here he is 8 months later saying that misuse can reclassify your firearm? Complete horseshit, good luck with that.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    It looks like every other BATFE letter I've seen. They have typos, it happens. The ARFCOM crowd is just scared (rightfully so) that their magic SBR loophole is being plugged. We're lucky the letter didn't read "based on new analysis of usage patterns, we believe these braces were never truly intended for use as braces, our previous letters made their rulings based on that incorrect premise, and these braces are therefore considered stocks".

I'm sure AG Frosh will be looking forward to helping the BATFE enforce this new interpretation.

Pmbspyder

Platinum Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    Someone needs to send the acting chief of the firearm tech branch both of his letters with his contradictory opinions and ask him to clarify himself. Otherwise this new letter is noise.

gerres26

Jun 21, 2010
    Ceciltucky
    And, that's part of the reason I just paid $200 multiple times.

Problem is, if you were to follow this letter word for word than just putting a pistol buffer tube against your shoulder would now classify that weapon as a SBR which is just crazy. Or placing any pistol against your "shoulder" at any point would make it a SBR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom