• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    So I took my newly acquired service grade HRA to the range to test it out. According to the tag Muzzle reading 2, throat reading 2+.
    After getting the elevation zeroed I was only able to get it to shoot 7 to 8 in groups at 100yards. Thinking I was maybe just having a bad day I grabbed my service grade springfield (muzzle reading 1, throat reading 2) and put 8 rounds in about a five inch group which is about average for me with that rifle.
    So I was anticipating the HRA not shooting as well with the higher erosion numbers but I cant help being disappointed.
    For those with more experience does this sound about right? Any suggestions for improving it? I don't really want to change the barrel.

Furious George

May 10, 2010
    Your barrel is fine from a wear perspective. A 2 on the TE is still in the new range. The Army considered anything out to 10 as servicable.

Such a small difference in readings is unlikely the cause of an accuracy differential.

Garands are not benchrest rifles. There are a lot of things not related to the barrel that will effect how well an M1 shoots. These other factors will often overwhelm barrel condition.

I would look at things like bedding, stock/hanguard fit (including binding or other interference with the moving metal parts), slop in the sights, gas system and other parts before I looked at the barrel. If these things are not right, a Garand with a new commercial match grade barrel will shoot like crap.

I'd also look at ammo quality and bench technique if the best you can get from the "control" rifle is 5 MOA. I've got M1's with dark grooves, worn lands and no rifling near the muzzle that will do 5 MOA. I have no intention of replacing the barrels on them - I keep them around as "blasters" for low demand applications like plinking and multi-gun matches.

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    Using HXP, shooting prone with a sling. I'm not that great a shot and I'm not expecting precision I was just surprised that they shot so differently. I checked for op rod binding and everything seems ok. Hand guard isn't any tighter or looser than the other rifle. The rifling at the muzzle isn't as sharp and the gas tube seems a tiny bit looser.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    you should be shooting 1" groups all day long with this setup.
    did you have some caffeine prior to going to the range?

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    you should be shooting 1" groups all day long with this setup.
    did you have some caffeine prior to going to the range?

One inch groups is better than I can do(like I said I'm not that good a shot) but at 100 &200 yards I routinely keep them all on the black when prone w/a sling. Offhand is a different story :). That's why I was so surprised at the performance of the HRA. Sling tension is not an issue. I used the same sling setup for both rounds and the variance was mostly L to R not U & D.
    Again I was mostly surprised at the difference. I kind of expected both rifles to shoot similarly. I AM NOT A GREAT SHOT. I AM NOT EXPECTING 1MOA! The trigger puller is the bugesr problem. I just thought 2 rifles with measurements that close would shoot similar.

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    Preened the gas tube splines last night. That took the slop out. Was able to put all 8 in the black today at 100yards. I'm sure it could be better but it's now at least equal to my other rifle.

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    You should be able to get 2-3" groups from a rested or slinged position. Make sure the gas screw is tight and that the sights are secure. Allow a better marksman to shoot the rifle and compare groups. A 1" group from an untuned Garand is not realistic with M2 Ball ammo. I've owned over 50 Garands and have won or placed with several of them, but I've never had one that would shoot a minute of angle at 100-200 yards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom