• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zebramochaman

May 3, 2009
    Damascus, MD
    I bought this Fausti Stefano O/U from a buddy of mine last year. We took it out to shoot some sport clays and after shooting 300 rounds it was apparent that the reach on this gun is too long for me.
    Does anyone know of a good Smith that will do a quality job on this for me?
    This is a quality gun and I am afraid of having a sloppy job being done on it.

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    Ask Steve Brown at the Gun Shack in Mt Airy. He doesn't do this work, but I'm sure that he has a local gunsmith he uses. First though, make sure that the gun is really too long for you and it's not the way you are mounting it. Secondly, have someone who knows shotguns work with you for the correct LOP for you. With shotgun stock LOP, just a wee bit too short or too long does make a big difference, so you need to get it right.

Just as a side note, fitting a pad isn't all that tough to do on your own if you're handy, but you do need some basic tools. You need a good chop saw, a big disc sander and a pad jig. I started doing my own a few years ago after getting tired of paying a smith $90 or so to fit a pad and waiting forever to get it done. Mine come out perfect (and no, I don't work on other guys guns), and I'm not the most patient guy in the world.

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    Barts does not have a gunsmith on staff. They farm it out. Glen Burnie is a fair hike from Damascus (upper Monkey County).

zebramochaman

May 3, 2009
    Damascus, MD
    Thank you for the replies. I guess I will start with Steve at the Gun Shack since it is close to me and I have done business with them before. I don't really know Steve that well. I usually deal with Suzie or Sarah.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Im out of the game now, but my former employer (Scotts Gunsmithing Service) does this work consistently. To do the job right you need to be measured for the gun. Youll have to chose the color and thickness of the pad and that will be consideren when the stock is chopped. The pad can be installed at an angle or rounded out depending on the use.

Scotts backlog is about 10 weeks though. They have about 200 guns in for repair right now and will soon be cuttting off any new work until further notice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom