• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gibby

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2007
    Bel Air, MD
    Calling all shotgun reloaders. Looking for advice on a good press for a beginner with a limited budget. Would like to be able to reload 12 and 20 gauge. Any suggestions?

00-Guy

Feb 15, 2008
    Volume is the issue

The right answer is dependent on how much you plan to reload and shoot.

The Lee Load-All is a great reloader if you are doing low volume reloading or reloading buckshot or slugs. A used one can often be had for cheap. A entry level MEC 600 Jr is great if you are shooting a bit more. Used is still good to go with these loaders. The MEC 650 is a nice entry level progressive if you are shooting several trap and/or skeet rounds a week. From there the sky is the limit on shotshell reloading. I own a Dillon 900. They can be found used for around $600-700. Poness Warner makes a good reloader. (PW 600 or 900) The gold standard of shotshell reloaders is the Spolar. Figure $2000 to get in the door. The progressives are used by those folks who believe that they shoot competitively (like me) who routinely shoot 250-500 shells a week. (25 to 50 rounds a week) Some are hand operated, some use hydraulic mechanisms, and other have an add on electrical advance.

Good luck

jjboxman

Nov 18, 2008
    Pa & Md
    Mec also makes a progressive (9000g I think) loader that is cheaper and works well. If you are not loading many shells getting 2 seperate non progressive loaders will save time in changing dies.

bigjohn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 29, 2007
    i have a mec 600 it think in 12 ga that is collecting dust. i am cheap and like to trade. any offers. i will check to see what model it is for sure later but it is a mec

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    The right answer is dependent on how much you plan to reload and shoot.
    A entry level MEC 600 Jr is great if you are shooting a bit more. Used is still good to go with these loaders.
    The MEC 600 JR has always been a performance bargain for the lower volume shooter. Very versatile.
    The MEC 650 is a nice entry level progressive if you are shooting several trap and/or skeet rounds a week.
    Agreed. I've got about 3 gazillion rounds on my 650. Bought it in the mid-1970s and it's still running pretty good.

Mossyoak

Never enough
    Jan 5, 2009
    Ceciltucky
    Agreed, MEC 600 Jr. works great, not going to set you back too much. You can get in a good groove and pump out some shells.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom