Shotgun practice off the fantail in the bay?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BurtonRW

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2007
    Pasadena
    Well, not the fantail exactly, but the back of the boat...

Boss was told by a second person he should consider a shotgun for HD, so now he's convinced. :thumbsup:

Anyway, he asked about the legality of target practice from his boat in the bay. The best I could tell him off hand is that it would be a jurisdictional issue based on the county whose waters he was in, DNR regs notwithstanding.

I keep the shotty in my car unloaded so as not to run afoul of DNR hunting from a vehicle regs (like there's a lot of wildlife on the beltway - but I digress). Would the same apply to boats?

What about legitimate target practice? Assume that his direction and choice of ammo is safe (I'm thinking #9 birdshot would be safe as long as you were visually clear and shooting at the water at any angle). Tie an old mop on a line and have at it. What restrictions may apply? What response from the gunshots?

Sure, I could paste together an answer based on the law, but I figure it's actually come up at some point and I don't really feel like reinventing the wheel if DNR, etc. has an actual policy or interpretation in place.

Thanks.

-Rob

boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch
    Not entirely sure, but the bay itself is considered US territory and public water. You would have to take a look where the state lines go and then refer to the state's laws concerning shooting on public posessions, shooting on or near waterways, posession of a loaded firearm in a boat etc.

To have no rules applying to you, you would need to go outside territorial waters.

krucam

Ultimate Member
    Isn't the MD law written as 150 yards from another dwelling? I've toyed with taking out my handgun on my and friends sail boats, and popping off a few, so am curious to this one as well...
    :D

Mark C.

BurtonRW

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2007
    Pasadena
    To reiterate... not talking about hunting, but about target practice.

(Although with the proper load..._)

ChannelCat

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    We saw the Maryland gubenatorial yacht (I believe the governor was Mandell at the time) on the bay when I was a kid in the late 1970's, and they were literally trap shooting off the fantail. Its my understanding the yacht is in mothballs.

I'm not sure, but I would imaging that you could shoot off of your boat as long as it was safe. Shotguns would probably be ok, but they would probably frown on handguns and rifles for safety reasons.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    Target practice at what?
    Shooting across water is a dangerous proposition. Even shottie BB's will skip all over the place. Been there done that thousands of times. BE CAREFUL and be sure of what is well beyond your target in a fan of at least 90 degrees either side of the target.
    I'd guess MSP USCG and DNR would have something to say about it.

mixman

2nd Amendment Supporter
    Sep 28, 2009
    Carroll County
    I too believe that lead shot is a no-no for the Chesapeake. To my knowledge, it isn't illegal to keep a loaded shotgun on a boat that has a living compartment, a head, and a galley, as that qualifies as a home (despite what the lame animated required MD gun safety course attempts to claim when speaking about smaller vessels and showing a graphic of a cabin cruiser).

As for the OP's question about shooting on the Bay, I wonder if the same rules as shooting on public property would apply? Natural Resources Police would be the agency to ask. USCG only enforces federal laws to my knowledge. Here's NRP's number. They're usually really nice to talk to and the people who answer will have an officer call you back in a short amount of time: (410) 260-8888

Let us know what you find out.

BurtonRW

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2007
    Pasadena
    They're usually really nice to talk to and the people who answer will have an officer call you back in a short amount of time: (410) 260-8888

Let us know what you find out.

Just spoke w/ the woman answering the phone (and waiting for an officer to call). She was polite, but didn't have the first clue as to what I was talking about or what she was talking about.

Started by telling me that if I was anchored, I couldn't shoot waterfowl.

:confused:

Insisted that I needed to tell her what county I was launching from (okay, I'll make something up). Asked, "what are you target shooting... waterfowl?" No, not hunting, target shooting. "What are you shooting at?" Does it matter? "Yes, it does, sir." Okay, how about if I take a cotton mop head and tie it to a 30 foot line and shoot at that?

[silence]

"Wow.... you need to talk to an officer."

At which point she took my name and number. She identified it as a "hunting" question and someone will get back to me.

boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch
    She identified it as a "hunting" question and someone will get back to me.

Honestly, make it a hunting question. Tell the officer that you guys want to shoot waterfowl next season but you are a) not accustomed to shooting from a boat and b) the light reflections make it harder for you to aim. Therefore you intend to be a responsible hunter and PRACTICE on a non-living target somewhere out there in winter when you do not endanger anyone.

Let's see what they will tell you! At least it sounds better than "I wanna shoot the hell out of an old mop" and will be easier to understand.

Rough_Rider

Oct 31, 2008
    Howard County, MD
    "Insisted that I needed to tell her what county I was launching from (okay, I'll make something up)."

The proper answer is "Frederick County, Ma'am". Let's see just how sharp she is :)

Sea Duck hunting is legal with the right permit and stamps, etc. Maybe the solution is to get all legal for "hunting" and while you are out on your boat who is to say what you actually shoot at. Those ducks can be pretty hard to hit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom