• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tyeraxus

Ultimate Member
    May 15, 2012
    East Tennessee
    A friend took me out to the range today while I was in town and brought along his Mosin carbine (M44 maybe? I didn't get anything more than "Mosin carbine"). Damn, did it kick like a mule! But I had a blast and put rounds in the black at 100 yards, and we were getting close to a swinging steel 6"x12" 225 yard target with open sights (until I tried standing, then I was missing by a good 8-12 inches before called flyers).

Like I said, I had a blast. I'm thinking of picking something up for a hunting rifle in the near future, and the Mosin seems like it would fit the bill, but I'd need a lot more practice before I'd feel comfortable shooting at a deer with one; I don't want to just wound the animal and have it suffer due to my poor skill. The alternative rifle is something in .308 Win, which would probably get expensive to shoot in a hurry, but I'm new to large caliber rifles - today was my first Mosin shoot and I've never shot anything in .308, so I have next to no first-hand experience.

So, some questions. First, I think I need an icepack for my shoulder; are there recoil pads or anything available for one that make it not beat my shoulder to hell and back? I know, I know, I'm a wimp.

Second, how does the "felt recoil" compare to something in .308 Win, like a Rem 700 or even a semi like a Rem 750 (or hell, a PTR91GI that I've had my eye on)? I know Mosins are much cheaper, but I'll pay more for something I'll actually use, and if the .308 is going to be easier on my shoulder I'll practice more and be a better shooter.

Third, how is ammo? I know 7.62x54R is supposed to be cheap and plentiful in milsurp, but I don't know that I'd want to use standard ball for hunting. Is SP or HP available, and what's the price like? I saw some SP on CheaperThanDirt.com, but it was for ~$0.50 per round, which isn't exactly the "cheap" I was looking for (friend was telling me he got a bunch of milsurp for $0.12/rd or so).

Fourth, I don't see the Mosin on the regulated firearms list, but that doesn't mean there's not an addendum or bulletin or something I didn't see. Anybody know off the top of their heads if it's regulated?

Fifth, if I do decide to get one, anybody know if an IP has one or will have one in the next few months? I prefer to buy local and in person when I can.

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    Mosins do kick rather hard, and the hard butts on them do not help lol...most shooters i see put a rolled up towel on their shoulder for extended sessions. I had a rem 700 sps tac in 308 that wasnt very gemtle either, but the soft hogue stock kept it from really being rough. You may be able to slip a limbsaver on the mosin. I put 7.62x54 inbetween .308 and .30-06 on both power and kick, that being said my 03a4 is more comfortable to shoot than the 700 was, but thats because its heavier and has a 26" barrel vs the 20 " 700 tac

Edit: correction, 24" on the 03a4, just measured it

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    They can become addictive. There are so many variations to them, you can spend the rest of your years collection all the different kinds. Apparently I am addicted to them as some on here would say. :tinfoil:

BPSballistics

Aug 11, 2012
    Glen burnie
    Awesome man I remember the first time I fired my M38 mosin nagant. And yes she kicks as well hence its the smaller carbine edition. 7.62X54R isnt to bad on price just finding it can be sometime difficult sometimes not. If it was an M44 it would have a side folding spike bayonet the M38 has no bayonet. Both are the same size. the 91/30 is the longer of the editions. But glad to see you had fun with it. Every time i fire mine people go DAMN WTF WAS THAT. usually turns heads. Loud plus muzzle flash is crazy on it.

Tyeraxus

Ultimate Member
    May 15, 2012
    East Tennessee
    Yeah it had the side folder spike so it would have been the M44. Thinking back I think I was probably flinching since I remember the flash when my friend was firing it but not when I was. Guess I need to shoot more. The rolled up towel is a great idea, I'll have to remember that.

BPSballistics

Aug 11, 2012
    Glen burnie
    yeah the muzzle flash on these guns are simply amazing. And the sound is flat out sexy on a mosin nagant. Old school powerhouse. I love mine and I asked my fiancee if I ever die can she bury it with me. I dont use anything i just shoulder fire it with the metal butt plate but usually after 50-60 rounds in I really start getting irritated. And another thing for some reason if i go to the rifle range and run my mosin alot im extremely tired when i get home. But im glad you got to experience this rifle because it truly is a beauty and overlooked. You should pick one up if your ever interested. If you ever have questions ask me its one of the guns I know alot about. History and all. Ill post a pic of mine soon I polished my bolt so well its literally like a mirror.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Mosins don't kick bad. Just keep it tight on your shoulder and you'll be fine. Many men that complain of mosin recoil typically take a few maxi-pads they have in their man-purse and tape them on to the butt of the stock for relief. A slip on limbsaver pad is a good addition though. It'll help with recoil, but more importantly, it will lengthen pull. The stocks are pretty short, because of being fit for people with thick coats on. Shooting it in a t shirt, the extra length is nice. The carbines are nice with the crappy old military powder at making fireballs.
    My mosin at night.jpg

http://7.62x54r.net/

be sure to visit the above link and learn more than you ever would need to know about the mosins

BPSballistics

Aug 11, 2012
    Glen burnie
    Yeah like smokey said hold her tight to ya. Dont make the mistake i made when i first fired mine i tried to shoot it laying down and diddnt have it on my shoulder correctly.......Ouch usually I fire her standing or crouched.

sbmike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2011
    Almost Heaven, WV
    To answer your fifth question, check around with some of our IPs. Seems to me I've seen them around locally and the prices, while not as cheap as you can get them if you have a C&R license, are still very reasonable as far as rifles of that caliber go. As you've already discovered, milsurp ammo is plentiful if you buy in bulk. I believe I bought some not long ago and I paid around $160 for 880 rounds (two large sardine cans). All of it corrosive and you have to take certain cleaning precautions after you shoot it, but for the price, it's worth it.

BPSballistics

Aug 11, 2012
    Glen burnie
    To answer your fifth question, check around with some of our IPs. Seems to me I've seen them around locally and the prices, while not as cheap as you can get them if you have a C&R license, are still very reasonable as far as rifles of that caliber go. As you've already discovered, milsurp ammo is plentiful if you buy in bulk. I believe I bought some not long ago and I paid around $160 for 880 rounds (two large sardine cans). All of it corrosive and you have to take certain cleaning precautions after you shoot it, but for the price, it's worth it.

good point mike about the corrosive ammunition. thats def something that cannot be ignored.

MississippiJoe

Jul 21, 2012
    Mosins don't kick bad. Just keep it tight on your shoulder and you'll be fine. Many men that complain of mosin recoil typically take a few maxi-pads they have in their man-purse and tape them on to the butt of the stock for relief. A slip on limbsaver pad is a good addition though. It'll help with recoil, but more importantly, it will lengthen pull. The stocks are pretty short, because of being fit for people with thick coats on. Shooting it in a t shirt, the extra length is nice. The carbines are nice with the crappy old military powder at making fireballs.
    View attachment 63790

http://7.62x54r.net/

be sure to visit the above link and learn more than you ever would need to know about the mosins

I like it!!!

Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County
    To answer one of your questions, they do make soft point hunting ammo in 7.62x54R. It would work fine for deer or just about most game found in the continental US.

I have used my Mosin for deer hunting, but I never shot at one with it. Theoretically, if you are sure of your ability make proper shot placement with it, it should be fine for deer hunting, although the Mosin be a little heavy and possibly cumbersome.

Lawman1800

Jul 29, 2012
    I have 7.62x54R soft point in my safe right now. I have never shot a deer with my Mosin but it would be great for hunting. I have the M44 also. The rifles are super cool and dead nuts accurate.

Zombie_013

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 30, 2011
    Germantown, MD
    I fell in love with the Mosin Nagant after the last Chantilly show. Amazon sells the limb savers to help with the recoil. My shoulder was black for a week the last time I shot mine; however I am not used to shooting anything larger than a 7.62 x 39 and sometimes shotgun slugs.

damosan

Feb 21, 2009
    As others have said I find that if you hold the rifle in tight you can pop a ton of rounds with no issues.

Buy the cheap FMJ for target practice and shoot all day. It'll be corrosive so you'll need to perform an extra step while cleaning (super hot water). When you're ready to hunt go out and buy the much more expensive SP.

"Much more expensive" is relative here but SP is closer to $1.00 or more per round while the milsurp ball is in the low to mid-teens per shot.

D.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom